Saving Money as Prices Increase

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #281  
Never heard of pressure canning...

Grandma would pour alcohol on top of her preserves, light it and screw the lid on at the Right time.

Hospital Autoclaves can be free or close to it...

Had several perfect older models sent out as scrap because they lack computer telemetry documentation with only basic disk recording...

How would a hospital autoclave be used.

Years ago legend has it the hospitals Autoclaves we're used for a fund raiser spaghetti feed... way before my time.
Had to Google autoclave, never heard of it before. What's it used for in a hospital? Sterilizing surgical implements?
For food preservation, would you use it like a pressure canner, with the food already in jars or would you use it to process food, then package it a different way?

Surprised you'd never heard of pressure canning. I'd always thought it was a fairly well known method of preserving.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #282  
Apparently, cancelling new car orders isn't a big deal as some with orders pending and pushed back found other options at no penalty?

Going back to gas lines and rationing would change dynamics drastically but seems public is resigned to higher prices as long as product is available?
Given the backlog of orders for new vehicles, seems like for every customer who cancels an order there'll be 10 ready to snarf it up.

Hopefully, it doesn't come to gas lines. More likely everyone will crab about the prices, some will ditch perfectly good vehicles for econoboxes that they'll get rid of once prices come back down.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #283  
Autoclaves are the backbone of modern hospitals and couldn't function without as bulk of sterile processing done by steam...

For steam sensitive items we have gas chamber sterilization and chemical immersion...

Steam Chamber is either gravity or pre-vac where the cycle draws a vacuum...

Hospitals have steam boilers with piped steam lines, steam traps and return lines.

Clinics may use self contained Autoclaves with electric steam boiler... takes a lot of power but effective.

One of my piped steam installs...

Attachments

• 16467525790028859196017701709197.jpg
    16467525790028859196017701709197.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
   / Saving Money as Prices Increase #284  
Hopefully, it doesn't come to gas lines.
I don't believe it will. The powers to be will jack the price up so high that driving will become only for necessity. I've already been conserving with my 40+mpg buggy.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #285  
On canning, we do both pressure and water (boiling) bath and we don't can meat at all, We layer it in lard in the root cellar. Same with carrots but instead of lard, we use sand. taters are hung in mesh sacks from the joists. So are onions. I only grow and store reds. Whites and yellows won't keep over the winter/

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #286  
Same with carrots but instead of lard, we use sand. taters are hung in mesh sacks from the joists. So are onions. I only grow and store reds. Whites and yellows won't keep over the winter/
I do the same with carrots. I store potatoes in 5 gal buckets with lids. Reds, whites, russets...all store well for me.
Can't get onions to grow for the life of me. All foliage, no bulb.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #287  
I do the same with carrots. I store potatoes in 5 gal buckets with lids. Reds, whites, russets...all store well for me.
Can't get onions to grow for the life of me. All foliage, no bulb.
Buy onion sets and plant them about 5" apart and when the tuber foliage gets up a couple inches, snip the tops off and don't ever hill them, just let them grow above the soil if the want to.

I hang my spuds in mesh laundry bags to let the air circulate around them and I keep it dark in the root cellar unless I'm in the to get something. Spuds have to be stored in the dark, or they will sprout and turn green. In the spring any left over ones that are sprouting, I'll cut them and let them calouse over and replant them and get more spuds.

Just got my Jung seed catalog. We have had excellent luck with Jung over the years so we stick with them. This year especially will require a large garden. Food prices are stupid high,

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #288  
Never heard of pressure canning...

Grandma would pour alcohol on top of her preserves, light it and screw the lid on at the Right time.

Hospital Autoclaves can be free or close to it...

Had several perfect older models sent out as scrap because they lack computer telemetry documentation with only basic disk recording...

How would a hospital autoclave be used.

Years ago legend has it the hospitals Autoclaves we're used for a fund raiser spaghetti feed... way before my time.
To pressure can a quart of meat, processing time is 1.5 hours at 10 PSI steam. You use an autoclave because you can load 20 or 30 quart jars into a large one. It speeds things up. Even so, my friend had to do several runs of half pints to can an 80 lb. tuna, and his autoclave was huge. A dinky Dr.'s office autoclave would be worthless. That's why a freezer is so convenient. You can wrap meat and freeze it, done. To can meat, you have to cut it into pieces small enough to fit into the jar, then process it.

If you are going to get into pressure canning, buy the biggest you can afford. Your weekly schedule will thank you. Being able to run 28 pints at a pop really speeds things up.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #289  
Thank you for the explanation...

Rehabbing older homes I would inevitably find mason or ball jars and sometimes dozens of them but rarely anymore as the old timers pass away.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #290  
Thank you for the explanation...

Rehabbing older homes I would inevitably find mason or ball jars and sometimes dozens of them but rarely anymore as the old timers pass away.
My wife is still using old blue Ball jars, We empty the contents, wash them and store them until needed again. Only thing we do is check the sealing area around the top. If it feels smooth and unbroken they are good to reuse.

I have to get my fermenting crocks out of the root cellar in a couple months and get them ready to make kraut. Won't grown my own cabbage anymore. I can get all I want in green and red from one of the truck farmers I know down the road. I trade a hamper for a couple jars of pickled beets. A hamper of cabbage is close to 75 pounds. Get my melons from him too.

I see Harsch went out of business or at least I cannot find them on the net anymore. I have 3 of their crocks with their 'gutter] around the edges. That way you fill it with water and it lest the fermenting gas escape but lets no air in so no Kalm produced on the top of the fermenting Kraut. Best fermenting crocks ever made.