sawmill engine

/ sawmill engine #1  

forgeblast

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deer 318
I have an older hudson sawmill, it has an older briggs and stratton engine
model 185432 type 0235a1

Currently it will not turn over. I am going to replace the fuel lines this weekend, as they are looking old. I have a new spark plug for it too.

I have found a few places selling parts for it, but I can not seem to find the service manual for it.
Does anyone know the proper spark plug gap?
If you know that do you know if they ever sold an electric start for it?
Its a shot in the dark but I appreciate any help with it.
I emailed B&S but have not heard back from them.

Thank you in advance!!

/ sawmill engine #2  
I wouldnt waste any time or money on a engine that wont turn over. First find the reason and decide then if its worth the time and expense to fix it.
Without any explanation as to why its just a guess.
water in the cylinder.
cylinder and rings rusted.
clutch froze not allowing the engine to turn freely.

As for a manual try Hudson first. B&S probably has this online as a pdf as well. if not a B&S service center.

Thank you in advance!![/QUOTE]

/ sawmill engine
Thanks rebel!! Ill try Hudson (totally forgot about them), I looked at B&S they only had the parts manual.
When I say it will not turn over, I mean it just won't catch, everything moves freely I really think its a fuel issue and it probably has the original fuel line on there. If the fuel line doesn't make it better then I will try a new carb. They are just a bit pricey for this model.

/ sawmill engine #4  
Check first to see if it has spark, either with a cheap HF spark tester or grounding the plug and observing the spark. If it has set for a while with gas in it, it could have a plugged up main jet, very common malady with the corn gas nowdays. It can be cleaned easily (and carefully) with an OA tip cleaner.
I have a .pdf for the single cylinder Vanguard series repair manual, 12megs so it should be emailable.

/ sawmill engine #5  
You can get real cheap knockoff carbs online unless maybe it's an old model. I did that to a lawn mower that had a mostly plastic Briggs. I had taken it apart before but was tired of messing with it and just replaced it.
My Honda engine on my sawmill decided to disintegrate the cooling fan yesterday.
20201013_173338.jpg

/ sawmill engine #6  
with the price of the carburetor at $173 it might be better to just get a predator(Honda clone) from harborfreight. there WAS some really cheap carb clones for you, but they are all sold out, the engine must be old.. if you can clean the carb, that would be cheapest though.. did you try ether in the carb to see if it runs?.

/ sawmill engine #7  
My guess is, to put electric start on it, you would need to get a flywheel and starter and there has to be a place on the block to bolt the starter in place.

It's NOT an easy swap at all...

SR

/ sawmill engine
Thanks folks let me answer a few questions :)
1. I did try ether didnt want to kick over, that was why I was wondering if my plug gap was wrong....
2. I have to get a spark tester, I forgot the last time I was in town to stop at HF.
3. thanks for the heads up with the swap, Easier is better for me with machinery. My mind just doesn't process how all the parts work together, so when I take things apart, I take pictures constantly so I can put them back together with no left over parts lol.
4. dan ill send you a pm.
5. I did get my fuel line in, that will be this weekends project. Ill drain the fuel just to be sure.
Thanks folks I hope to update soon that I got it running. I have some ash logs I need milled for chair backs.....

/ sawmill engine #10  
My guess is, to put electric start on it, you would need to get a flywheel and starter and there has to be a place on the block to bolt the starter in place.

It's NOT an easy swap at all...

SR
plus a charging coil and regulator.. else the battery will go dead!..