Run a welder off a generator?

/ Run a welder off a generator? #1  

ziegler

Tractor
Scat Trak 1300HD; MF 65 gas; 2003 T474
I have an off the grid barn with a 8kw generator and tried to run a Lincoln 220v stick off of it, the breaker did not blow (30amp) but very hard to get an arc started (105 amp with 1/8 6011). I noticed the generator speed up/slowed down a lot? Would a 15kw work better? There is a newer carrier on craigslist with panel for $1900 or should I just rent a generator/welder?

Thanks.

Last edited:
   / Run a welder off a generator? #2  
Without doing the calculations it sounds like the generator or welder are not happy. Depending on you long term plans why not buy a welder generator, I know I am spending your money and not mine.
Craig Clayton

/ Run a welder off a generator? #3  
In the $1900 price range, you should be able to find a gas powered welder that will also serve as a generator.

/ Run a welder off a generator? #4  
I agree, it sounds like you were close to max running the welder on the generator. You could try smaller rod and a lower setting.

I sold my 220V welder and separate 5KW (6250 surge) generator for multiple reasons: Generator too small to run entire house, too small to run welder efficiently out in the field, welder was old and used a lot of power hooked up to house voltage.
I use a Miller Bobcat 250NT welder generator. Its a 10KW generator that will run my whole house plus weld when I need it.

/ Run a welder off a generator? #5  
I have an off the grid barn with a 8kw generator and tried to run a Lincoln 220v stick off of it, the breaker did not blow (30amp) but very hard to get an arc started (105 amp with 1/8 6011). I noticed the generator speed up/slowed down a lot? Would a 15kw work better? There is a newer carrier on craigslist with panel for $1900 or should I just rent a generator/welder?

Thanks.
That is strange. I have welded with my 220A JC Penny buzz box at about that output while powered from a 4kW Coleman genny. ... Marginal, but an 8kW should have power to spare. :confused2:
larry

/ Run a welder off a generator? #6  
it was more likely the draw down when the arc was struck was loading the genny and knocked the power down causing the arc to drop out. kind of common for small rotor generators. if you can parallel a flywheel it should run OK would be my bet.

Mark

/ Run a welder off a generator? #8  
I am running an 8kw with my lincoln. The first time I tried it I had a similar result. It turned out that the extension cord I made to adapt to the welder was not wired correctly. After the cord was properly wired it ran great and still dose 5 years later.

/ Run a welder off a generator? #9  
IT'S BEEN A WHILE SINCE I'VE DONE MUCH WELDING, BUT IT SEEMS TO ME 105 AMPS IS LOW TO RUN 1/8 ROD. I THINK I USED TO RUN IT AROUND 120. MAYBE THATS WHY IT WAS HARD TO START THE ARC.

/ Run a welder off a generator? #10  
An 8kw generator is only going to produce about 17.5 amps per leg. That's probably not enough for your welder to be happy when starting an arc.