Saving Money as Prices Increase

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #292  
with HB meat @ 6.00 (todays price) I'll have two steers to be processed in a few months.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #293  
I buy chicken in bulk. Two forty pound boxes - $2.69/pound. I have to cut it up - bag it - put in the freezer. I get skinless - boneless chickens.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #294  
In these times, I look to the local Amish and Mennonite community for food. They dont rely much on diesel. The food is grown just a few miles away, so there isnt much transportation cost. Its not typically frozen, either. Their food is usually not grown with chemical fertilizers, so high fertilizer prices are not much of an issue in their pricing structure. The dont take advantage of people, either.

Look around and see if you have a local produce farmer. Most are being regulated out of existence, but there are still some out there.

Last edited:
   / Saving Money as Prices Increase #295  
Buy onion sets and plant them about 5" apart and when the tuber foliage gets up a couple inches, snip the tops off and don't ever hill them, just let them grow above the soil if the want to.

I hang my spuds in mesh laundry bags to let the air circulate around them and I keep it dark in the root cellar unless I'm in the to get something. Spuds have to be stored in the dark, or they will sprout and turn green. In the spring any left over ones that are sprouting, I'll cut them and let them calouse over and replant them and get more spuds.

Just got my Jung seed catalog. We have had excellent luck with Jung over the years so we stick with them. This year especially will require a large garden. Food prices are stupid high,
I'll have to give that a try with the onions. I do the same as you with any leftover potatoes, haven't bought seed potatoes in years.

Yeah, shop early for seeds. Gotta feeling it's gonna be like 2020 all over again with everything sold out by planting time.

Glad I stocked up on canning jar lids last year...
If you are going to get into pressure canning, buy the biggest you can afford. Your weekly schedule will thank you. Being able to run 28 pints at a pop really speeds things up.
Depends on how much you can. It's just me and the wife, I doubt we put of 28 pints of any one thing in a season, and that's spread out over a couple months.
Rehabbing older homes I would inevitably find mason or ball jars and sometimes dozens of them but rarely anymore as the old timers pass away.
Seems to be a renewed interest in it these days.
That having been said, even growing up in the 60s, I don't recall a lot of people into canning. My parents did, but few if any of my friends' parents even had gardens.
I buy chicken in bulk. Two forty pound boxes - $2.69/pound. I have to cut it up - bag it - put in the freezer. I get skinless - boneless chickens.
Doesn't seem like much of a bargain given the size of the boxes. Up until the last year or so, you could get boneless thighs/breasts for that at the supermarket.
How are they packaged? You'd think in those quantities freezer burn would be a problem unless you eat a LOT of chicken.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #296  
There are two "colonies" of Hutterites about 55 miles NW of me here. They are into LARGE acreage wheat farming. They grow their own food but not for sale to public.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #297  
I've been more careful about planning town trips. I was never big on a 30 mile round trip for a loaf of bread, but now I work hard to make each trip multi-purpose. Yesterday I dropped off used motor oil for recycling, hit the co-op for feed, picked up some cash at the bank, prescriptions at the pharmacy, and did some grocery shopping. Then I paid $70 to fill the tank with gas. I screwed up big time, because here comes spring, and I need tractor diesel.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #298  
Gold already up $200/oz since 2022.
I bet it hits $3,000/oz this year and over $5,000 once the riots begin

2020 riots will look like a Macys New Years day parade compared to whats coming….

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #299  
If you want to cure your own hams, this is some reading matter from one of the old Joy Of Cooking books. This is from the 1964 edition. You may have to download the scans to read them.

img20220315_18423648.jpgimg20220315_18434675.jpg

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #300  
Chicken prices must be a very local item. I've been buying frozen, skinless, boneless breasts for $1.99 or LESS per pound in Alexandria , Va. since we got back to Va. last July. Wegmans is my local store and always seems to have them and I buy about one family pack every 10 days.