Seeding next week for this year.

/ Seeding next week for this year. #1  

cat fever

Elite Member
Tractor
Kioti RX6620PS
Looking forward to seeding my field next week. I put new tires on the drill seeder and I think they are a little taller than the old tires. I did a test run after greasing it up and adjusted the seed depth. Hope I got it right. I will for sure check it once I start seeding. Fertilizer is coming first then I'll smooth it all out and seed.
Here's my stuff waiting to go.

20180207_125602.jpg
20180207_125620.jpg
20180207_125723.jpg
20180207_125921.jpg

/ Seeding next week for this year.
Nice.:thumbsup:

What species are you seeding?

Steve

It's called "Prosper Plus/with Peas"

Not sure of the exact %'s but it's;
Wheat, Oats, Barley and Austrian Peas.

The cows love it. Here is a picture of what it looks like at cutting. Side note, I do have a fair amount of Alfalfa in the field also.

DSCN2932.JPG

/ Seeding next week for this year. #4  
Only thing wrong with those old drills is we didn't invent them!!!! What a perfect piece of equipment.

I'm jealous if your ground is unfrozen??? We've had below average temps for a month now.

Give us some pics when you do this project Lynn. Always enjoy your pics.

Only thing wrong with those old drills is we didn't invent them!!!! What a perfect piece of equipment.

I'm jealous if your ground is unfrozen??? We've had below average temps for a month now.

Give us some pics when you do this project Lynn. Always enjoy your pics.

You can bet on the pictures Richard.

I think what I really like about farming/growing is the equipment and how it works. I love to watch the haybine cutting away. But to me the most impressive thing is the knotters on a baler. The one who invented that process is a pure and simple genius.

We have been very warm here. Below average snow is no good either. Heck I have not been out one time on my sled.:mad:

/ Seeding next week for this year. #6  
It's called "Prosper Plus/with Peas"

Not sure of the exact %'s but it's;
Wheat, Oats, Barley and Austrian Peas.

Am I correct in thinking that farmers in your area grow spring wheat rather than winter wheat?

Steve

Am I correct in thinking that farmers in your area grow spring wheat rather than winter wheat?

Steve

Big growers grow winter wheat. I could have/should have planted last fall. Those that did have plants up 4-6".

Keep in mind though my field is hay for cows not grain in the sense of a regular grain field.

/ Seeding next week for this year. #8  
I know nothing about growing forage crops, so I'm full of questions. I'd like to get some sort of fertilizer/seeder spreader to seed a few acres of what is right now a sandy plain with almost no nutrients that was left when the EPA moved the creek after a flood. Whatever I get, I'll probably pull it with the old JD530.

How deep do most people seed? I've heard, "One seed deep" for grasses.

Peas and wheat/barley are sure different seeds; how does the seeder do with that?

For that matter, I wonder how that field would look the next year if you didn't seed at all and just let it volunteer?

Thanks, rScotty

Trust me I'm no expert either,

My seeder was made for exactly the kind of seeds I'm planting. Some drill seeders have a smaller box in front of the big seed hopper for small seeds like Grass or alfalfa. I wish mine had that but o'well. I only paid 450 bucks for it and it works great. Most seeds are planted very shallow in fact you could broadcast spread a lot of them and be fine.

Don't think of the Peas I'm planting as the kind you eat with a seed pod. It is more like a little vine that grows up the stalks of the Oats, Barley and Wheat. The pea plant puts protein back in the soil.

I use a company called "Bear Valley Co-op" for my fertilizer. They have a big machine that can evenly spread the fertilizer in mere minutes.

If you go to "Great Basin Seed" their web sight can shed light on all kinds of stuff you can plant for the area you live in.

/ Seeding next week for this year. #10  
Lynn's drill was designed to plant wheat, oats, barley, etc. Those seeds are dropped in a slit created by the discs at the fromt of the drill. A wheel of sorts follows that pressing the slit back together over the seed. That wheel carries everything and determines seed planting depth.

If his drill had the second seed box he referred to for small grass type seeds it would drop those seeds basically on top of the ground following the discs and large seed tubes and kust ahead of the packer wheels.

All small seeds should be no deeper than 1.5 times their diameter.