Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,191  
How was it clear that the Ford wasn't able to go up the hill? The Toyota was able to get up and from what I saw even get some slack in the tow strap. IMO, the Ford could have done the same if the driver wasn't intent on covering the Toyota with mud to prove how he was "the big man"

We don't know what happened before the video, perhaps it was agreed to go uphill as soon as possible. With as much mud as the Ford was throwing, the Toyota driver may not have been able to see that the Ford was staying low.

Aaron Z

If the Toyota was able to get up then why did it need a tow to begin with?

That Dually needed to go to the point he did to get out himself because if he tried anyplace else he would have dug himself in.

None of us were there but it’s clear to me that by turning the wheels he was just creating drag. Knowing the average communications between those needing towed and the average person willing to tow I would doubt highly the driver of the black truck told him he could go right back up a hill he just slid down with a truck that weighs over 9000lbs. Anyone thinks he did would in my opinion be automatically relegated to a passenger seat till both vehicles were free. If he did in fact tell the Toyota driver to do that then he himself had no buisness even attempting to tow anyone out of anything!

Judging by the looks of the driver he had more of a clue about things than most realize and knew very accurately the limitations of his long heavy truck and tires. He proves it by getting both trucks free even with the driver of the Toyota doing his best to hold the ford back with his tires turned.

The mud slung would have been a lot less had the Toyota simply followed and helped build momentum to get up at the point chosen by he lead driver.
Rule number one the tow vehicle is always in charge and leads the way anyone who thinks it’s wise to steere opposite of the direction being towed deserves the damage that can result if something hidden like a rock, stump or hidden hole loosely filled in with light brush sucks in that turned tire and the 9000+ lbs truck tears it’s wheel right off because it will just keep pulling!
I have seen it happen many times and in this case I would have stopped the tow and asked my wife to drive the Toyota as she at least has enough sense to do as told whe driving the vehicle being towed.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,192  
If the Toyota was able to get up then why did it need a tow to begin with?

That Dually needed to go to the point he did to get out himself because if he tried anyplace else he would have dug himself in.

None of us were there but it痴 clear to me that by turning the wheels he was just creating drag. Knowing the average communications between those needing towed and the average person willing to tow I would doubt highly the driver of the black truck told him he could go right back up a hill he just slid down with a truck that weighs over 9000lbs. Anyone thinks he did would in my opinion be automatically relegated to a passenger seat till both vehicles were free. If he did in fact tell the Toyota driver to do that then he himself had no buisness even attempting to tow anyone out of anything!

Judging by the looks of the driver he had more of a clue about things than most realize and knew very accurately the limitations of his long heavy truck and tires. He proves it by getting both trucks free even with the driver of the Toyota doing his best to hold the ford back with his tires turned.

The mud slung would have been a lot less had the Toyota simply followed and helped build momentum to get up at the point chosen by he lead driver.
Rule number one the tow vehicle is always in charge and leads the way anyone who thinks it痴 wise to steere opposite of the direction being towed deserves the damage that can result if something hidden like a rock, stump or hidden hole loosely filled in with light brush sucks in that turned tire and the 9000+ lbs truck tears it痴 wheel right off because it will just keep pulling!
I have seen it happen many times and in this case I would have stopped the tow and asked my wife to drive the Toyota as she at least has enough sense to do as told whe driving the vehicle being towed.
IMO, the dually should have never pulled from down there. They should have been about 10' uphill from where they started slipping and slid into the bottom, roughly here:
attachment.php

The Ford driver tried to back in in a S shape (going lower than needed and well forward of the Toyota so he could pull the Toyota straight forward) and hit the mud when the muddy section moved up slope from where he was expecting.
He should have walked the area he was going to drive on BEFORE he pulled his $90,000 truck off of the shoulder and known where to stop.
Then when he slid down, he should have driven out and backed up to the Toyota from higher on the slope rather than dragging it down into the mudpit.

Aaron Z

Attachments

• StuckTruck.PNG
    StuckTruck.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 582
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,193  
Here is the line that his RH tires should have followed:
586158d1546809181-share-pics-people-hauling-towing-stucktruck2-png

586159d1546809247-share-pics-people-hauling-towing-stucktruck3-png

Also, who in their right mind just loops a tow strap over the ball on their truck? That is just asking for the ball to become a missile...

Aaron Z

Attachments

• StuckTruck2.PNG
    StuckTruck2.PNG
    1.5 MB · Views: 511
  • StuckTruck3.PNG
    StuckTruck3.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 509
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,194  
Also, who in their right mind just loops a tow strap over the ball on their truck? That is just asking for the ball to become a missile...

Aaron Z

I will, My ball is a 32,000 lb working load. I bet his ball was rated for more than the toyota weighed.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,195  
Takes traction to create a breaking force. Neither had enough to create concern.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,196  
As wrong as they both were, I did notice the Ford got the Dodge OUT!

Guess maybe it wasn't so wrong after all.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,197  
Not sure how many vehicles you have pulled out but I can assure you starting where you suggest would have ended in a failed attempt and had him unhooking and pulling from a different spot.
The point you mark is exactly where he would not want to be with that truck as it is exactly where he started sliding in the first place. Hooking up there would have simply made his slide to the Bottom faster.

One thing I can assure you here is that for his truck and the one strap available to him he was best pulling the way he did providing he checked the depth of the mud at the bottom first.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,198  
As wrong as they both were, I did notice the Ford got the Dodge OUT!

Guess maybe it wasn't so wrong after all.

Dodge? Gotta look closer before the mud flies. That was a Toyota Tundra that was pulled out. Which is no better nor worse than a Dodge... :D

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,199  
I’d have never hooked on the truck to being with unless I had enough cable to stay in the shoulder. I don’t carry that much cable or straps so back to the not hooking part. First off if the first truck got stuck I’d figure mine would also get stuck. Second throwing mud like that is a sure fire way to break a window. Third it makes a huge mess.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #9,200  
Yep - no way am I heading down into the mess. Too likely to get stuck and I have no urge to clean up my vehicle after that. If I can't reach the vehicle with the two straps I carry and my winch line Im out...