sawmill engine

/ sawmill engine #11  
Viking. I remember all the travelling amusement park rides were powered by those kind of engines. With some crazy Carny operating the throttle.

/ sawmill engine #12  
Thanks folks let me answer a few questions :)
1. I did try ether didnt want to kick over, that was why I was wondering if my plug gap was wrong....
2. I have to get a spark tester, I forgot the last time I was in town to stop at HF.
3. thanks for the heads up with the swap, Easier is better for me with machinery. My mind just doesn't process how all the parts work together, so when I take things apart, I take pictures constantly so I can put them back together with no left over parts lol.
4. dan ill send you a pm.
5. I did get my fuel line in, that will be this weekends project. Ill drain the fuel just to be sure.
Thanks folks I hope to update soon that I got it running. I have some ash logs I need milled for chair backs.....
if it don't kick with ether, then you don't have a spark. it could be a bad coil, but I did notice a mention about a low oil cutoff in the parts list, maybe the oil is low or the cutoff is not working properly if it has one?.

/ sawmill engine #13  
No spark.........R&R points and condenser. Check flywheel/armature gap. Check for shutoff wire grounded. Make sure oil is full.
Has spark, but no compression...............lap the valves.
No fuel flow.........rebuild carb. after ultrasonic cleaning. Just a few points I remember from getting thrown away B&S engines running. Found a 5hp engine in salvage yard. Got it for pennies. Threads of screw that held condenser in place were broken. Added electronic ignition for $34. That was years ago. I think you engine might already have electronic ignition. Good luck.
The dealers that can get parts should be able to order a manual. There are several sites online, but they want money to get onto their site. Check it out online.
hugs, Brandi

/ sawmill engine #14  
Viking. I remember all the travelling amusement park rides were powered by those kind of engines. With some crazy Carny operating the throttle.

These motors were used here primarily to power sawmills , farm water pumps and used in the mining industry. This one we found in a field 40 years ago and rebuilt and put on the mill. The Volkswagen motor was not up to the job but this one was and still is.
Hope that Forgeblast gets it figured out and mills the logs.

/ sawmill engine #16  
I am a little confused. The motor won't "turn over" but you guys are talking spark plugs and carburators. Get it to turn over and it might run!

New Engine? I would go with a Yanmar air cooled Diesel. Noisy as frik though!

/ sawmill engine #17  
I am a little confused. The motor won't "turn over" but you guys are talking spark plugs and carburators. Get it to turn over and it might run!

New Engine? I would go with a Yanmar air cooled Diesel. Noisy as frik though!
Reread post #3. Turn over up there must mean something different than it does here.
hugs, Brandi

/ sawmill engine #18  
I might be mistaken, but I think that engine has a vacuum membrane fuel pump. A little hole in the membrane and the pump is useless.
hugs, Brandi

/ sawmill engine #19  
Correct. When some people say it won’t turn over, they mean it will turn over... either by starter, pull rope or old fashion crank.
Same when some people say it won’t crank, they mean it will crank (turn over), but it won’t start.
Any day now people will be saying it won’t start to mean it will start, but _______?

/ sawmill engine #20  
That would have been a great converstion to have with Hank Kimball.

Reminds me of being in bed, you can't "turn over for some kind of pain", but you aint exactly dead yet either. lol