Server Stats

/ Server Stats #1  

Ibrahim

Administrator
Tractor
My CPU is a neural net processor.
Just thought I'd tell you all what we're running on now.

We have a single server running RedHat Linux 6.2

It has a 750mhz AMD Processor (Which hasn't been taken below 90% idle since we started)
256MB Ram (Which is the first thing we'll have to upgrade, in a few months?)
9.1 GB SCSI (The SCSI is what's really helping the Database speed. Every time you click a link in the discussion board it has to access the Database, this speeds it up. AND we can finally keep a whole month of logs on the server at once!)

We're connected a BIT better than we were before. Our server is in San Antonio, which makes it closer to everyone. It's also on:

2 OC-12 Connections
5 OC-3 Connections
4 DS-3 Connections

An OC-12 connection is 620 megs a second. That's the only connection there I'm sure of the speed. So we can transfer atleast 1.2 gigs of data a second. TBN doesn't even come close to that.

Well, that's about all I have to say, I'm still working out the email bugs.

-Ibrahim

/ Server Stats #2  
<font color=blue>Our server is in San Antonio</font color=blue>

No wonder the great improvement; you moved to Texas!/w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird

/ Server Stats #3  
Wow. That's not even a dazzling machine by todays standards. Begs one to wonder what you were running on before. Was the issue memory, processor speed, disc speed, or the size of the pipe? Possibly a combination of all the above?

Whatever the issue was, it sure seems solved now!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif This site is SMOKIN!. Nice work, and excellent job of pushing the appropriate buttons!

Checkin through TBN had been taking quite a while before. I would usually point it to a furum or whatever, then minimize it while I did something else. It now comes back so fast, that I just click through an item at a time, and it takes less than a second./w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with a lot more users on at a time! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

The GlueGuy

/ Server Stats #4  
Oh yeah... THANKS to Ibrahim, for making this actually work smoothly. He's been prepping the new server the past two days and is still working at it now as we enjoy a very fast website. When he said at about 5:00 this evening (end of the work day for most) "let's change servers now" I was a little skeptical... heading into peak hours of the posting day. But the only obstacle was transfer being slow on the OLD server, so moving the databases and such took the most time, then the setup of the forum on the new server... all completed within about an hour. Really, direct your thanks to him, because the technical expertise and work he contributes to this site really makes it happen.

As I said in another thread (have a few on the server now /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif), we can upgrade so easily now... within 24 hours, and likely much quicker than that. So far, so good.

msig.gif

/ Server Stats #5  
Ibrahim

A post close to home!/w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

If you're interesed I can sell you a nice Lucent Technologies
400G system, upgradable to 1.6T
4 OC-3 makes an OC-12
4 OC-12 makes an OC-48 (2.5G)
4 OC-48 makes a 10G
80 OC-48 makes a 400G
320 OC-48 makes an 1.6T

This site screams!!

Thanks

18-29411-dave.jpg

We're all in this together! (3)
Executive Ex-Yuppie Tractor Owner
<font color=orange>[Advertise your business here]</font color=orange>

/ Server Stats
Sure, do you take food stamps?

-Ibrahim

/ Server Stats
That could very well be it!

I even think it's bunkered down to survive a Nuclear attack. But I'd have to check on that.

-Ibrahim

/ Server Stats #8  
Ibrahim,

You're gonna need to add a FEL and brushhog to that older tractor model you've got...Dual Pentium Pro 200 /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

AMD & Intel had their price decreases last week... let's go to the 1.3 GB Athlon.../w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Whatever you've done ... You've done well...

Thanks.

18-35197-JD5205JFMsignaturelogo.JPG

/ Server Stats
This same machine would have trouble running the latest games, but fortunately Linux and Apache know how to use a machine very efficiently.

I was doing my darndest to find out WHAT the problem was on our last server. It really came down to having a messed up install of MySQL (Which they couldn't repair for us).

That is my official position on why THAT was broken. The Extra RAM (read: a little more than 10x as much as previous machine) and SCSI is just Icing on the Cake.

I'm watching this new server's memory usage near 100% but that's OK! because we also have Swap and it hasn't even dipped into it yet. (But even a SCSI swap isn't as fast as real RAM.)

This should allow TBN to grow much larger much faster! No pun intended.

-Ibrahim

/ Server Stats #10  
Sure,
Got about 4 Million?

18-29411-dave.jpg

We're all in this together! (3)
Executive Ex-Yuppie Tractor Owner
<font color=orange>[Advertise your business here]</font color=orange>