Saving Money as Prices Increase

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #261  
Thanks. I decided the price hikes are here to stay, so I live now, or never. Full concrete floor, 40x20 pad out front... oh the projects I will build!
I'm starting to think the same way. Every year I get a $200 gift card from my employer for Christmas and I usually spend a bit under half on ammo. Last year I couldn't, as they weren't offering it. Yet Cabela's recently started selling mail order ammo again. I dropped $110, for what used to cost me around $80.
Two things I haven't been able to find is 30-30 and .410 game loads. I'm down to a box and a half of the rifle shells, and bought a .410/45 TC Contender last year so barely have any shotshells for that.(I do have a 50 round box of 45 shells.) I never thought to ask the seller if he had any ammo to go with the gun... but at his house on a Saturday night I doubt he would have admitted to a stranger even if he did.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #262  
Needing to loose some weight i cut my food intake approx. by 1/2 a little amount over time . Weight is down about 30 lbs. over a 10 month period . If i learned a damm thing in math class that seems to have cut my grocery down by about 50 % . I've even learned to make Texas Caviar to stay healthy . Don't be concerned about an old man's health because the wife knows more about nutrition than most doctors .

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #264  
I'm starting to think the same way. Every year I get a $200 gift card from my employer for Christmas and I usually spend a bit under half on ammo. Last year I couldn't, as they weren't offering it. Yet Cabela's recently started selling mail order ammo again. I dropped $110, for what used to cost me around $80.
Two things I haven't been able to find is 30-30 and .410 game loads. I'm down to a box and a half of the rifle shells, and bought a .410/45 TC Contender last year so barely have any shotshells for that.(I do have a 50 round box of 45 shells.) I never thought to ask the seller if he had any ammo to go with the gun... but at his house on a Saturday night I doubt he would have admitted to a stranger even if he did.
Yeah, I bought about 10k rounds back in 2016... for about 1/3 of today’s prices. Gas jumped again... to $3.60/gallon. Interest rates rising. We are entering a new normal as they say. It seems we are going to be hit from all sides. I may only live 10 more years, so it’s time to stop waiting to live. We wanted the barn, we have the cash in hand for it, and it’s probably a better investment, than our investments, in this market.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #265  
Yeah, I bought about 10k rounds back in 2016... for about 1/3 of today’s prices. Gas jumped again... to $3.60/gallon. Interest rates rising. We are entering a new normal as they say. It seems we are going to be hit from all sides. I may only live 10 more years, so it’s time to stop waiting to live. We wanted the barn, we have the cash in hand for it, and it’s probably a better investment, than our investments, in this market.
You will certainly get more use from the barn, than from a few extra dollars in your bank account.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #266  
we are about the same as you... but we are looking at starting to car pooling as we only work about 2 miles from each other but our shifts are 30 mins off in afternoon. We have been putting stuff away since C19 started, have 2 large upright freezers full of hog and deer, as well as chicken... also have about 40 chickens so always have eggs.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #267  
We have been putting stuff away since C19 started, have 2 large upright freezers full of hog and deer, as well as chicken...
Trouble with depending that much on freezers is you're SOL if there's an extended power outage.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #268  
My dad grew up during the Depression. He spoke of his mom canning meat and how good it tasted. Wondering if anyone is canning their meat and is it difficult?

Instead of freezing the meat.

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #269  
My dad grew up during the Depression. He spoke of his mom canning meat and how good it tasted. Wondering if anyone is canning their meat and is it difficult?

Instead of freezing the meat.
You really should use a pressure canner, rather than hot water bath as the latter doesn’t get hot enough to kill any botulism bacteria which may be present. Having said that, a lot of people have canned it that way over the years. Botulism is a soil born pathogen which thrives in anaerobic soil, and isn’t common here.

Trouble with depending that much on freezers is you're SOL if there's an extended power outage.
That’s why I have two generators, spare gas, and the capability to can it if needed. (One big canner and an 8 quart pressure cooker)

/ Saving Money as Prices Increase #270  
understood.... but notice I didn't discuss my back-up capability, gas stored... living in Florida, I always have several weeks gas on supply as well as others.