router bit recommendations

/ router bit recommendations #31  
The Porter Cable 690 is the classic all purpose go-to router in woodworking. Cheap and very functional. They offer it with various bases including fixed, D-handle and plunge. Each has their benefits/drawbacks and uses. The number might vary depending on the kit so like 691, 692, etc but they are all built around the same 690 motor base. It does help to make sure you get something that has both 1/4" and 1/2" collets to be flexible.

If you get serious about a router table, it pays to get a "3hp" router for those. The quotes are because they call them 3hp but you can't draw 3 hp from any normal 120V outlet, so it is like the shop vacs that claim 1000 hp but in reality are maybe 1/2 hp at best. But the bigger routers are best for table use. You can use a 690 in a table for lighter work, and that can be handy too, but you can't spin big bits with them as you have to be able to reduce the speed or you will exceed the bit speed rating on fixed speed routers. 690's and many in that class are single speed. And router tables can be anything from a hole in a piece of plywood to very elaborate.

And then when you want even more capability, we will start talking about Shapers ;)

/ router bit recommendations
Thanks 3T. I’m thinking of burning anything that smells bad in the garage and roll my wife’s car windows done a bit. I’ll then leave a router catalog on kitchen counter to a 3HP plunge router and see where it leads !

/ router bit recommendations #33  
The Porter Cable 690 is the classic all purpose go-to router in woodworking. Cheap and very functional. They offer it with various bases including fixed, D-handle and plunge. Each has their benefits/drawbacks and uses. The number might vary depending on the kit so like 691, 692, etc but they are all built around the same 690 motor base. It does help to make sure you get something that has both 1/4" and 1/2" collets to be flexible.

If you get serious about a router table, it pays to get a "3hp" router for those. The quotes are because they call them 3hp but you can't draw 3 hp from any normal 120V outlet, so it is like the shop vacs that claim 1000 hp but in reality are maybe 1/2 hp at best. But the bigger routers are best for table use. You can use a 690 in a table for lighter work, and that can be handy too, but you can't spin big bits with them as you have to be able to reduce the speed or you will exceed the bit speed rating on fixed speed routers. 690's and many in that class are single speed. And router tables can be anything from a hole in a piece of plywood to very elaborate.

And then when you want even more capability, we will start talking about Shapers ;)
Sad part is, there are NO MORE Porter Cable routers! The entire line has been discontinued! That's really sad as I have 5 or 6 PC Routers alone!! Black and Wacker owns PC and took them off the market, they were the routers others were judged by!

You are right about the fake hp... It takes 10 amps to make a HP, and in MY experience, I like to see 12 amps on the name plate, per HP. Those big routers draw 15 amps, you do the math!

Like my buddy use to say, look at a toaster, how many hp is yours? lol

SR

/ router bit recommendations #34  
If you are looking at new routers keep in mind the physical size and location of the on/off switch. Ergonomics that suit your hands. This changes when the router is mounted to a table.

The regular inexpensive carbide tipped router bits of today could be considered heaven to some of the steel bits of fifty years ago.

/ router bit recommendations #35  
Sad part is, there are NO MORE Porter Cable routers!
That's why I didn't mention P-C in my list of good routers. Sadly P-C has gone the route of so many legacy brands where they are bought out and then marketed as an inexpensive tool living off of their previous reputation as a quality tool. Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, and Porter-Cable are all examples of this.

/ router bit recommendations
Thanks for the add'l info guys, makes a lot of sense.

I have a really good P-Cable nail gun that I bought over 20 yrs ago...bought a Troy-Bilt Tiller in 1997 and it's a tank...starts on first pull after a year...they just don't make anything like they used to...it's all planned obsolescence...

/ router bit recommendations #37  
While it can be intertaining and pass some time,chewing the fat around foeums is a poor way of chosing tools. People's dedication and brand faitfulnes to obsolete tools doesn't help unless shopping for used or vintage tools. Wood magazine routinly test's current popular brand tools then rate's them. Their tests include best value and other catagories. Remind's me of people praising 12 valve Cummins in conversations about choosing a new truck.

/ router bit recommendations #38  
I'm with sawyer rob . After 45 years of wood working the only router bits I buy is CMT and Freud . The have outlasted every other brand I bought buy light years . CMT being the sharpest quietest chip resistant bit I have found.

I never foud a router table pre made worth the exorbdant price the charge. Build your own . Good practice you will learn alot ,and you can customize it to fit your needs. Norm has a good video on how to build a R.T. Woodpeckers has great router lifts. But many other brands out there.

I have 20 some od routers The only ones I like are my P.C.'s . Your better off looking on C.L. or F.B. for a slightly used 690 like DSTIG 1 pointed out . I have bought routers in emergency to get a job done and never used it again because it felt crap in my hands. If you can wait for a trade show or go to a place where you can try out tools that is the best bet. 🍻

/ router bit recommendations #39  
That's why I didn't mention P-C in my list of good routers. Sadly P-C has gone the route of so many legacy brands where they are bought out and then marketed as an inexpensive tool living off of their previous reputation as a quality tool. Craftsman, Troy-Bilt, and Porter-Cable are all examples of this.
Okay. Another newbie here, without any router (or experience with them). Any other specific models to search for? Another post listed Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee... What about the Mastercraft, at Menards?

/ router bit recommendations #40  
Okay. Another newbie here, without any router (or experience with them). Any other specific models to search for? Another post listed Bosch, Dewalt, Makita, Milwaukee... What about the Mastercraft, at Menards?
My opinion is, I would stick to the other brands on your list.

I'm thinking about buying another router too, and as new PC's are off the table, I'm leaning toward Bosch.

If I was starting out new, I'd buy a "kit" that includes both, the fixed base and the plunge base in the kit, it's cheaper than buying separate and you WILL want both bases later.

SR