Self driving cars will get their drivers killed

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #151  
Moss...I enjoy your posts and replies but man...you gotta THINK!!! This is where YOU MISS THE POINT (no offense).
Ok...both the school bus AND my car are in self drive mode. At this point...we're talking about MAN MADE *****!!! (emphasis hopefully so you understand). Have you ever heard of anything man makes to fail? A brake master cylinder, throttle sticks, etc.????
In a PERFECT Disneyland ride world you are correct, the world is far from perfect.
So the bus pulls up...right as I approach intersection the bus brakes fail, throttle sticks, etc. Now what?
Look...all I did for 43 years was troubleshoot and repair man made electronic equipment, repair because man made crap fails! Nothing is perfect and I saw it every day 43 years (still see it).
Now...your turn explain to me I'm full of it and how wrong I am...go ahead!
I'm not saying I want to give up driving. I'd hate it. But let's face facts.

I'm saying if ALL vehicles were self driving, there'd be a lot LESS death and injury on the roads. It's just a fact. People are more fallible than automation.

If that weren't true, we wouldn't need interlocks on punch presses or safety guards on table saws. There's a whole army of stubby handed folks out there that show that's not the case.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #152  
my thought on self driving cars has always been ... just because you Can (build it), doesn't mean you Should. Why do self driving cars even have steering wheels ? That's just in my way when i'm trying to sleep.

However, I think that park assist and back up cameras have merit.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #153  
And charging an EV makes a cross country drive take to long, try it on a horse. Lol.
At least some horses are self-charging...

E9628FCC-C893-42E2-BA11-4E1AD24B7A48.jpeg

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #154  
I have no desire riding a horse cross country. I understand you're being facetious, all out needs are within 8 miles.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #155  
I'm not saying I want to give up driving. I'd hate it. But let's face facts.

I'm saying if ALL vehicles were self driving, there'd be a lot LESS death and injury on the roads. It's just a fact. People are more fallible than automation.

If that weren't true, we wouldn't need interlocks on punch presses or safety guards on table saws. There's a whole army of stubby handed folks out there that show that's not the case.
Man, I've got better things to do. You self driving proponents carry on and enjoy. I made my point.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #156  
We rented a VW a couple years ago that had adaptive cruise control, lane assist, and some other things. I really liked it.

I'd like to try a Cadillac with Super Cruise.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #158  
And that's my point. If they go that route, eventually self driving will be mandated and you will no longer have an option to drive if you wish because htey will deem it unsafe.
Won't happen in this century...!

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #159  
Moss...I enjoy your posts and replies but man...you gotta THINK!!! This is where YOU MISS THE POINT (no offense).
Ok...both the school bus AND my car are in self drive mode. At this point...we're talking about MAN MADE *****!!! (emphasis hopefully so you understand). Have you ever heard of anything man makes to fail? A brake master cylinder, throttle sticks, etc.????
In a PERFECT Disneyland ride world you are correct, but the world is far from perfect.
So the bus pulls up...right as I approach intersection the bus brakes fail, throttle sticks, etc. Now what?
Look...all I did for 43 years was troubleshoot and repair man made electronic equipment, repair because man made crap fails! Nothing is perfect and I saw it every day 43 years (still see it).
Now...your turn explain to me I'm full of it and how wrong I am...go ahead!
No matter what the subject is, there are always exceptions. I know of people who were in crashes where being thrown from the vehicle may have saved their lives. Yet more times than not the seat belt is a life saver.
Personally, I hate ABS and have done several hundred dollars worth of front end damage because the truck wouldn't stop on a gravel road when I told it to. I used to disable it, until I realized that if I ever did get into an accident I would be on the hook.
Ironically, what made me realize that was when I almost T-boned a guy in the driver's door. He looked right at me and pulled out;
had my ABS been working he would be dead. Yet that's just an exception. Most people prefer not to learn how to drive, so we need "Help" from technology.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #160  
Didn't Stallone star in a crappy movie (Time Cop or something) with self driving cars and it was illegal to drive yourself? :)

BTW - I wanted to share that I was passed on the highway this morning (I was in the middle lane doing about 70ish) by a Tesla, in which the drive was clearly on his laptop doing something entirely different. He wasn't going substantially faster than me and the windows were not tinted, so I could see that he was clearly responding to emails or something.