Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,181  
I am surprised the tires not bulging out - that is a lot of weight

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,182  
Those look like 17.5” tires. Probably enough tire but the trailer looks pretty light for that load.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,184  
In the first part of the video, the ford is up high on the bank. The truck slides sidways to the bottom. A normal truck would not have made it out much less drug a Toyota with him.

Some times, your stuck until the petal is mashed to the floor to clean out the tires.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,185  
In the first part of the video, the ford is up high on the bank. The truck slides sidways to the bottom. A normal truck would not have made it out much less drug a Toyota with him.

Some times, your stuck until the petal is mashed to the floor to clean out the tires.
I disagree, the Toyota made it partway up and out of the muddy bottom until the tow strap pulled it back down.
In the beginning, the Ford looks like it could have used less throttle while backing up once they were through the muddy spot.
IMO, the Ford drove in the bottom specifically to cover the Toyota in mud.
When you are on muddy grass that is not yet torn up, you can often get the same amount of work done with less throttle and damage to the ground if you can keep the wheels from spinning and chewing up the grass.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,186  
I would expect nothing less from someone who would ruin the capabilities of their truck with a lift kit and tires like that...
At least the Toyota driver was trying to get up out of the bottom of the valley as soon as he could. Not sure why the moron in the Ford is try pulling from up on the side of the hill rather than down in the valley so that he didn't have to go through all that mud again.

The driver of the Toyota was not very smart turning towards the hill when the driver in controll was clearly not going to be able to pull him up the side from the beginning. By turning the wheels the wrong way he was just making the tow much harder than it needed to be and forcing the other truck to work harder.
The driver of the Toyota should have steered with the truck pulling him not to the hill. I f I was towing you and you did that I would make you get out and let someone who knows what they are doing behind the wheel drive your vehicle or let you stay there!

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,187  
The driver of the Toyota was not very smart turning towards the hill when the driver in controll was clearly not going to be able to pull him up the side from the beginning. By turning the wheels the wrong way he was just making the tow much harder than it needed to be and forcing the other truck to work harder.
How was it clear that the Ford wasn't able to go up the hill? The Toyota was able to get up and from what I saw even get some slack in the tow strap. IMO, the Ford could have done the same if the driver wasn't intent on covering the Toyota with mud to prove how he was "the big man"

The driver of the Toyota should have steered with the truck pulling him not to the hill. I f I was towing you and you did that I would make you get out and let someone who knows what they are doing behind the wheel drive your vehicle or let you stay there!
We don't know what happened before the video, perhaps it was agreed to go uphill as soon as possible. With as much mud as the Ford was throwing, the Toyota driver may not have been able to see that the Ford was staying low.

Aaron Z

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,188  
My first rule of towing someone out of a muddy low spot is to not put the tow vehicle into the muddy low spot, or into a situation where they will slide into the muddy low spot. Get a longer strap if it means keeping the tow vehicle high and dry. Seen way too many debacles caused when multiple vehicles get stuck trying to pull out the first guy.

For all it's macho, that Ford was a real poor choice to use in grass/mud due to the dual rear wheels and tire/suspension setup. Normally I would have though anyone who owned that type of truck would be conscious of the effect of dual rear wheels, the ponderous layout/weight, the crappy traction from those clown tires, etc, and have some brains. Especially on a side hill. But many people are buying HD trucks these days and duding them up with no intention of using them for work and no idea of the capabilities and limitations. So it may have been a brainless city slicker driving the Ford.

I think back to the days I drove a roll-back truck used for moving buildings and construction equipment, and we often helped pull people out because to them it was a car hauler so it was natural to flag us down. And we'd always help. But I can't tell you how many times I had to tell people that it would be hopeless to get our truck off the road or on the grass/mud. Luckily we had the winch on the bed and carried a lot of chain, so we could almost always leave our truck on the road or shoulder and yank out the other vehicle. I wouldn't treat that Ford duallie any different than our old roll-back. In fact this particular Ford may be worse.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,189  
I disagree, the Toyota made it partway up and out of the muddy bottom until the tow strap pulled it back down.
In the beginning, the Ford looks like it could have used less throttle while backing up once they were through the muddy spot.
IMO, the Ford drove in the bottom specifically to cover the Toyota in mud.
When you are on muddy grass that is not yet torn up, you can often get the same amount of work done with less throttle and damage to the ground if you can keep the wheels from spinning and chewing up the grass.

Aaron Z

Did you see him slide from a point higher than the toyota to the bottom? He had no intention of going to the bottom. I personally would not have towed the other truck at that point and just got myself out. Looks like after he slid to the bottom, he shifts to hi range to clean the tires, and then he starts moving. If he slid down the hill, he was not coming back up. He had to find a shallower angle and better ground to go up. I have been in the same situation with a backhoe sitting on the frame many times fixing telephone cable.

He was showing out a little, but once the tires are gummed up you gotta sling the mud out.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,190  
Saw this guy at the quarry last week, he’s about 1300 to 1500 lbs over the GVWR for that poor truck. It was riding on the stops and not looking too good. Neat trick getting the scale to read 7000 on the nose.

7A5C1D17-AA55-4899-BF00-1715CD1948DB.jpeg