Self driving cars will get their drivers killed

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #131  
Yep. If all vehicles were self driving and interconnected, they'd not get into the crashes that humans cause by bad/poor decisions, slow reaction time, inattention, distraction, etc.

Of course, going to work would be about as exciting as the It's a Small World ride at Disney, but hey, more of us would be alive and insurance costs would go down.
I wonder how it would affect heavy traffic at rush hour, construction sites, lane merges, etc.? If vehicles automatically kept "safe" distances from others it would seem that traffic would be spread out even more than now. Much as most of us hate aggressive city drivers, it's a necessary skill in that environment.
Of course I’m saying all this in jest so please don’t come at me with fires and pitchforks! I believe the real argument is what level of government intrusion do we want in our world? Driving on the road is a privilege, not a right. When we start taking away all risks in the name of safety it starts a slippery slope.
No fire or pitchforks from me. While I'm all for designing products that aren't needlessly dangerous there seem to be those who think that everything be made totally idiot proof.
That having been said, I am a bit surprised that automakers (especially on EVs) are allowed to incorporate every function into those huge touchscreens in the middle of the dash, especially when it's necessary to dig thru menu levels to perform everyday tasks like adjusting the heater, mirrors, etc. making it necessary for the driver to take their eyes off the road to do so. More technology isn't always the answer. K.I.S.S.!

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed
I'm not seeing anything bad by this ....?
Definitely keep car thieves from not going as far..New car dealers will absolutely love it....
I'm not sure about you, but I am not a fan of the concept that the government can shut down my car any time they want.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #133  
I'm not sure about you, but I am not a fan of the concept that the government can shut down my car any time they want.
They'll just hit you with a drone missle instead.

Self driving cars could help traffic if they all talked to each other, all accelerating and braking together eliminating the accordian effect.

Then when there is a 2 to 1 lane closure on a 55mph packed highway they can all speed up to 110mph to keep traffic from conjesting.;)

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #134  
Government may want them for safety reason but honestly doubt they want to track you. Government wanted seat belts too.
Still think its a great idea for retrieving stolen cars..I have no fear of the government tracking me or turning my car off. Absolutely none.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #136  
Perhaps if they would just shut down "that guy" who just has to drive in the left lane to get in front... long after everybody else has followed the "Merge right" sign...

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #137  
Government may want them for safety reason but honestly doubt they want to track you. Government wanted seat belts too.
Still think its a great idea for retrieving stolen cars..I have no fear of the government tracking me or turning my car off. Absolutely none.
No, the government was pressured into requiring seatbelts by the public. Even once they were mandatory on cars, few people used them. Not until non-seatbelt usage became a ticketable offense, did Americans start using seat belts.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #138  
No, the government was pressured into requiring seatbelts by the public. Even once they were mandatory on cars, few people used them. Not until non-seatbelt usage became a ticketable offense, did Americans start using seat belts.
I've worn mine most of the time since 1981, when I was in a junkyard and saw what a person's shoulder can do to the heavy steel door of a '70s vintage pickup.

I have never supported the law mandating them.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #139  
DOH! Reality check!

Yep. If all vehicles were self driving and interconnected, they'd not get into the crashes that humans cause by bad/poor decisions, slow reaction time, inattention, distraction, etc.

Of course, going to work would be about as exciting as the It's a Small World ride at Disney, but hey, more of us would be alive and insurance costs would go down.
Self driving cannot outdrive/out think an experienced driver. The maneuver I made was insane, illegal and not one a computer would make...but we're safe & sound because of it, and I could give other examples.

/ Self driving cars will get their drivers killed #140  
That is true if technology can be advanced to where it has a high degree of certainty. There would be way less crashes, and the government would certainly be keeping us safe. Perhaps we should expand it to all things in life? We should live in government supplied apartment buildings that have been deemed safe for our existence. Certainly individual property ownership leads to potential for accidents. And by all means we should advanced vegetarian factory foods, because that would certainly save the planet. oh, and my owning a gun can really lead to an accident, certainly need to ban those.

Of course I’m saying all this in jest so please don’t come at me with fires and pitchforks! I believe the real argument is what level of government intrusion do we want in our world? Driving on the road is a privilege, not a right. When we start taking away all risks in the name of safety it starts a slippery slope.
News flash... If you have a smart phone, the government knows what they need to if they actually deem the time worthy of looking you up;)