Secret to hooking up PTO shaft

/ Secret to hooking up PTO shaft #31  
Word of warning.... If it's a bastard going on it will be a ***** coming off.... I would rather deal with the bastard before it latches on to my machine and becomes a *****. :thumbsup:

This is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. And it's so TRUE !! Can I use that line?

/ Secret to hooking up PTO shaft #32  
My tractor has a has a hydraulic PTO clutch and brake. It takes hydraulic pressure to release the brake and engage the clutch. I have an older brush hog that uses a through pin to retain the yoke on the rear PTO shaft... so not only does it have to be lined up with the splines, it also has to be lined up the the through pin. As someone else mentioned in this thread, I shift the PTO selector to Front PTO only. This uncouples the rear PTO shaft from the shaft that has the hydraulic brake and allows me to easily rotate the rear PTO shaft by hand to line things up.

/ Secret to hooking up PTO shaft #33  
This is the funniest thing I've heard in a long time. And it's so TRUE !! Can I use that line?

As long as the language is ok with the moderators.... no prob.

It's from fighting with a post hole auger for several hours that I stupidly 'persuaded' onto the pto shaft. I should have known better.

/ Secret to hooking up PTO shaft #34  
Make a mark with a black or silver sharpie (whichever shows up better) even with a spline groove on the yoke. When attaching use the mark to line up with a spline "tooth" and slip the shaft on.

/ Secret to hooking up PTO shaft #35  
Yo Max4, has it right you should clean the inside of the outside shaft, with a power washer, If there is any crud inside, it will still bind Eric

/ Secret to hooking up PTO shaft #36  
I just searched this topic because I've had problems locking the sleeve. Never had a problem with the lock button on older implements, but the sleeve lock has been driving me nuts. I guess I've been doing it right, but the bungee cord and spray lube on the sleeve mechanism sound like good ideas. (The swear words do too!) Thanks guys.

/ Secret to hooking up PTO shaft #38  
You know, the hardest thing about hooking up the PTO is to get a clear shot at it. All the shrouds and safety accommodations have put the drive stub in deep and close. It's terrible the access on both the compact tractors,

The Fordson on the other hand just has a short "step" over the spud, 'never any troubles getting shaft couples on or off that old gal.

/ Secret to hooking up PTO shaft #39  
Seems like banging your knuckles up helps. ;)

/ Secret to hooking up PTO shaft #40  
Try hooking up a pto winch to a tractor, it's a good way to learn speaking in tongues. I didn't quite get that pto link diagram, guess I'll have to watch a video.