Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

paulfun9

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kioti DK40
Between chains strap and winch line I also would have stayed completely on top! BUT in my younger years I would have pulled him out any way nessasary with what I had.

dragoneggs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota BX-25D, Kubota Z122RKW-42
I had to dodge 1x6s flying out of the back of a pickup like a deck of cards recently going up 303 from Silverdale to East Bremerton. My wife did not want me to follow the SOB driver. I tried calling it in when we got to Seabecks Pizza in Silverdale but I never got the license plate. Ever heard of Seabecks Pizza? :D
Yep, there are six of them... Silverdale, Poulsbo, Bremerton, Gig Harbor, Belfair and the one about a mile from us, at the Seabeck Marina. Honestly I think a better pizza can be found at Tony's on Kitsap Way in Bremerton. Absolutely great price for nice bottles of wine too... no mark up!

dodge man

Tractor
JD 2025R
I also would have pulled him from way up higher on the hill. Traction would have been a lot better and less mud.

Jstpssng

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L3301
^^^
At the end of the day they were destroying somebody else's property- in this case, land which belongs to the people of the state where it happened. Even the 4WD clubs are learning to discourage that type of stunt.

aeblank

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940
I'm about to go tow something wrong just to get a picture to post.....

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
I'm about to go tow something wrong just to get a picture to post.....
I tow wrong on a regular basis. It's not such a monumental thing to me. If I can get it on the draw bar.... I can tow it.

zing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case IH 1390
Here is a video of someone towing a skid loader on a multi-lane highway. It started swaying and tried passing him at one point...close call.:eek:

Tractor Tow Fishtailing Close Call || ViralHog - YouTube

Buddy has no idea why it fishtailed either. You can tell it is too far back on the trailer and not enough tongue weight because when he is back there looking at it and he steps off the fender to the trailer deck behind the skid steer the whole back of the truck bounces upward. With proper tongue weight on that hitch it should have barely moved. The way he has it balanced there it is way too light on the hitch, and that caused the fishtail. Instead of pulling it farther forward on the trailer, he just gets back in and pulls back onto the highway.

Must have been pretty well strapped down though. :)

plowhog

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey 1710 / 1758, Ventrac 4500Y / TD9
Buddy has no idea why it fishtailed either.

Looks to me like he induced it using the steering wheel. I see his left shoulder going up, then again, then stronger as the fishtail begins then gets more pronounced. Each time his shoulder goes up he is turning the wheel.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
And Mr. Safety in his lime green safety wear just goes on, (probably) doing exactly the same thing! Unbelievable!

BigBlue1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD: 2520 & x758
And Mr. Safety in his lime green safety wear just goes on, (probably) doing exactly the same thing! Unbelievable!

I'm guessing when he left he probably drove a little slower to his destination after that butt-clenching ride. Maybe he didn't have the key for the skidsteer and couldn't do anything to reposition it so he didn't have much choice. Let's not always assume the worst...

Rob

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota R510 Wheel Loader + Cab and backhoe, JD 6200 Open Station, Cushman 6150, 4x4, ten foot 56 hp Kubota diesel hydraulic wing mower, Steiner 430 Diesel Max, Kawasaki Diesel Mule, JD 4x2 Electric Gator
Yeah, true. Guess he's just a guy that gets right back on the horse! He didn't seem too disturbed by the whole thing. I wonder if he knows how lucky he is?

ruffdog

Tractor
Bobcat Toolcat 5610G Deere X744
Yeah, true. Guess he's just a guy that gets right back on the horse! He didn't seem too disturbed by the whole thing. I wonder if he knows how lucky he is?

....and how lucky the people around him were! I bet the trailer tires lost some tread........wow, they did good and didn't blow.

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
Comments on the video, the guy claims his foreman loaded the trailer and it was his first time towing. If that is the case, he needs to give that foreman and earful for trying to kill him with an improperly loaded trailer and the foreman needs to give the guy a big steak dinner for one helluva good save.

zing

Platinum Member
Tractor
Case IH 1390
Looks to me like he induced it using the steering wheel. I see his left shoulder going up, then again, then stronger as the fishtail begins then gets more pronounced. Each time his shoulder goes up he is turning the wheel.

