Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #52  
Sad truck recovery accident out of Arizona. Sad becuase the guy died, but also sad because his 3 kids were sitting in the back seat as a 30 lb. drop hitch came through the window and killed him. Could have been avoided, putting this here to remind us to not make a similar mistake.
He didn’t mention the pulling strength of the receiver.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #53  
Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. It depends on the load applied, the material the straps are made of, and he condition. I've has better luck getting ropes back apart than straps.

A rolled up magazine also works wonders in assuring the strapes are easy to disconnect. I tried to draw a picture of how it should lok when properly inserted, but my artistic skills leave a bit to be desired. When properly inserted, the magazine (or stick of wood or whatever) should end up perpendicular to the rope/strap.
There are some youtube videos showing the rolled up magazine/newspaper trick.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #54  
Do not trust the 5/8" pin that secures the slide in hitch. This is not the first time for this failure.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #55  
drop-insert-break.jpg

Bruce

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #58  
This may have been asked before, but I wonder how strong the trailer hitch assembly is on the truck itself? If it is just bolts-on, wouldn’t it possibly fail?

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #59  
This may have been asked before, but I wonder how strong the trailer hitch assembly is on the truck itself? If it is just bolts-on, wouldn’t it possibly fail?
Sure. If the whole assembly is rated at, say, 8000# and someone puts 18,000# of jerk force on it, there's a chance the bolts will fail.

Our 93 G20 had a bolt-on hitch. I put it on myself. The bolts fit in factory holes in the frame. There were three bolts on each side. It was rated at 8000#. I often wondered about that.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #60  
It is easy to understand the failure in this case. The amount of leverage a sudden shock would have on that hollow hitch insert would be tremendous. My suspicion is that we wouldn't be talking about this if the strap had been slid up to the dop of the drop hitch. It was the leverage that allowed the drop hitch to literally tear the square tube in half.