Securing PTO Roller Pump

/ Securing PTO Roller Pump #1  

redka

Silver Member
What is a good way to secure a pto roller pump?
I'm just attaching a piece of swing chain with a bolt to one of the pump holes, bring the chain over the upper link and clip the loose end to the other piece of chain. It works, but got to thinking there may be something better. Thanks.

/ Securing PTO Roller Pump #2  
Here is how I did mine:

Attachments

• DSC04086.JPG
    DSC04086.JPG
    318.9 KB · Views: 3,171
   / Securing PTO Roller Pump #5  
My Delavan pump has 2 bolt holes in the bottom. Made 2 "L" brackets that reach down to the drawbar and stradles it. Works perfectly, no flopping chain. Word of caution, be sure the roller pump is not seized up before putting it on and hitting the pto button. Don't ask how I know that.:eek:

/ Securing PTO Roller Pump
My Delavan pump has 2 bolt holes in the bottom. Made 2 "L" brackets that reach down to the drawbar and stradles it. Works perfectly, no flopping chain. Word of caution, be sure the roller pump is not seized up before putting it on and hitting the pto button. Don't ask how I know that.:eek:

Mine is a Delaval also with the two bolt holes. That's a good idea. Thanks

/ Securing PTO Roller Pump #7  
Like kennyd wrote, around the drawbar. This is the only way I have seen it done. Some pumps have a little angle iron piece bolted to the pump. Chain extends from angle iron and wraps around drawbar, creating a loop in the chain and then chain is bolted to itself. When remove the pump, the loop in the chain slides off the end of the drawbar. Easy off and easy on next time.

In kennyd's picture, I have not seen the chain bolted to the pump, loop around the drawbar and bolted to the other side of the pump. It should work but I wonder if there is a downside.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricu...-pumps/roller-pumps/6-roller-pump-kit-2112023

/ Securing PTO Roller Pump #8  

In kennyd's picture, I have not seen the chain bolted to the pump, loop around the drawbar and bolted to the other side of the pump. It should work but I wonder if there is a downside.

Can't see a downside. The idea is to secure the pump, and kennyd's pic shows it secured quite well.
And also, keeps the chains below the PTO shaft. If above, they could end up being wrapped up in the PTO shaft (have seen that happen). The bar works good too.

/ Securing PTO Roller Pump
Did it this morning. I used the same kind of chain in Kenny's pic, already had a small piece. I didn't have any angle metal, so I just put the bolt/lockwasher/flatwasher through an end link with the link facing away from the tractor, screwed it in the bolt hole, brought the chain under the drawbar and back up to the other bolt hole, and screwed it in(after I had measured and cut the chain). With the two links bolted on, they are horizontal, and the remaining chain hangs vertical from the bolted links. There's just enough slack in the chain so there is no downward torque on the pump shaft, and the pump/chain assembly just slides on/off so there's no removing of any bolts, clips, etc.
Thanks Kenny, and all the others input.

/ Securing PTO Roller Pump #10  

6 Roller Pump Kit - 2112023 | Tractor Supply Company
My chain is bolted to the angle iron, not the pump. Mine came just like the link you posted-but due to the tight space I could not have it (the angle iron) extend off to the side so I cut it down. Works great-no tension on the chain.