Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,301  
I suspect it was more the tide and the tugs than him but he did move a lot of sand
It's not clear if his work made much difference for a ship that needs 50 ft of depth before it will float.

Maybe his excavation allowed the grounded bow to swivel more easily when the tugs pulled the stern sideways off the opposite bank.

It will be interesting to see the marine surveyors' report of how much damage exists below the EverGiven's waterline.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,302  
I read somewhere (in the numerous accounts on the net) that the nose bulb on the Ever Given had actually rode up on some rock under the sand. Read it and never saw it again.

Will be interesting once the marine survey is made public. I would imagine that there was some 'below the waterline' compartment damage in as much as I also read that the bow thrusters were inoperative due to flooding of their respective compartments.

I wonder if it (Ever Given) is still in the transition lake or if it was deemed 'seaworthy' and was released? Bitter Lake???

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,303  
It's not clear if his work made much difference for a ship that needs 50 ft of depth before it will float.
I read fully laden the draft depth was 52 feet. That kind of eliminates it docking at very many container ports, a lot of displacement draft that most container docks cannot achieve.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,304  
One article said the ship would not be released until all claims were paid. That could take years. No plans mentioned about transferring containers to another ship.

Bruce

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,305  
BENNINGTON, Vt. (AP) — The driver of a large farm vehicle in Vermont arrived at his field to find a car wedged in the frame and the two occupants dead inside, police say.

The driver of the farm vehicle, a truck equipped to spread fertilizer, told Bennington police he thought he had blown a tire as he drove on Vermont Route 9.

But police say a car driven by Charles Schichtl, 85, had rear-ended the vehicle. He and Lorranie Schichtl, 82, both of Petersburg, New York, were pronounced dead.

The driver of the farm truck was not injured. Police continue to investigate the crash.

Sorta makes you go, Huh?

A little more:

The farming vehicle was a New Leader Dry Hauler, according to the BPD release, and was being operated by Matthew Williams, 29, of Bennington, who wasn’t injured.

Police, Bennington Rescue Squad and Bennington Rural Fire Department personnel were dispatched to the scene. According to the release, responders found the Camry wedged under the rear of the farming vehicle.

Both occupants of the car were initially reported to be unresponsive. A Life Net flight transport helicopter was called out, but it was canceled prior to arriving.

The farm vehicle was heading west on West Road, police said, when the Camry struck the rear of it. The farm vehicle continued westbound with the Camry wedged underneath the frame, police said.

Williams told investigators that he thought he had blown a tire and didn’t know a vehicle had struck him. Williams pulled into the next open field to check his vehicle and saw the Camry.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,306  
This is sad, and what a macabre find for the poor truck driver.
85 and driving so fast they got embedded under the truck....

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,307  
But of course, they'll be checking his speed and any required rear lights or symbols .....

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,308  
Small vehicles hitting large vehicles really get the worst of it. I think a lot of drivers don't understand that. I was once on a municipal bus that hit a car. Pretty much took the front end off the car. Inside the bus it felt like a bad pothole.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,309  
A motorcyclist got killed here when he attempted to pass a left turning combine.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #14,310  
Too many people don’t pay attention. I’ve had some close calls with a grain truck. You have to drive for yourself and for everybody else, too.