Security Camera

/ Security Camera
Yes, assuming the IP camera and the laptop are on a common network.

I am not sure what you mean by this, I would think that the Blue Iris software would be the "common network"? I was going to purchase the Blue Iris and the camera from Foscam as they show a list of cameras for the Blue Iris software. Would that put everything on the correct common network?
sherpa

/ Security Camera #22  
Yes, assuming the IP camera and the laptop are on a common network.

I am not sure what you mean by this, I would think that the Blue Iris software would be the "common network"? I was going to purchase the Blue Iris and the camera from Foscam as they show a list of cameras for the Blue Iris software. Would that put everything on the correct common network?
sherpa

I meant that they have to be on the same wifi (or wired) network. Just referring to your home network.

/ Security Camera #23  
I'm looking for something as well, great info here. Thanks to all. Question: on the ip cameras and your talking about the laptop, doesn't the laptop have to be on all the time? Same with a desktop? will the camera still record with the computer off and you will see it after you turn on the computer?

/ Security Camera #24  
I'm looking for something as well, great info here. Thanks to all. Question: on the ip cameras and your talking about the laptop, doesn't the laptop have to be on all the time? Same with a desktop? will the camera still record with the computer off and you will see it after you turn on the computer?

If you are using PC software like Blue Iris to monitor and control the camera(s) then it's doing the recording and the computer has to be on. It records from the camera's network video stream in real time and will miss whatever happens when it's not running on the computer.

If the camera has its own recording capability (like to an SD card or internal memory) that's independent of the PC software and could be going on at the same time so you could retrieve from the camera what the software missed. But you would have to go directly to the camera to retrieve it, either by retrieving the SD card or logging directly into the camera's user interface over the network, bypassing the PC software.

/ Security Camera #25  
I own two game cams. If you read reviews on any electronic device there will always be some negative reviews about reliability, etc. if I formed my opinions based on Amazon reviews, I would never buy anything. Game cams are just as reliable as any other camera. Some break, some don't.

If it were me, I'd try one first. For around $100, if it doesn't do what you want, you still have a game cam. To get it to trigger and catch whatever is moving, you need to point it strategically, that is, face the camera slightly in the direction of expected movement. Don't place it at 90 degrees to a driveway, for example.

Anyway, I wouldn't write them off so quickly if I were you, based on my experience with them.

/ Security Camera #26  
Game cameras will do if you are ok with having to go to the camera, retrieve the SD card, and put into a computer whenever you want to review the results. This also means the game camera has to be mounted someplace easily accessible and therefore also easily stolen or tampered with. I think remote monitoring, which game cameras can't do, is what most people on this thread are after.

I also own two game cameras and they are great for what they are. But IMO they are not good security cameras.

/ Security Camera #27  
Game cameras will do if you are ok with having to go to the camera, retrieve the SD card, and put into a computer whenever you want to review the results. This also means the game camera has to be mounted someplace easily accessible and therefore also easily stolen or tampered with. I think remote monitoring, which game cameras can't do, is what most people on this thread are after.

I also own two game cameras and they are great for what they are. But IMO they are not good security cameras.

In post #3 the OP stated that he thought a game cam would be best for him. Later he suggested they may not be a reliable device based on reviews. My post is predicated on his postings, not what the others are looking for.

That said, dealing with wireless or wired multi-camera systems and the associated software sounds like a whole lot more trouble to me than retrieving an SD card. If someone steals your $100 camera, that tells you what you need to know right there, worth the $100. At that point, you place one that is inaccessible because accessibility is no longer your biggest problem.

/ Security Camera
Country Geek,
Your expertise here with these security cameras and DIY setup is appreciated.

I already have all the 110 receptacles in place to power the cameras I will need. I also have the older laptop which I can use. I called Foscam yesterday and talk with support. The person I talked with stated that the wireless range on their cameras was only 60 feet. I would need at least 2 cameras with 280 feet of wireless range for one system to work for the house and garage. I could set up two separate systems, one for home and another for the garage but that would mean another laptop and I could not monitor the garage from the house.

I have seen other wireless camera systems advertised with up to 500 feet range, do you have another vender you would recommend?
sherpa

/ Security Camera #29  
I've only ever used Foscam cameras, but I'm sure there are a lot of good choices out there. I'd be skeptical of 500 foot range claims though. Whatever range you get would be reduced by having to go through walls, trees, etc. Reviews on Amazon are usually a good way to check on the claims, if people bought them and did not get the promised range, they will say so there!

One thing, with two systems you can monitor the garage from the house, if you can get to the garage laptop over the network you can use the client interface to Blue Iris to monitor it remotely.

If you find one that works well over long range, let us know!

/ Security Camera #30  
In post #16 in this thread, mark02tj listed info for a wireless outdoor access point that looks like it is capable of creating a wireless network large enough to cover both of your buildings. Ayrstone is another company that sells wireless network components. Either way, once the wireless network is set up, your IP cameras would talk to the old laptop running the BlueIris software using that wireless network.

I've also been thinking about this problem for my place. My gate is 1300' from the house and located over the top of a hill with no line of site between the two. I have power at the house, but only the 12V battery and solar charger that runs the opener at the gate. So I'd be looking for an outdoor wireless access point that I could set up at the house that would be strong enough to reach to the gate. Or maybe I'd need a second wireless access point that can run off the 12V battery, along with an IP camera that could also run off that same 12V battery. Or not worry about the gate at all and just set up a camera at the house to catch motion as a car comes down the driveway.

I have satellite Internet at the house, and a laptop that runs all the time monitoring a Davis weather station. I also run home control software on that machine that could monitor the IP cameras, send alerts, and FTP images/video to a remote server for later review. What I'm really interested in is being able to visually verify an alarm signal when I get a call from ADT about a perimeter or motion alarm being tripped in the house. If I can review images of the driveway and see a vehicle that shouldn't be there (hopefully catching a license plate in the process) and see the interior of certain rooms in the house I'd feel better about letting ADT call the sheriff and avoiding false alarms. Worst case, I'd have some visual record of vehicles/people to help track down who ever vandalized or robbed the place. But what I'm finding is that the inexpensive Foscams drop off the network unexpectedly (at least that's what a lot of reviewers say), and the image quality isn't that good, especially after dark. The latter can be helped with motion triggered spot lights, but only a good camera with solid software can cure the reliability problem. I'm not so much worried about the cost (after all I'm trying to protect tens of thousands of dollars worth of furnishings, tools, and farm implements) but reliability of the system and to some extent ease of use. I haven't found all the pieces yet, but this is a good discussion that I hope might point in the right direction.