He was steering in an effort to keep it on the road, but he didn't cause the fishtail with a small initial steering wheel movement. A properly loaded trailer should absorb normal steering wheel movements instead of them causing the trailer to start fishtailing wildly. The way that situation started without any significant movement to start it and then escalated so quickly, indicates the weight distribution on the trailer is probably the cause.

Watch this video if you do not understand how weight distribution on the trailer and tongue weight will cause it to fishtail.

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Mahindra 4035HST purchased 2013 - Husqvarna TS348-D purchased 2019 - Craftsman 42" HST purchased 2003
Towing with a mustang is wrong, even if it is only a scale model...

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
Towing with a mustang is wrong, even if it is only a scale model...
That may be true, but that viral YouTube video that has shown up all over is the greatest thing for towing safety since the safety chain. I've seen it show up everywhere non trailer related & the lightbulb come on for so many people because of it.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
I like the REAL Youtube video of the guy pulling the fancy sports car going into a speed wobble and crashing in spectacular fashion, better!

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Dats Zit! Sparks real good!

ptsg

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson F36Rn
That looks to me that he loaded the car too far back and it needed more tongue weight. Plus, European trailers are rated to 100 km/h (62 mph) max. Since he is on the highway, which the max speed is 120 km/h (75 mph), I'm pretty sure he is way over the speed limit.

Even though the trailers here have surge brakes and parking brakes, it doesn't make it idiot proof.

Here is my setup. I'm still figuring the weight distribution out but I'm really close to the right balance. In the picture was a bit too heavy on the front. On the second picture, it the best I managed to get so far.

IMG_20180721_163851.jpgIMG_20180705_095853.jpg

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Maybe I'm wrong, but that looks a little wrong to me. Strap placement, that is. I like to stretch the load if you like, rather than compress it, if I am conveying my thinking properly. Aside from the mower being properly tied down, it "almost" looks like the straps on the tractor would allow you to pick the tractor straight up.

Last edited:

ptsg

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson F36Rn
I agree with you on the front strap stretching, but I had to it that way, because that is where the trailer cross-member is. Otherwise the strap would just slide along the rail. I've been thinking on some better tie-down points for the trailer.

As far as stretching the load or compress, I don't think it really matters, as long as the straps are working against each other to prevent the load from moving. If the load can rock back and forth with these trailers, it will transfer that motion to the trailer, which will activate the surge brakes causing excessive wear on the brakes and excess of fuel consumption.

Redlands Okie

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3560
Keep in mind that it’s well worth the effort to get the trailor set up so that the straps can be hooked or attached in a manner that makes sure the straps CANNOT become unhooked regardless of how much slack gets in them. Things happen and once a strap gets loose and the hook comes loose then some issues arise that best left alone.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
The trailer is too short to get the minimum DOT tie down angle of 45 degrease so he did that part right. The biggest problem I see is no strap protectors. I usually just use 4 straps so there’s no contact with the straps.

ptsg

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson F36Rn
Absolutely. I'm trying to figure out some better tie-down points so make it even more secure.

I've had to brake really hard a couple of times because some idiots cut me off and I've stopped right away to check the load. Nothing had moved, not even a thousand of an inch.

Rock Crawler

Veteran Member
Tractor
2021 Kubota L3560 HSTC, 2011 Craftsman Excellerator GT (680hrs), 2018 Husqvarna TS354XD, 2017 Husqvarna HU800AWD, 2019 Kawasaki Mule Pro DX (Yanmar)
I agree with you on the front strap stretching, but I had to it that way, because that is where the trailer cross-member is. Otherwise the strap would just slide along the rail. I've been thinking on some better tie-down points for the trailer.

Dude, just grab a dozen or so of the weld on D Rings from Amazon or Tractor Supply... Glue them down the length and across the front frame and rear frame... Done.

I have mine about every 3 feet, that way no matter what I'm loading I have something to grab to... D Rings or pockets...

ptsg

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson F36Rn
This is a full galvanized trailer. I don't really want to messed that up by welding or drilling holes.

This is also a multi-purpose trailer. I will build the sides for it eventually so I can haul sand, gravel and whatever it may haul. The sides will probably cover the side rails.

aczlan

Super Star Member
Tractor
Case 480F LL, Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660
This is a full galvanized trailer. I don't really want to messed that up by welding or drilling holes.

