Scrub removal question

/ Scrub removal question #1  

AlbertC

Silver Member
Tractor
New holland 3930
DB5F5334-A5F0-4C5D-BFC2-4AD41835C1F4.jpeg

I am trying to clean up my land and I have a lot of trees that have these vines around the bottom of the tree. I think it is called catbrier. I have used roundup and Remedy without a lot of success. It seems to kill it back but then it comes back. I can’t really get it with my rotary cutter because the ground typically has a mound near the tree and also you can’t get real close with the cutter. I have tried my Stihl weedeater but the vines are very tough and the weedeater doesn’t seem to work real well.

Anyone have any suggestions? I thought if there was someway to cut this to the ground that maybe the remedy would work better when new growth appears next spring. Thanks for any suggestions.

Does

/ Scrub removal question #2  
You can get a brushcutter blade for the Stihl if its a reasonably powerful unit. That stuff looks like a blade would chop it up well.

/ Scrub removal question #3  
   / Scrub removal question #4  
In Florida we call your sticker bush Smilax.

I have reasonable success spraying it two or three times with Roundup/Glycophospate with a Suficant added. Without the surficant those shiny leaves defeat the herbicide.

Roundup is almost entirely foliar. I use Roundup because if the weather is dry the tree roots will not be affected.

With 2-4d if you spray the Smilax liberally, then get unexpected rain, the tree roots could be affected.

/ Scrub removal question #5  
I would try a triangular metal blade for the Stihl. Sharpen it before you start, and periodically thereafter. I have had good success with it on other tough weeds. They also make circular saw type blades that may also work.

All the best,

Peter

/ Scrub removal question #6  
Could you pull it out with a toothbar on your loader or Ratchet Rake? Even grab it with a landscape rake, pull it out them mow it to chop it up?

/ Scrub removal question #7  
I have had success with the "ice melting" propane torch that will attach to a BBQ grill sized propane tank. Just remember you are wanting to heat up the plant until the water in the cells turns to steam and bursts the cell wall. My son wants to burn it up with the torch which you can do if you want. I just want it dead. Look for a torch with a long hose and then you can tie the bottle on a hand truck with a bungee and move it into the woods with ease.

I got one from Northern Tool. Shop carefully the prices are all over the place.

/ Scrub removal question #8  
I have a BIG Stihl - FS350. I have two blades for tough growth. A metal tri-lobed blade and a head with three free swinging blades. The OEM blades are nylon. I had the local metal shop make high carbon steel blades to replace the nylon.

The head with the steel blades will easily go thru 2" pine trees. The tri-lobed blade would handle your brush also.

Bigger cutter - better blade.

/ Scrub removal question #9  
I have had success with the "ice melting" propane torch that will attach to a BBQ grill sized propane tank. Just remember you are wanting to heat up the plant until the water in the cells turns to steam and bursts the cell wall. My son wants to burn it up with the torch which you can do if you want. I just want it dead. Look for a torch with a long hose and then you can tie the bottle on a hand truck with a bungee and move it into the woods with ease.

I got one from Northern Tool. Shop carefully the prices are all over the place.
I used that to remove poison hemlock here. I found that it worked best on days when the vegetation was wet, either from rain, or recent rain. The steam cooked and killed it better than anything else. On dry days, it just kind of smoked the plants without killing them.

500,000BTU torch on sale for about $19 ($35) at HarborFreight, with igniter, but cheaper without the igniter.

All the best,

Peter

/ Scrub removal question #10  
View attachment 723366
I am trying to clean up my land and I have a lot of trees that have these vines around the bottom of the tree. I think it is called catbrier. I have used roundup and Remedy without a lot of success. It seems to kill it back but then it comes back. I can’t really get it with my rotary cutter because the ground typically has a mound near the tree and also you can’t get real close with the cutter. I have tried my Stihl weedeater but the vines are very tough and the weedeater doesn’t seem to work real well.

Anyone have any suggestions? I thought if there was someway to cut this to the ground that maybe the remedy would work better when new growth appears next spring. Thanks for any suggestions.

That’s some nasty stuff for those not familiar with it. Think of a ball of thorny rose stems or green barbed wire. Very few leaves sometimes which helps it ambush you.