Round two with tractor purchase

/ Round two with tractor purchase #11  
I mow my pastures/extended yard with a 84" finish mower. I'm on a 45hp mahindra with AG tires and if it's slightly wet it'll leave prints but when its dry it's fine. The fronts (2wd) cut worse than anything.

I do keep a cheap lawn mower for my yard when needed. If I had anymore land I would consider a batwing

/ Round two with tractor purchase #12  
**** orange muscle. A tractor under cover does not rot. Just because it is parked for a month is not a waste of money.
In my farming days my MF135 would sometimes be parked in the shed for 3 weeks between jobs. It did about 500 hrs/yr.

/ Round two with tractor purchase #13  
Needs are...
1) Keeping the sides of the new driveway beautiful and manicured. There are 20" shoulders on both side going down that need to be bush hogged through the summer.

You will probably find that it's overkill and expensive to maintain a 20" shoulder with a compact tractor. I did, and my shoulders are more like 48" with a ditch beyond that. You'd need something like a sickle mower which is expensive but only for grass and light (1/4" or less) brush. I ended up letting the outer part of the shoulder grow back in and mow the inner 24" with my riding mower. If I need to reach into the ditch a weed whacker with brush blade is effective (of course, only in isolated spots since the driveway is long -- I'd never want to weed whack the whole length). As much as I wanted to maintain the shoulders with my Kubota I concluded it was going to be overkill/expensive and less than optimum.

/ Round two with tractor purchase #14  
Kubota B3350. And, don't beat yourself up on the other tractor. I bought a B2320 for my mountain property and sold it two years later at only an $800 loss. Now I'm wondering what to do there myself...

Absolutely not. Not until they come out with the new engine/emissions system on that machine. The B3350 is the least reliable machine in the Kubota lineup.

/ Round two with tractor purchase #15  
I use my L6060 with a 8 foot finish mower on 8.5 acres and my B2650 in the yard around trees with the mid mount mower. I have front buckets, forks and grapples to fit both units.
8A0359F1-BF47-4A22-835F-87021770CF67.jpeg

/ Round two with tractor purchase
You will probably find that it's overkill and expensive to maintain a 20" shoulder with a compact tractor. I did, and my shoulders are more like 48" with a ditch beyond that. You'd need something like a sickle mower which is expensive but only for grass and light (1/4" or less) brush. I ended up letting the outer part of the shoulder grow back in and mow the inner 24" with my riding mower. If I need to reach into the ditch a weed whacker with brush blade is effective (of course, only in isolated spots since the driveway is long -- I'd never want to weed whack the whole length). As much as I wanted to maintain the shoulders with my Kubota I concluded it was going to be overkill/expensive and less than optimum.

OOPS, I meant to put 20' foot shoulders instead of inches. Its quite wide all the way down.

Great insight from everyone.

I called the kubota dealer and he has 2 of the new Grand L 3560 Limited Edition models which are priced nicely. I don't need the cruise controls or the side mirrors. He is also pricing out L4060. Still can't believe the Everything attachments is still backed up for months. Just called since I remember they were moving into a new building to cut down the absurd wait times. They said they had there busiest order day on the first day they moved in. They should stop prowling on the forums drumming up more business until they can catch there breath.

Also, I am watching every video I can on flail and rotary cutters.

/ Round two with tractor purchase #17  
I thought about a flail till I got my rotary thrown in with the tractor. I don't cut any real brush heavier than .5" or so but one feature mine has compared to a few I looked at was lifting blades like a mower. It makes a super clean finish cut comparable to my finish mower. Only difference is the wind row it makes but I think I have a fix for that.

/ Round two with tractor purchase #18  
Embarrassing, frustrating, and perhaps comical as well.

