Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #181  
Anyone have ideas for how they would use a 200 sqft space for a bandsaw mill, storage shed and maybe a solar kiln? Not 200 sqft for all three but each maxed at 200 sqft. IU can build that big without permits. Bonus if the can be movable. I imagine at some point I'd want to move them to a more convenient location.
I've seen where guys will build a small building- like a "carport" at the beginning of the track enough to keep the saw head out of the weather.
If you don't have a security problem 200s/f should be enough for the sawhead and fuel, blades and miscellaneous tools.👍

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures!
7 or 8 foot long doors are gonna be kind of unwieldy though, haven't through that part through yet.
Build the frame from wood, but use metal roofing panels to cover it. Put it on rails, so that it's always supported on the top.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #183  
^ but i picture needing to open the entire backside of the solar kiln up at once, say to load in 12’ milled boards to dry. Don’t want the door rails sticking out beyond the building. Unless…. Bi-fold doors, like an interior closet?

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #184  
^ but i picture needing to open the entire backside of the solar kiln up at once, say to load in 12’ milled boards to dry. Don’t want the door rails sticking out beyond the building. Unless…. Bi-fold doors, like an interior closet?
Could the backside door be a flip up style door? Hinged along the top edge? Maybe use a cable system with some counter balance weights. Just some thoughts. Jon

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #185  
This guy has some big doors and uses some serious;y heavy duty hinges

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #186  
^ bezactly. I guess some standard big a$$ hinges will work fine for long heavy doors that don't get used everyday.

I want to start on one of these buildings soon. I will initially justify it as accelerated firewood seasoning (I am always behind in preparing for the winter(s) ahead!) and maybe also as a hot house for starting the garden veggies sooner in spring time.

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #187  
Managed to cut most of the shed framing from standing dead and finished pouring concrete today, now she'll sit for a few days then start framing.

sm2.jpg

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #188  
Managed to cut most of the shed framing from standing dead and finished pouring concrete today, now she'll sit for a few days then start framing.

View attachment 754983
Hard top tell from the picture but how much room do you have to load or are you not loading from the side?

/ Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #189  
Hard top tell from the picture but how much room do you have to load or are you not loading from the side?
It will have a 14 foot clear opening to load from the side, the sawhead is sitting just off the mid point in the pic and will roll to the far posts.

Last edited:
   / Sawmills, sawmill buildings, drying sheds, and kilns... show your pictures! #190  
It will have a 14 foot clear opening to load from the side, the sawhead is sitting just off the mid point in the pic and will roll to the far posts.
Where does the saw dust go to? My Timbery saw dust goes to opposite side I load logs on. Jon