rtv 1100 overheating problem

/ rtv 1100 overheating problem #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
not sure but I think me and kubota just dont get along.

so my 1100 has 17hr on it. was riding through my trails this evening and noticed the temp guage going to red. got to the house and it was steaming from under the bed. looked and the overflow bottles top was off and coolant everywhere underneth. so I filled the botlte up and ran it/drove it a little and all seems ok..but something has to be wrong. i checked the screen and all seems good. no ideal...

/ rtv 1100 overheating problem #2  
Seems to me that those little overflow bottles are too small to hold as much coolant as will be burped out during heat expansion. So some is lost due to over flow. Then during cool down what is in the bottle is sucked back in to the system and empties the bottle. I think a larger overflow jug with room to catch all the overflow would be better. In this case it seems to have blown out with great pressure to blow the cap off and all. Maybe a stuck thermostat that opened late. Mine wouldn't build much pressure since the pressure was being relieved through the engine and out the exhaust.

Last edited:
   / rtv 1100 overheating problem #3  
Dang...strange...reminds me to check my fluid...don't do so very often...haven't overheated ever except for plugged radiator with lots of grass debris and seed fluff. hope you get it figured out.

/ rtv 1100 overheating problem #4  
My RTV900 has never overheated and I have used it to pull a heavy drag over my pasture after disking and sowing grass seed. Running it full throttle in M ranges and it never got into the red. You must have a thermostat problem OR the cooling fan is not kicking on when it should.

/ rtv 1100 overheating problem #5  
cooling fan is electric, you can hear it running if it's hot and you have the engine off but key still in first position...are you hearing it??

/ rtv 1100 overheating problem #6  
not sure but I think me and kubota just dont get along.

so my 1100 has 17hr on it. was riding through my trails this evening and noticed the temp guage going to red. got to the house and it was steaming from under the bed. looked and the overflow bottles top was off and coolant everywhere underneth. so I filled the botlte up and ran it/drove it a little and all seems ok..but something has to be wrong. i checked the screen and all seems good. no ideal...

Sounds like a thermostat to me...Call the dealer, let them deal with it.

/ rtv 1100 overheating problem #7  
cooling fan is electric, you can hear it running if it's hot and you have the engine off but key still in first position...are you hearing it??

That's a possibility too..Maybe check the fuses etc.

/ rtv 1100 overheating problem #8  
had my RTV 900 for three years, never had a problem. they are good machs. with 17hrs Id be stright back to the dealer -

/ rtv 1100 overheating problem
The fan does kick on, I'm thinking maybe t-stat too. Talked with my service guy and we will watch it. But last nite I did have some fluffy seeds on screen that I cleaned off, not enough in my opinion to have caused this. But I have fluid marked in bottle and ran it through the woods and down the road a few miles and temps stay at a quarter and just below half.

/ rtv 1100 overheating problem #10  
when radiator is impaired because of trash/dirt, you KNOW it when you look and wash stuff out....a little stuff on the screen doesn't count....glad you looked.