Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,991  
bcp and others, find any videos of them removing the truck and trailer from the bridge? I've seen one removing the driver, but did they rig a hand rope to lower rescuer and then raise them both by hand power? Jon
yes rope rescue is done by hoisting by hand but they have a 3:1 or 5:1 mechanical advantage. In the video you can see them in the right corner pulling on the rope.

1709565703270.png

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,992  
rock, that's what caught my eye. Looking like they were pulling on a rope. Thanks, Jon

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,993  
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,994  
rock, that's what caught my eye. Looking like they were pulling on a rope. Thanks, Jon
From the video BCP shared I can confirm they where using two independent rope system one for each person my guess is 3:1. Probably using a setup like the illustration below which is called MPD (multipurpose device) which has a one way pully and built in friction brake. For rope rescue pulling by hand is the choice because of lift or descend accuracy, communications, controllability, dependability and versality. Every rescue need to have a fail safe (two rope on each person) with a mechanize system it would be a lot of gear. Their setup looks on par with ours.

1709571614912.png

This is the kit we use,
1709572344768.png

Attachments

• 1709571600023.png
    1709571600023.png
    123.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
   / Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,996  
From the video BCP shared I can confirm they where using two independent rope system one for each person my guess is 3:1. Probably using a setup like the illustration below which is called MPD (multipurpose device) which has a one way pully and built in friction brake. For rope rescue pulling by hand is the choice because of lift or descend accuracy, communications, controllability, dependability and versality. Every rescue need to have a fail safe (two rope on each person) with a mechanize system it would be a lot of gear. Their setup looks on par with ours.

View attachment 855639

This is the kit we use,
View attachment 855644
Thank you for the explanation, pictures and diagrams. When the question was first asked I envisioned somebody sneezing, then saying "oops" as the rope went screaming through his hands.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,997  
Thank you for the explanation, pictures and diagrams. When the question was first asked I envisioned somebody sneezing, then saying "oops" as the rope went screaming through his hands.
yeah I simplified it but for rope rescue there is always a fail safe for every component so there is also a brake on one line like for working at heights so a quick acceleration and it engage. Both ropes is cross tied to each person in a way that each person is tied once on both ropes. So lets say there is a red rope and a blue rope, the red rope goes to the rescuer tied up front and the blue for the casualty up front, then their is a alpine butterfly knot on the red rope that goes to the back of the harness to the casualty and a alpine butterfly knot on the blue rope that goes to the back of the harness to the rescuer, so it doesn't matter if one rope fail both person will be safe. Each rope is obviously rated for two person plus safety factor.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,998  
Rockbadchild--a question on rigging. Thanks for your explanation; I have no experience in rigging for live evacuations.

In a different video taken from the bridge deck it appeared that a "fall" line ran from somewhere (fixed?) on the bridge deck to a block (A) at the tip of the right rail of the ladder, then down to a movable block (B) from which the rescuer (and victim) was suspended, then up to a block (C) at the tip of the left rail of the ladder. and thence back to the bridge deck. I assumed this was done to equalize the strain on the falls as there likely is some concern that uneven strain might twist the ladder making retraction of the ladder problematic. It would also give an additional 2:1 advantage and reduce the strain on each part by half. Presumably there is a fast acting brake on movable block B should the fall line fail. As the rescuers haul on one line in bcp's video one can see the two "fall" lines move apart from the camera's perspective.

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #19,999  
I got lucky and found a used tailgate for my truck, the correct color and everything. It was a little scratched up but it buffed out pretty good. Not cheap at about $770 with tax and all. A before and after of one of the scratched up areas.
You really lucked out!

/ Share Pics of People Hauling or Towing Something Wrong #20,000  
Rockbadchild--a question on rigging. Thanks for your explanation; I have no experience in rigging for live evacuations.

In a different video taken from the bridge deck it appeared that a "fall" line ran from somewhere (fixed?) on the bridge deck to a block (A) at the tip of the right rail of the ladder, then down to a movable block (B) from which the rescuer (and victim) was suspended, then up to a block (C) at the tip of the left rail of the ladder. and thence back to the bridge deck. I assumed this was done to equalize the strain on the falls as there likely is some concern that uneven strain might twist the ladder making retraction of the ladder problematic. It would also give an additional 2:1 advantage and reduce the strain on each part by half. Presumably there is a fast acting brake on movable block B should the fall line fail. As the rescuers haul on one line in bcp's video one can see the two "fall" lines move apart from the camera's perspective.
no, I understand its hard to see from the video(s) but it’s two separate line and units …see picture attach you see the two anchor point (pink straps). If one continuous rope is used from the one anchor down to the rescuers back up to the anchor that would mean both person are hanging from one rope without backup if that rope get cut for any reason any where between the anchor and the guys pulling both person fall …as a rescuer no one put the his own life and the life of someone without backup (safe line) and you can see two team pulling on two ropes. Go back to see post 19994 and the attached picture it’s a bit different then their set up because they work with a redirect and not overhead like the picture then check the video again and you see them sliding the prusik knot on the lines that along with a pulley gives them the 3:1 mechanical advantage. They could’ve used 5:1 but no one does that unless you only have one guy to pull. Then read again 19997 i explain how each person is tied on both ropes. There is an interview of the firefighters rescuer and he talks about his rope rescue training if they would’ve done it the way you described it, it would’ve be without training or qualification. Our trainer goes to the USA to get trained likely the same facility as their trainer.

this is a drone footage it’s hard to see but I can tell it was done the way I am describing it because that’s the way I am trained and because I know how it looks and what to look for.

Attachments

• IMG_3080.png
    IMG_3080.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 50
Last edited: