Oil & Fuel Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #21  
JTKub said:
You're right on the money JS. Wally contracts it out to atleast 3 different vendors. Lowest bidder I'm sure. That said, I still wouldn't hesitate to use Super Tech oil. Problem is, I can still get Kendall GT-1 synth blend cheaper at other stores!

Joel

We had started to use the Wally synthetic in my son's car until he got a job at Bumper to Bumper. He discovered can get "Partsmaster" brand synthetic at cost even cheaper than Super Tech. $2.76 a quart his cost. The bottles say manufactured by Ashland so I'm guessing we're buying Valvoline or similar for cheap $$.

I'm looking forward to doing a UOA on the stuff just to see what we have there.

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #22  
Looking at some pictures, it does look like 1997 as Joel stated was the year MTD switched the Cub Cadets to all new designs of their own. Other than the engine Larry, your '95 has the same basic attributes as my 1980 Cub, still posessing the International Harvester "wide frame" design.

Thanks for the heads up on the possible makers of Super-Tech oil. I've been using it for years with no problems to report.

-Fordlords-

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #23  
Cool. That's what I was after :)

-Larry

Fordlords said:
Looking at some pictures, it does look like 1997 as Joel stated was the year MTD switched the Cub Cadets to all new designs of their own. Other than the engine Larry, your '95 has the same basic attributes as my 1980 Cub, still posessing the International Harvester "wide frame" design.

Thanks for the heads up on the possible makers of Super-Tech oil. I've been using it for years with no problems to report.

-Fordlords-

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil
If anyone cares to compare product data sheets with Shell TTF-SB, ExxonMobil has a great site (all the big guys do for that matter). Mash in USA, 15w-40, 15w-50, etc...... Some off the shelfers do look good: http://www.exxonmobil.com/pdssearch/search.asp

Joel

Last edited:
   / Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #26  
YA YA YA! BLA BLA BLA! why does my 2185 owner manual say to use a SG/CD grade 20w50 oil in the tranny? my dealer say's use the drive system plus! that cost a ARM and a LEG? so i said to him it's the same thing He said more or less it a syn! what do you all THINK?

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #27  
It probably is the same thing. It's just that the Cub dealers are going to recommend the Cub Drive System Plus for their customers as they know for sure it's the right thing, rather than tell customers to use something cheaper not knowing exactly what it is the customer is looking at. It's just self protection, because if the dealer came out and said Leo's inboard/outboard and lawnmower 20w50 is cheaper so use it and the customer's transaxle failed, you know darn well who's rear end that customer would be all over.

As your tractor is out of warranty, it will likely be perfectly safe to use an equivalent transaxle oil.

-Fordlords-

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #28  
Actually my dealer does not ever carry the Cub fluid. He recommends Amzoil 20W-50 synthetic instead. When I asked him about warranty coverage, he reminded me that he was the one that would be doing any warranty work and he would cover it.

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil
Oddly enough, Shell who makes Cub Cadet Drive System Fluid Plus (Shell TTF-SB) does not even market/make a 20w-50 oil. As far as I can see , Shell only offers a single grade non synth blend 50wt for 2-stroke diesels. The closest Shell off the shelf I can find is: http://www.shellusserver.com/products/pdf/RotellaTSyntheticBlend.pdf

Joel

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #30  
Last week when I bought this 2185,The Guy told me he runs (john deere Hy -guard ,transmission and hydrlic oil.) It run's fine even better than my 2180.