Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,581  
Other than being about 1000# over the weight limit of the trailer if that is a the normal 3500# axle and not a 5200# axle

Those bales looked like grass hay, I figured 1k a piece.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,582  
To me it just makes more sense. A place to sleep and make something to eat. Don't need to pull a house behind you!

It would be cool if they made a rail mounted system where you could easily take off your bed and put on a camper. Or flatbed.

Nobody in their right mind is comparing a home on wheels to a truck bed camper. A 15 foot or less single axel camper would have to handle better and be a lot easier to deal with.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,583  
And then like the trailer, park it next to your house for the other 350 days of the year.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,584  
And then like the trailer, park it next to your house for the other 350 days of the year.

Are you driving around with the camper insert for 350 days a year or is it sitting beside your house too?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,585  
Truck bed campers are great, if you tow something to where you camp (IE offroad vehicle or boat) it is much easier than having a motor home that is another giant chassis to take care of... Unless that camper has a slide out on the other side it's probably around 2200lb dry (assuming 10' length), if 12' length around 2500lb. I have a 10' S&S camper and it's listed as 2300lb if memory serves, the 11.6' Lance I had was rated at 2500lb. Not that I'm saying that was a good idea, the COG is at least a foot behind the rear axle...

The camper is why I lowered my F350 2" from the 4" lift it had when I got it... not that it's that bad but only having air bags and a rear sway bar it's tall... right around 12' to the vents.

Those talking about getting in, I have a step that goes into the hitch, it's not too bad, and if I'm towing a trailer I'll usually leave the trailer on and put a small pallet down on the ground for the first step then the tongue for the second...

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,586  
Truck bed campers are great, if you tow something to where you camp (IE offroad vehicle or boat) it is much easier than having a motor home that is another giant chassis to take care of... Unless that camper has a slide out on the other side it's probably around 2200lb dry (assuming 10' length), if 12' length around 2500lb. I have a 10' S&S camper and it's listed as 2300lb if memory serves, the 11.6' Lance I had was rated at 2500lb. Not that I'm saying that was a good idea, the COG is at least a foot behind the rear axle...

The camper is why I lowered my F350 2" from the 4" lift it had when I got it... not that it's that bad but only having air bags and a rear sway bar it's tall... right around 12' to the vents.

Those talking about getting in, I have a step that goes into the hitch, it's not too bad, and if I'm towing a trailer I'll usually leave the trailer on and put a small pallet down on the ground for the first step then the tongue for the second...

The one on the broke truck was built for an 8’ truck and sticks off the back maybe 2’ so that’s 10’. And then the front over hang sticks past the mirror on the truck.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,587  
Those bales looked like grass hay, I figured 1k a piece.

I was figuring about the same. A single axle 12 foot landscape trailer with a single 3500# axle on a trailer weight of 900# which is what mine weighed when I owned it. So that leaves about 2100# for payload excluding tongue weight. Did 3200# on mine once without knowing the weight until I went across a set of scales. The problem with those trailers is the center of the axle bottoms out on the bed before the springs compress very far. Takes the camber out of the axle permanently.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,588  
The problem with those trailers is the center of the axle bottoms out on the bed before the springs compress very far. Takes the camber out of the axle permanently.

Yes... it does.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,589  
As for Camper insert compared to camper. Insert takes up less space, has no drivetrain, tires or brakes. How many campers have just grown old, having little miles on them? Many , I would guess.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,590  
As for Camper insert compared to camper. Insert takes up less space, has no drivetrain, tires or brakes. How many campers have just grown old, having little miles on them? Many , I would guess.
Really whether or not it's an insert vs trailer vs RV has little to do with it. Almost all are stick built & age poorly. Mileage ages them faster. But the frame moves a bit & the skin ir roof starts leaking.

I'm a fan of the fiberglass shell trailers. The shell is the structure & the skin. The only weak or leak points are the windows & doors. They last for decades. Usually need a remodel at that point but are still solid.