Scag Liquid Cooled

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #1  

4tillingdirt

Silver Member
Tractor
N/A
I noticed Scag has a liquid cooled Turf Tiger II. Most commercial mowers are not liquid cooled so I was wondering if that is just a waste of money? Is scag really better than other commercial mowers?

/ Scag Liquid Cooled
Yeah it is kind of hard to stomach a 20K mower even it will last for 25 years when not used by a mowing company.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #4  
I have a 2015 Scag Turf Tiger with a 28hp Cat Diesel, it is a mowing machine.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #5  
You couldn't give a Scag away around here. You just don't see them. I just bought a Kubota water cooled diesel. Actually, water cooled is not as rare as you think on commercial mowers.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #6  
Liquid cooled what? Whats the engine?

Scag had some problems 10-15 years ago with some water cooled kawasaki mowers.

But reality.....all the commercial mowers.....toro, scag, exmark, hustler, etc etc etc are MORE similar than they are different. Most of the pretty much use the SAME choices for engines and the SAME options for pump/wheel motors.

Basically just comes down to paint color and ergonomics really.

Even most of the common things that need replaced from time to time are all usually universal. Like safety switches, PTO and key switches, blades, casters, pto clutches, etc.

With proper maintenance and oil changes.....the air cooled engines are good for ~3000hrs. So even a HIGH use homeowner putting 100hrs a year on is gonna get 30 years out of one.

Most rot the decks out because people dont keep the corrosive grass buildup cleaned off of them or scrape the underside of the decks before winter storage.

Personally I wouldnt spend the extra $$$ to add complexity

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #7  
I like the diesel because my tractor is diesel and the only gas I need to store is for my weed eater which is only about 2 gallon a year.
I don't think it is complex at all.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #8  
Me either. And my Kubota doesn't have wheel motors which is something I really like about it. It also has shaft driven deck so there's no long deck belt like the Deere's have. Personally I think they have removed a lot of the complexity from their diesel ZTs.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #9  
I have a Scag Wildcat with a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. The engine has been awesome. I mow around the farm, so it's not commercial, but it could be 100 degrees and I'm out mowing for several hours. I bought it brand new in 2011 for $8,000. The air cooled models where just a grand cheaper, and the dealer told me that it would be good for 3,000 hours, where the air cooled engines where only good for 2,000 hours. I think the diesel was expected to last 4,000 hours, but it was significantly more money.

When it's running, it's an awesome mowing machine. Plenty of power and traction. It's also fairly comfortable. The new seats look smaller to me, so I'm not sure if they are as comfortable. My seat is really nice!!

Because of all the issues I've had with safety switches, I would not buy another Scag. I would not recommend buying Scag. I can't even count how many hours I've spent over the last five or six years trying to get it started, only to waste a day searching for an electrical issue. Fix it, mow for the day, and the next time, do it all over again to find a different issue.

This year I removed all the wiring. I just cut it out and threw it away. Now I just have the basics need to start the engine, charge the battery, turn on the PTO for the blades, and that's about it. So far, it's been working pretty good.

/ Scag Liquid Cooled #10  
I have a Scag Wildcat with a 26hp liquid cooled Kawasaki engine. The engine has been awesome. I mow around the farm, so it's not commercial, but it could be 100 degrees and I'm out mowing for several hours. I bought it brand new in 2011 for $8,000. The air cooled models where just a grand cheaper, and the dealer told me that it would be good for 3,000 hours, where the air cooled engines where only good for 2,000 hours. I think the diesel was expected to last 4,000 hours, but it was significantly more money.

When it's running, it's an awesome mowing machine. Plenty of power and traction. It's also fairly comfortable. The new seats look smaller to me, so I'm not sure if they are as comfortable. My seat is really nice!!

Because of all the issues I've had with safety switches, I would not buy another Scag. I would not recommend buying Scag. I can't even count how many hours I've spent over the last five or six years trying to get it started, only to waste a day searching for an electrical issue. Fix it, mow for the day, and the next time, do it all over again to find a different issue.

This year I removed all the wiring. I just cut it out and threw it away. Now I just have the basics need to start the engine, charge the battery, turn on the PTO for the blades, and that's about it. So far, it's been working pretty good.
It isn't a scag thing.

Most the big players use all the same safety switches. So you'd just be trading names and color....but same issues