Sears ST 16

/ Sears ST 16 #1  

mgsolakis

Tractor
Case 446
I am looking at a Sears ST 16 with Onan 16 hp engine. It's an older tractor but seems ok. I was just wondering what peoples opinions are on this tractor. I was also looking at a Case 444 and or 446 but i'm not sure which ones best. Any suggestions or information would be great.

Thanks

Mike

/ Sears ST 16 #2  
What type of terrain are you going to be using it on? How much mowing do you need to do. Are there any parts shops or Service shops near by? What other uses might you need once you figure out the benefits of having a machine? No being familiar with the Case 444 I did a quick Bing search. The Case looks like it has possibilities.
http://www.jimsrepairjimstractors.c...nswers about repowering Case garden tractors:

/ Sears ST 16
My main purpose is to blow snow. I do not really plan to mow lawns with this tractor. I may down the road wish to try to use some other implements. I hear good things about the Onan engine that the Sears has.

/ Sears ST 16 #4  
Mike,
I had a Sears ST many years ago. I think mine was a 12 hp. It was great for mowing but there are better mowers available now. My tractor had a front mount snow plow. I'm sure the plow weighed less than a snowblower. The problem I had is the front wheels don't have bearings. They just had bushings. The bushings couldn't handle the weight of the plow. They'd wear out quickly.

A good walk behind snowblower would be more manuverable.
Pops

/ Sears ST 16
So would the case be better equiped to blow and plow snow despite the smaller motor. The sears has a powerful Onan. Most of the Case tractors i've been able to find nearby are the 220, 155 and 444. They have 10 hp and 14 hp single cyl motors.

/ Sears ST 16 #6  
mgsolakis

So far you have posted questions about an old Ford, a Bolens, a Case, and now an older Sears. Obviously you are looking at large lawn mowers or what is called the garden tractor class of machine.

You might have better responses if you posted down the message board in the threads that are more focused on these garden tractors.

Just a word. An old Ford or Bolens or Case Ingersoll were all fine enough garden tractors. They are getting quite long in the tooth. I assume you are looking in this direction because you are on a budget of a something less than 800 bucks, maybe less? In this range, you are going to find machines with many, many hours of use. I won't say worn out, but just be careful.

Best wishes on your search

/ Sears ST 16 #7  
mgsolakis

So far you have posted questions about an old Ford, a Bolens, a Case, and now an older Sears. Obviously you are looking at large lawn mowers or what is called the garden tractor class of machine.

You might have better responses if you posted down the message board in the threads that are more focused on these garden tractors.

Just a word. An old Ford or Bolens or Case Ingersoll were all fine enough garden tractors. They are getting quite long in the tooth. I assume you are looking in this direction because you are on a budget of a something less than 800 bucks, maybe less? In this range, you are going to find machines with many, many hours of use. I won't say worn out, but just be careful.

Best wishes on your search

Speaking of Ford garden tractors....A friend of mine parked his after 35+ years of service. He kept it as a back up in case his new green one breaks down.

/ Sears ST 16 #8  
My main purpose is to blow snow. I do not really plan to mow lawns with this tractor. I may down the road wish to try to use some other implements. I hear good things about the Onan engine that the Sears has.

I just bought a tractor to do exactly the same thing for my new 700' gravel driveway. Sure, a 74" 3pt blower strapped to the back of my L4200 is the right tool for the job, but at $3000+ for the attachment, I decided to go an alternate route, at least for this year. I found a good-condition mid-80's vintage 16HP Snapper Lawn Tractor w/ 2-stage blower attachment for $400. I have high hopes that it'll do the job adequately.

JayC

/ Sears ST 16 #10  
Actually Sears has quit a few parts for their older tractors. That is always the first place to look.