Satoh S-370D

/ Satoh S-370D #1  

wittkopj

Tractor
Satoh S370D Beaver
Considering buying a 4’ brush hog style rotary mower for our satoh beaver. The mower is rated at 15hp minimum which is the max hp of the tractor. I know technically it would work, but does anyone have any personal experience with this situation and how the tractor handled the mower? I have the same question regarding a tiller of the same size. Thanks!

/ Satoh S-370D #2  
I ran a 4ft Bush Hog squealer on my Beaver for years. I changed the 3pt to Cat 1 from Cat 0. I used some aftermarket arms from Tractor Supply that were for a Ford 8N. I had to heat and bend the arms about half way to clear the tires and still attach to the Bush Hog.

I also had to have front weights on to when it was raised for transport. When mowing I had to keep an eye on the height and make small adjustments from time to time. The Beaver does not have position control.

Also had to keep an eye on the temperature and keep the radiator clean.

It mowed really good and I did a lot with that setup. In thick tall grass I would have to be in low 1st and take smaller bites. Sometimes I would have to raise the mower up to clear it’s throat.

The other thing is the mower will push the tractor when you try to stop because the PTO will drive the transmission. A overrun clutch on the PTO would have fixed that but I ran a lot of 8Ns that does the same thing. So I am use to that and always planed my stops and the way I approached mowing a field to minimize stopping.

So it can be done. Be careful and enjoy!

Last edited:
   / Satoh S-370D #3  
Ah, I was hoping for a discussion on how to mow down beavers, as they have been something of a pain around here.

/ Satoh S-370D
Ah, I was hoping for a discussion on how to mow down beavers, as they have been something of a pain around here.
Yeah, the title is somewhat misleading.

/ Satoh S-370D
I ran a 4ft Bush Hog squealer on my Beaver for years. I changed the 3pt to Cat 1 from Cat 0. I used some aftermarket arms from Tractor Supply that were for a Ford 8N. I had to heat and bend the arms about half way to clear the tires and still attach to the Bush Hog.

I also had to have front weights on to when it was raised for transport. When mowing I had to keep an eye on the height and make small adjustments from time to time. The Beaver does not have position control.

Also had to keep an eye on the temperature and keep the radiator clean.

It mowed really good and I did a lot with that setup. In thick tall grass I would have to be in low 1st and take smaller bites. Sometimes I would have to raise the mower up to clear it’s throat.

The other thing is the mower will push the tractor when you try to stop because the PTO will drive the transmission. A overrun clutch on the PTO would have fixed that but I ran a lot of 8Ns that does the same thing. So I am use to that and always planed my stops and the way I approached mowing a field to minimize stopping.

So it can be done. Be careful and enjoy!
Any recommendations on front weights?

/ Satoh S-370D #6  
Man I don’t. I bought the tractor from a guy that was dealing in used farm stuff and they were laying against his building. I put one on the front and it seemed to fit ok so I asked him to throw them in the deal. If you get to ruff with it they would jump off but I learned to keep that to a minimum. They are like 25lb each if I remember correctly. I would have to look. If I get a chance this weekend I will try to get a picture.