rust

/ rust #11  
Sheep.
Fluid Film and Woolwax.
Try to keep a sprayer of it handy almost everywhere. If I scratch something spray it.

/ rust #12  
Look at Black Star. No top coat needed. Very environmentally friendly. Can be brushed, garden sprayer or roller. Been good for me.

• Good Post
Reactions: bgr
   / rust
Thanks for all replies so far.
I'm told Fluid Film is washed away by water pressure, whether it is car wash rinsing salt etc away or puddles...

/ rust #15  
Fluid film here. Works great as an "oxygen prevention" product to stop rust in it's tracks.

I'm always amazed at how people spend hours waxing and washing their vehicles so they look nice and never once look underneath and do something to make it look and stay looking better.

/ rust #16  
Living in the 'rust belt', mine get washed off underneath every chance I get. Put a 45 degree elbow on my pressure washer nozzle just for that task.

/ rust #18  
Avoid moisture/water sitting on the tractor/implements as much as possible (including too frequent washing ) & you'll limit rust. Moisture+Oxygen+Steel=Rust
Minimise the H2O &/or Oxygen contact with the steel &most of the rust problem is solved.
We only throughly clean farm equipment Twice/year with a pressure washer, always then dry with high pressure air &/or lawn blower & depending on the equipment area/paint finish immediately coat with a solution of sprayed wax &/or lanolin. Between these biannual washes the equipment is only ever blown 'clean' with compressed/blown air. IMO washing too frequently & over enthusiastic pressure washing forces:
- moisture into areas of equipment it wouldn't normally or regularly access
- same for washing detergents/cleaning solutions (which also contain high levels of nitrogen/phosphorus, known rust 'enhancers' if they lay in combination with water on poorly finished equipment areas)
The underside of equipment we treat annually with the marine rust inhibitor 'Penetrol' - as it always remains a slow moving fluid keep well clear of all gaskets, seals & bearings as it will degrade them.
This routine preserves our equipment & generally rust free despite regular exposure to fertiliser, sprays/chemicals & the other equipment hazards in a commercial farming operation.

/ rust #19  
Never, never pressure wash any hay equipment, especially round balers.. Pressure washing is death on the bearings. I blow mine off with compressed are or a leaf blower, grease them and call them good. I do wash my tractors quite often however but I use Chemical Guys foaming car wash and a foam cannon.

/ rust #20  
Fluid Film if I'm not going to paint it.
Black Star rust converter if I paint it.

If you don't do anything the rust will not stop.