Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,601  
I wonder what his tickets were for;
looks like he had brakes and lights.
License type maybe? CGVW rating?

At least he had a slow moving sign on the back. Was the trailers brakes operable using whatever is on the tongue? How fast was he going and how far?

That's what I was wondering too. Maybe he was traveling too fast, but I've seen enough double hay wagons being towed that seemed far less safe than this trailer.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,602  
I would think its lack of valid brakes, He would have to jump through hoops to make the air brakes work correctly

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,603  
I worked at IH back in the late 70's when they switched some of the air brake components over to a new style, and it took all their engineers over a week to make the brakes test/work correctly with a whole team of engineers. I was on air check during that time, and if it wasnt such a PITA it would have been funny watching the engineers working feverishly on the line trying to get the air brakes to test correctly.

Management was standing there breathing down their necks to get the engineers to figure it out.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,604  
Really whether or not it's an insert vs trailer vs RV has little to do with it. Almost all are stick built & age poorly. Mileage ages them faster. But the frame moves a bit & the skin ir roof starts leaking.

I'm a fan of the fiberglass shell trailers. The shell is the structure & the skin. The only weak or leak points are the windows & doors. They last for decades. Usually need a remodel at that point but are still solid.

The fiberglass trailers and RV's are definitely better than the stick framed (matchsticks almost) sheet metal skinned ones.

I'm convinced that IF i ever spend money on a trailer again it will be an Airstream. Pricey but I've seen so many that brought almost their new price on resale. Had a friend that bought an Airstream from an insurance company off the last hurricane, he made a ton of money even with the flood brand on the title.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,605  
What about the little Burro, Casita, etc fiberglass 'egg' camp trailers? For towing with a light vehicle (Outback etc) do those tow better than a teardrop trailer, and last longer?

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,606  
At least he had a slow moving sign on the back. Was the trailers brakes operable using whatever is on the tongue? How fast was he going and how far?

The article claims he was towing the 53' trailer with a standard issue 1/2 ton. The pics clearly show 8 lug wheels so its either 3/4 or 1 Ton (not that it makes it safer) I'd guess he got tickets for unregistered trailer and overweight load. I also doubt a SMV sign is legal for this purpose.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,607  
The article claims he was towing the 53' trailer with a standard issue 1/2 ton. The pics clearly show 8 lug wheels so its either 3/4 or 1 Ton (not that it makes it safer) I'd guess he got tickets for unregistered trailer and overweight load. I also doubt a SMV sign is legal for this purpose.

The article I get to from the link said 3/4 ton & I didn't see any slow moving vehicle sign.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,608  
Spot this recently. Pile of plywood held down only by the ramps.
Plywood ramps.jpg

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,609  
The article I get to from the link said 3/4 ton & I didn't see any slow moving vehicle sign.

The author must have edited the story. 2 hours ago it said 1/2T. If you go to the article and scroll down there are other pics showing the homemade air tank, rear of trailer showing brake lights on and the SMV sign.

Attachments

• semi pics.JPG
    semi pics.JPG
    52.4 KB · Views: 203
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #11,610  
What about the little Burro, Casita, etc fiberglass 'egg' camp trailers? For towing with a light vehicle (Outback etc) do those tow better than a teardrop trailer, and last longer?
I've got a Casita now. I paid what it sold for new when I bought it last year, at 14 years old - because that is the going rate. I had a Burro variant that I bought in 2011 and sold last year for triple what I paid. The fiberglass campers really hold their value.

Re tow vehicles, you probably want a 3500 pound tow rating, at least. The Casitas are tongue heavy and usually towed with 5000 pound rated vehicles. Teardrops are cute, but in a fiberglass camper you can stand up to put on your pants.:laughing: