All 120V's
2 tables saws
Jigsaw
Planer
Compound Miter Saw
Grinder
Oscillating tool
Sawzall [semi-wood working tool -:)

I have always wanted but never owned a router. However, a dear friend died and he wanted me to have a variety of different tools, one being a Rigid 18V compact router. I have viewed multiple YouTube videos on this specific tool, and one thing it really lacks is a good bit or set of bits. They also recommend buying 3-7 bits that you will use rather than a set of 20 bits. These sets are usually lower quality too, like from the big box stores.

Question:

Can anyone pls recommend a good set of router bits for the most common types of router cuts? Any advice from guys that use routers all the time, I would really appreciate what you recommend for someone that has never used a router, and what they would need for most of the basic cuts. However, I am more than willing to take advice and learn.

Finally, if there's a woodworking-site that demo's this type tool w great depth and it's bits, that would be greatly appreciated too.

Many thanks,
tstex

/ router bit recommendations #2  
Yes most of the big box bits are junk, unless you find good brand names. Your best bet is to look to woodworking stores for bits. Rockler, Woodcraft, etc all have good quality stuff. Grizzly can be decent too in general, though I haven't used much of their router bits. Bosch, Amana, Eagle America, Whiteside... There are lots of good names out there. Eagle America has been my main go to source for years, Very good quality, decent prices, and much of it is made in America.

As for what types of bit to get, that is the age old question and is always met with "what do you want to do with them?"
  • Straight bits are a mainstay, so you can't go wrong getting a few sizes of those.
  • Edge trimming is also common along with pattern routing and those are both typically straight bits with a bearing on the shaft to follow the pattern or the edge of the base when trimming laminate, for example. They can have the bearing on top or bottom depending on need
  • Edge forming bits are common. Roundovers are useful to buy in a set. A chamfer bit can be handy. Lots of specialty edge forming bits available like ogees, drop leaf table sets, etc
  • Large bits are only for use in router tables or shapers and not for use with hand held routers, so those are out for your use at this point. They also take higher HP routers that can run at lower speeds.
  • Shaft size is another issue to look at. typically 1/2" and 1/4" are the standards here. 1/2" are much sturdier but sometimes for very small bits 1/4" shaft is better to allow you to get closer without a large shaft getting in the way. And smaller trim routers are typically only 1/4" anyways.
  • Carbide only, don't' bother with HSS on router bits
  • If you do a lot of woodworking, one router will quickly become a sad joke as you will want to leave bits set up for jigs and fixtures so you can grab it and get going without a ton of setup. I have somewhere around 8-10 now and one friend has 20-something of them. Many are setup for a dovetail jig or hinge template or whatever.
  • To start, if you get a set of a few straight and roundovers, that will cover a lot of needs. Then get more as needed for projects
Hope this helps.
Dave

/ router bit recommendations
Dave, this is awesome !! Thanks a million.

I'm off to a late meeting, but will research what you have provided and get back to you.

Thanks again, really appreciate it.

Last edited:
   / router bit recommendations #4  
Dave probably hit it right on the head. I also have 4 different sized routers, each set up for a different task, plus I have a small router table.... which really changes up things...

Watch as many videos as you can. There will be many uses for a router.

/ router bit recommendations #5  
I have this set, works very good, not disappointed with them

There are smaller sets too, about half the price as the other, just a kit of the 'common' ones

/ router bit recommendations #6  
If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, these are actually decent.

/ router bit recommendations #7  
Yes most of the big box bits are junk, unless you find good brand names. Your best bet is to look to woodworking stores for bits. Rockler, Woodcraft, etc all have good quality stuff. Grizzly can be decent too in general, though I haven't used much of their router bits. Bosch, Amana, Eagle America, Whiteside... There are lots of good names out there. Eagle America has been my main go to source for years, Very good quality, decent prices, and much of it is made in America.

As for what types of bit to get, that is the age old question and is always met with "what do you want to do with them?"
  • Straight bits are a mainstay, so you can't go wrong getting a few sizes of those.
  • Edge trimming is also common along with pattern routing and those are both typically straight bits with a bearing on the shaft to follow the pattern or the edge of the base when trimming laminate, for example. They can have the bearing on top or bottom depending on need
  • Edge forming bits are common. Roundovers are useful to buy in a set. A chamfer bit can be handy. Lots of specialty edge forming bits available like ogees, drop leaf table sets, etc
  • Large bits are only for use in router tables or shapers and not for use with hand held routers, so those are out for your use at this point. They also take higher HP routers that can run at lower speeds.
  • Shaft size is another issue to look at. typically 1/2" and 1/4" are the standards here. 1/2" are much sturdier but sometimes for very small bits 1/4" shaft is better to allow you to get closer without a large shaft getting in the way. And smaller trim routers are typically only 1/4" anyways.
  • Carbide only, don't' bother with HSS on router bits
  • If you do a lot of woodworking, one router will quickly become a sad joke as you will want to leave bits set up for jigs and fixtures so you can grab it and get going without a ton of setup. I have somewhere around 8-10 now and one friend has 20-something of them. Many are setup for a dovetail jig or hinge template or whatever.
  • To start, if you get a set of a few straight and roundovers, that will cover a lot of needs. Then get more as needed for projects
Hope this helps.
Dave
This is good advice.

Once you get the router, you need to look at getting a router table. I have an older Bosch router table that is OK. I wouldn't buy it again, but it's done what I needed it to, so I keep using it.

Rockler is one of my favorite wood working stores to shop online.

/ router bit recommendations #8  
I use Whiteside and they are great at holding sharpness. I have some older handmedowns from Pop, but I think theyre nice to look at. Dont know name, so I don't use...

/ router bit recommendations #9  
Hello to all,

Here's the power wood working tools I currently own:

All 120V's
2 tables saws
Jigsaw
Planer
Compound Miter Saw
Grinder
Oscillating tool
Sawzall [semi-wood working tool -:)

I have always wanted but never owned a router. However, a dear friend died and he wanted me to have a variety of different tools, one being a Rigid 18V compact router. I have viewed multiple YouTube videos on this specific tool, and one thing it really lacks is a good bit or set of bits. They also recommend buying 3-7 bits that you will use rather than a set of 20 bits. These sets are usually lower quality too, like from the big box stores.

Question:

Can anyone pls recommend a good set of router bits for the most common types of router cuts? Any advice from guys that use routers all the time, I would really appreciate what you recommend for someone that has never used a router, and what they would need for most of the basic cuts. However, I am more than willing to take advice and learn.

Finally, if there's a woodworking-site that demo's this type tool w great depth and it's bits, that would be greatly appreciated too.

Many thanks,
tstex
That particular router is likely to piss you off eventually being light and underpowered for most tasks, and the 1/4' shank bits are a ***** on most hardwoods. If you want an all round router go full size and stick with 1/2" shank bits

/ router bit recommendations #10  
I pretty much agree with afford said EXCEPT Harbor Freight for anything,especially router bits. At the speed they spin,if the carbide come's off it will penitrate 90% of face shields and clothing. I have 40 year old Craftsman HS steel bits that still serve me well although I do use carbide most of the time now. Ive never owned a cordless router but like post #9 I doupt it has enough power to remove much wood. You can't be timid or feed a bit slow without burning wood. If indeed it isn't powerful enough,I'd suggest keeping a 1/2" round-over in it for corner touch up. I wouldn't suggest going out to buy more than one more router until you get much deeper than you are into woodwork.
Hands down,"Wood Magazine" is the best all-around source available.