I have 20 acres I purchased and built a home with a half mile driveway. I initially wanted a tractor and was confused. Posted here and read tons. I finally decided I wanted the biggest and baddest machine, so I got a new Kubota L6060 with a cab, loaded with every accessory. Loved it, I called it my Caddilac. It was overkill. I mainly used it for grappling. I cleaned up the property well. Then there was a period after I moved in where I did not use it for like a month. Thought that it was I crazy that I had a 50K machine rotting in my garage. At this time I could not justify the machine. I have a great neighbor who plows my half mile driveway for only 75 dollars. Meanwhile I'm looking at getting a V plow for L6060 and a monster front snowblower, which was like 10K for both. There was no grass yet at this time, but the lawn area is 1.5 acres. I briefly tinkered with the idea of putting a finish mower on the back and making quick work of things, but thought the weight was too much and would rut and makes things unattractive. The house and lot are gorgeous. Im an inexperienced homeowner who just wanted the best machine. For some crazy reason I decided to sell it. Posted it and sold it in a week. Only surprisingly lost $1,500 after using it for 6 months.

Here I am today, desperately wanting another tractor. The driveway is getting paved next week. I called a local rental place to rent a skid steer with a grapple for a week and they wanted 2k. I am looking at this second tractor purchase differently. I am going to do what wise tractor people do, list needs and then find a suitable machine.

Needs are...
1) Keeping the sides of the new driveway beautiful and manicured. There are 20" shoulders on both side going down that need to be bush hogged through the summer.

2) Snow removal. Even though my neighbor does it cheap. I would rather do it, and just love anything to do with snow. Im thinking a front blower would be good. The driveway pavement will be 12' wide. Maybe also get a blade for lighter amounts.

3) Grappling. Seems like even though I did most of the grappling to get the place looking good, there always seems like more to do, especially since Im really obsessed with as my brother calls, manicuring the forest. I am plucking out out dead branches on the ground whenever they are within sight. I bought a 13 horse billy goat blower and have blown away so many leaves the woods look beautiful.

4) Mowing. I have not purchased a mower yet because the first lawn that was attempted in the fall did not take. So I just hydro seeded everything last week and will hopefully have a lawn to mow in a month or so. I am torn between somehow finding the right tractor that can mow properly. Unlikely though since I read time and time again that zero turns are far superior in terms of price, cut quality, and cutting time. I am mildly concerned with some sloped areas I have. Though maybe the tractor would be better in the stability department.

5) Probably bucket work. I never used the bucket much when I had the L6060. It really is just a luxury wheel barrel I suppose.

6) Fun. I need to enjoy the machine. I could easily sub all my chores out, but would do it myself. I need the cab to be able to comfortably enjoy all the seasons here in the Northeast. Also, with the cabbed L6060 I had, not only was it great with the AC and not getting dirty, but several times I disturbed huge bee and hornets nests grappling and thought how awful it would be in an open cab.

I want the best machine for my needs. I am a Kubota fan. I'd like to make purchase this week. One mistake I believe I made was abruptly selling the first machine because of how infrequently I would use it. Maybe it is normal to have tractor and not use it for several weeks at a time. I mistakenly thought since sometimes several weeks go by and it doesn't get started that it was unnecessary to have one. What a fool I was. I will be smarter the second time around, I hope!

Thank you
Keep what you have add a front snow plow,brush hog and buy a JD X700 series or Zero turn for mowing the yard.This combo has served me well so far.

Attachments

• IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 361
  • 217.jpg
    217.jpg
    702.2 KB · Views: 131
  • Ford Truck 181.jpg
    Ford Truck 181.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 120
  • Ford Truck 122.jpg
    Ford Truck 122.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 116
   / Round two with tractor purchase #19  
We own 8 tractors not counting three SCUTs. Four tractors without loaders and no fluid in the tires, only used on flat ground bush hogging. One has a FEL, cas centers and fluid, two with FEL and fluid only and one with FEL, fluid and weights. I sure can't say you don't need fluid, you can always add it if you ind you need.

Soil condition also comes into play as our ground has a lot of clay and I've used a Case 80HP with an 8' finish mower to mow my yard and our M8540HDS with a 10' rotary cutter. You might do OK with a 3560, I really like the size, but with a cab, I'd go with a 4060.

Many of our tractors are older machines, but my brother is a mechanic and we only bought well used ones and repaired them.

Good luck.

Attachments

• DSCN0566.jpg
    DSCN0566.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 159
   / Round two with tractor purchase #20  
Keep what you have add a front snow plow,brush hog and buy a JD X700 series or Zero turn for mowing the yard.This combo has served me well so far.

Did you the part about him selling his L6060? Now he’s looking for something new.