Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage?

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #21  
Not sure how the "50%' injuries above the waist are happening.
Most injuries above the waist are to the left hand. I don't have the exact data, but I suspect there are two main sources: injuries to the thumb/hand/wrist from kickback (usually a sprain or dislocation, rather than a cut) and injuries from improper reaching for the chain brake, allowing the hand to come in contact with the chain. (for the later, the recommendation is to activate the brake by bumping it with the wrist while still holing the handle, and release by keeping the left thumb hooked around the handle and reach forward with the fingers to pull the brake handle back.) If you just figure out the left hand, that accounts for over 75% of the upper body injuries.

View attachment 722346

On my "one day I'm going to" list is to buy a pair of safety-toe boots. Not only have I managed to smash toes, but recently I scratched the top of one of my boots with my saw (it was like it was saying to me: "hey! did you forget that you were going to buy safety-toe boots?").

Remember there is more to protecting your foot than just getting a steel toed boot. A steel to alone can often just cause the chain to "skate" along the top of the steel until it drops down behind the steel toe, dicing up your metatarsal bones (the ones behind your toes). If you are going for foot protection, go for true chainsaw cut protection, and one comfortable enough that you will actually wear it.

I've had good luck with my Haix XR200 chainsaw boots. They are very comfortable - as good as the best pair of hiking boots I've ever owned. When these do finally wear out, I'll probably switch to the Haix Protector Ultra boots - a higher class of cut protection, a tread pattern that gives a bit better traction, and about 1" taller.

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #22  
Most injuries above the waist are to the left hand. I don't have the exact data, but I suspect there are two main sources: injuries to the thumb/hand/wrist from kickback (usually a sprain or dislocation, rather than a cut) and injuries from improper reaching for the chain brake, allowing the hand to come in contact with the chain. (for the later, the recommendation is to activate the brake by bumping it with the wrist while still holing the handle, and release by keeping the left thumb hooked around the handle and reach forward with the fingers to pull the brake handle back.) If you just figure out the left hand, that accounts for over 75% of the upper body injuries.

View attachment 722346

Remember there is more to protecting your foot than just getting a steel toed boot. A steel to alone can often just cause the chain to "skate" along the top of the steel until it drops down behind the steel toe, dicing up your metatarsal bones (the ones behind your toes). If you are going for foot protection, go for true chainsaw cut protection, and one comfortable enough that you will actually wear it.

I've had good luck with my Haix XR200 chainsaw boots. They are very comfortable - as good as the best pair of hiking boots I've ever owned. When these do finally wear out, I'll probably switch to the Haix Protector Ultra boots - a higher class of cut protection, a tread pattern that gives a bit better traction, and about 1" taller.
Everything there is 15% off right now. I just ordered a pair of their Protector Ultras... a couple of people I work with have them and speak highly.
I ordered mine last week when only certain items were marked down. Had I known they were going to have a storewide sale I would have waited a few days.

I can't wear the tall "logger" type heels; I will have shin splints in no time.

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #23  
Thanks for the info on the boots! And with the discount there's little reason to not buy a pair! Seems like a big win if one is "going green!" ($85 cheaper than the red-colored ones- when I go out to cut wood I'm not thinking about whether the color of my clothing matches :LOL: and if one wears red how will one be able to see blood?)

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #24  
Thanks for the info on the boots! And with the discount there's little reason to not buy a pair! Seems like a big win if one is "going green!" ($85 cheaper than the red-colored ones- when I go out to cut wood I'm not thinking about whether the color of my clothing matches :LOL: and if one wears red how will one be able to see blood?)
Last week the red ones were on sale, so that's what I have coming. At least they will match my snowsled... :D

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #25  
The green Haix Protector Ultra boots are on a temporary "door buster" sale. Regularly $365, sale price is $279. The sale only lasts a few hours. I'd prefer the red ones, but if my XR200 boots were ready for replacement, I'd be jumping on that deal.

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #26  
I believe that everything is 15% off right now. That still makes the green boots a better deal... also the same price I just paid for my red ones last week.

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #27  
Last week the red ones were on sale, so that's what I have coming. At least they will match my snowsled... :D
Just ordered the greens (I get stuff all mucked up, in which case it won't be long before one couldn't tell what color my boots were!). Maybe we can get together and do some Xmas caroling- Red and Green (or maybe the Red Green Show?) :LOL: Green will go better with my scenery:D Anyway...

Many thanks to all for the nudge.

Now I need to get a new pair of chaps... (which was the subject of this thread! hey, look! squirrel!)

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #28  
Since we're chasin' squirrels..................

Safety glasses were always a last-second thought and figured better equipment was probably too expensive for a part-timer. When I started clearing a home site, I chased this down. The price wasn't bad at all and it beats the heck out of glasses when you are sweating. The ear muffs hold the hat in place and face shield works very well. I won't go back to just glasses ever.
1637965912911.png

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #29  
^^^^
I wear one of those. Plus, if running saw all day I wear ear inserts... otherwise I will still hear the saw running all night. My hearing is bad enough, I am trying to preserve it.

/ Safety chaps testing - Saw Damage? #30  
I bought the hard hat/shield/muff combo after cutting a big dead red elm and as it fell, Spears were raining down from the tree top and were sticking in the ground all around me. It was a RUN situation like many before.