Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #41  
5CB2F50A-8082-497F-8E40-AE97C5A41D42.jpeg
I have had more things stuck that I care to talk about and broke more things Trying to get get them out than I care to talk about always have to step back and look at things and try to make the best decisions always safety first!

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #42  
Great artical, I just shared it with a jeep group and also an ATV group I belong too. Thanks for sharing this very valuable information.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #43  
The pins are designed for very high shear strength, but you are using it for bending strength and it will fail.
To bend a pin supported at both ends inside a 2 - 2 1/2” square tube all the load would need to be concentrated at the midpoint of the pin. Not likely happening with a strap. A cable, chain, or rope ... possibly.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #44  
I watched an SUV roll off a highway in front of us, once at speed. It rolled two times. It ended up upside down. We rushed to give assistance, and the entire interior of that SUV was a mess. It was a Dad and two children with all their mountain bikes, and camping gear. Every thing had come apart, and the interior was splashed with the soda drinks they had, had in paper cups. The gas tank was ruptured and leaking in the upside down vehicle. So get people out was a priority. As one of the first to the scene, I found a boy in the back that had a mountain bike under him. He was being held up side down by the straps. Took the bike out and threw it away. Asked him "Are you hurt and can you move everything in your body; neck, arms, legs." He tested this, and said, "Yes, I feel okay." I released the belt holding him up to fall in to my hands and then pulled him out. Same time other people were pulling others out of the vehicle, cause everyone stopped, off the road, to give assistance at the same time with no hesitation. This was a remote area in Oregon. It took three hours to get an EMT there. The Dad was very confused. We had to get him to lay down so we could check him out for a head injury and talk him down. The other older boy, seemed to be entirely okay in the passenger seat. He was a pain in the ass to everyone else, as he was saying its all okay, and we helper people should just leave. My boy, rescued, had a big knock to the head, possibly by the mountain bikes. The RV people also stopped, and provided ICE packs to put on his head bump that was forming. When the EMTs finally arrived they said this was good what we had done.
Your a good person. Keep it up. The country needs more people like you.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #45  
Pull the hitch / shank out of the vehicle, push the strap loop inside the receiver tube and use the hitch retainer pin through the strap loop.

Never hook a strap over the ball as a rule
But won't you bend the pin?

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #46  
I don't recommend doing that when you're going to put a real load on it, they tie a nice tight square knot that usually takes a knife to get loose. If you bundle a jacket or chunk of wood inbetween the loops you keep them from binding...most of the time
Sorry, but you are wrong. This method is easily separated. Try it using a couple pieces of string with a loop tied in the ends.

First time you may have to reference the pic to get it right. If it's hard to separate, you didn't. :)

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #47  
Sorry, but you are wrong. This method is easily separated. Try it using a couple pieces of string with a loop tied in the ends.

First time you may have to reference the pic to get it right. If it's hard to separate, you didn't. :)
Your right, I've never done it before what could I know.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #48  
As a farmer I had to pull out stuck vehicles often. My dad had a 20 ft long 1/2 inch logging chain, no danger breaking that with a 75 HP tractor. I remember when stretch ropes became popular. A farming magazine showed what could happen if a stretch rope was used with a short chain. It was a photo of a cab tractor with the back glass broken out with the rope and broken chain inside the cab. I was a fatal accident.

That chain was heavy but we never got a stretch rope.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #49  
Here's a pic of connecting two looped ropes/straps without iron.

View attachment 785174

Mind boggling simple and easy. Push the loops apart. Nothing to it. I've used this method dozens of times. I always have to think about it for a couple seconds to get them intertwined properly. And I always smile and chuckle when I take them apart. :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. It depends on the load applied, the material the straps are made of, and he condition. I've has better luck getting ropes back apart than straps.

I don't recommend doing that when you're going to put a real load on it, they tie a nice tight square knot that usually takes a knife to get loose. If you bundle a jacket or chunk of wood inbetween the loops you keep them from binding...most of the time
A rolled up magazine also works wonders in assuring the strapes are easy to disconnect. I tried to draw a picture of how it should lok when properly inserted, but my artistic skills leave a bit to be desired. When properly inserted, the magazine (or stick of wood or whatever) should end up perpendicular to the rope/strap.

/ Sad and Tragic Recovery Accident in AZ. #50  
Unfortunately, it doesn't always work that way. It depends on the load applied, the material the straps are made of, and he condition. I've has better luck getting ropes back apart than straps.
Especially if they're wet.