RTV ROPS - beware

/ RTV ROPS - beware #31  
These things have a surprisingly low center of gravity, but sideways on a steep hill will tempt fate at any speed (even zero) -- so that for sure sounds like a very steep hill. I was once going up a steep hill with my RTV-X1120D, a hill I'd climbed many times. Well this was a warm day after we'd had a 2 week cold snap. The soil was frozen hard down to about 8" depth but the top surface had thawed in the sun and was like grease (unknown to me). I got about 3/4 up the hill and then the surface broke loose and I slid all the way back down, backwards, fighting to keep pointed in the right direction and not get sideways. Scary for sure. When I got to the bottom of the hill, there was about 30' of crumpled up turf/peat packed behind the rear tires, that had been scraped off the hill in ribbons, like using a sod cutter. The skids on the hill were shiny with frozen soil and frost. I am pretty sure I came close to a roll that day.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #32  
from what he recalls it rolled once or twice and then threw him out
I'm trying to understand how an unbelted driver can roll several times, staying inside the RTV, and only then come out. Maybe the slow speed or a superhuman "death grip" on the wheel? :D

/ RTV ROPS - beware #33  
I'm trying to understand how an unbelted driver can roll several times, staying inside the RTV, and only then come out. Maybe the slow speed or a superhuman "death grip" on the wheel? :D

One can get caught up in the equipment.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #35  

No doubt the steering wheel now has a few extra finger grip impressions on the rim! First 1-2 rolls were probably slow, before it turned into an RTV-shaped bowling ball going downhill.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #36  
Those fancy TWEELS resist sideways flex, probably caused the slide in the first place.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #37  
Crazy to think:
You may be safer without seat belt and being clear of that ROPS (as long as u don’t land under it)

not something I would depend on

/ RTV ROPS - beware #38  
Those fancy TWEELS resist sideways flex, probably caused the slide in the first place.
That's a thought. OP mentioned a price, but I can't recall if they were added by the dealer or not. But even if they contributed to the accident, the ROPS should still have fared better.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #39  
I hadn't seen these on anything but military vehicles. All I know is - I get really tired of airing up the tires on my Cub Cadet!
The Michelin Tweel has been on the market for at least 10 years, quite common on skid steers, zero turn mowers and such.

/ RTV ROPS - beware #40  
Crazy to think:
You may be safer without seat belt and being clear of that ROPS (as long as u don’t land under it)

not something I would depend on
That is a death sentence - always buckle up with any ROPS equipped vehicle.