This is also a multi-purpose trailer. I will build the sides for it eventually so I can haul sand, gravel and whatever it may haul. The sides will probably cover the side rails.
Looks like you have pull up tiedown anchors every few feet on the sides, perhaps use those (would need different straps)? If not, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Forged-D-Rings-Trailer-Tie-down-Ring-27014/dp/B013QE9TZ8 might match the existing holes or bolts.

Aaron Z

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
I have said it before and it bugs me. DOT insists on strap integrity but disregards what it is attached to. I have a commercially built dump trailer (DJD) and it looks like a four year old with a stick welder put it together.

ptsg

Elite Member
Tractor
Branson F36Rn
Looks like you have pull up tiedown anchors every few feet on the sides, perhaps use those (would need different straps)? If not, something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Forged-D-Rings-Trailer-Tie-down-Ring-27014/dp/B013QE9TZ8 might match the existing holes or bolts.

Aaron Z

The ones that came with the trailer look a bit to weak to hold a 4000 lbs tractor. They are rated for 1100 lbs and are just a bit over 3/8" (10 mm) in diamater.

I might give those D-rings a try once I source them over here in Portugal.

4570Man

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M59, Kubota L3800, Grasshopper 428D, Topkick dump truck, 3500 dump truck, 10 ton trailer, more lighter trailers.
I have said it before and it bugs me. DOT insists on strap integrity but disregards what it is attached to. I have a commercially built dump trailer (DJD) and it looks like a four year old with a stick welder put it together.

I also find that pretty humorous. I also believe in most cases a properly installed hook point would rip off before a 3/8 chain breaks. Another thing I see that bugs me is D rings welded on wrong. They’re only rated for a straight pull and weight rating is only a small fraction of the original working load pulling on them sideways.

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
Or use some wood screws and mount that recessed D ring to the wooden deck!

fried1765

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, 8N Ford, Gravely 12 HP "Professional", 48" SCAG Liberty
The lane's not so much the issue as following a car length back from group of cars at 75mph for 30 miles.

SO TRUE !!!!

Sysop

Elite Member
Tractor
Some suitcase weights would do that tractor wonders.

California

Super Star Member
Tractor
Yanmar YM240, and now just one YM186D
Here's a photo I took in New Delhi in 2004.
5~10~? tons of concrete fencing, likely no brakes, urban traffic. The additional seating on the tractor is for his laborers.

There are more of my India tractor photos in this old thread: Eicher (India)

30453d1101685284-eicher-india-537389-img_1092eicher1-jpg

ratitude

Tractor
Kubota L2501, Massey Ferguson 135
I took this picture in Shanghai two weeks ago. Guess he felt he didn't need a trailer. I actually saw this twice, no idea if it was the same guy or not. Did not see any evidence of chains or anything. Those front tires would spin like crazy when he took off down the road!IMG952019010795182309.jpeg

Industrial Toys

Super Star Member
Tractor
I don't know if to think, how uncivilized a society, or to be jealous for the lack of government control.

I saw a picture of young kids in Mexico having a great time going down the highway in the back of a pickup truck. No Nanny state there. Again, I find myself at odds.

Fallon

Tractor
Kubota L4060hstc, formerly L3200hst
I don't know if to think, how uncivilized a society, or to be jealous for the lack of government control.

I saw a picture of young kids in Mexico having a great time going down the highway in the back of a pickup truck. No Nanny state there. Again, I find myself at odds.
I hear that. I'm a huge believer in personal liberty. But in Afghanistan & Kuwait I saw such a disregard for human safety, life or others property. It really made me respect government a lot more. Ya, we get a nanny state at times, but it does make for a much better quality of life for most people. Emissions systems suck to buy & maintain, but are so worth it for society as a whole if you've been somewhere that has a couple thousand feet or less of visibility due to smog.

cqaigy2

Tractor
PT 422
I hear that. I'm a huge believer in personal liberty. But in Afghanistan & Kuwait I saw such a disregard for human safety, life or others property. It really made me respect government a lot more. Ya, we get a nanny state at times, but it does make for a much better quality of life for most people. Emissions systems suck to buy & maintain, but are so worth it for society as a whole if you've been somewhere that has a couple thousand feet or less of visibility due to smog.

Amen to that brother.