Oil & Fuel Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #31  
Iwent on john deere page HY_GARD transmission& hydraulic oil is used also with SUNSTRAND transmission and hydros .Was sunstrand used on a lot of mtd cubs,and if not so. then hydro -gear used the same design as sunstrand and if so hy-gard is called fro in sunstrand.what getting at,I would have never had knowen that you could run hy-gard tran- hydr oil in a cub. thats whats in my 2185. and it's fast!

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #32  
My 682 also has the fast now considered "too dangerous" Sunstrand hydro :)

One thing it might not be a good idea to use a synthetic hydro fluid in an older hydro, as synthetic oils are sometimes more leak prone than conventional oil and older seals are more prone to leaks. The fluid in the new Cub hydros is synthetic and that is what they recommend on those units. I don't honestly know how well the newer cast iron Cub hydros stack up to the old Sunstrands, but I do know they can dish out gobs of torque.

-Fordlords-

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #33  
TractorLarry said:
Yes, I understand this.

My question is when did MTD start designing their own instead of using previous CCC designs.

-Larry

MTD's influenence started in the mid to late 80's when the most obvious changes on the garden tractors were the traditional "heavy duty rear ends" were scaled down with less casting for the housings. Aluminum found its way in there later on...

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #34  
So has anbody come to any viable conclusions here? this subject has been beaten to death a few times within the last few years and always with the same outcome - I guess my question is - Did anybody stray from the mfg's sythentic blend, and replace it for whatever suitable subsitute? How successful has it been? Im only talking the 2500 series and 3000 series machines, since the drivetrain is very similair if not the same. With the 3000 series, you have hydrolic outlets for power steering, and attachments to consider. Hytran fluid will not work on these machines, that much Im sure of. But I would like to find an ever better fluid (if it exists) in replacement of the Cub synthetic -
Overall its not even a big deal to buy 6 qrts every couple hundred hours or so of the Cub brand...

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #35  
YES! I save money by using john deere hy-gard -transmission hydrlic oil. in my 2185, I also use a syn 20w 50 in my 2180. all with john deere hydro filter.the older cubs /mtd use a 20 w50 oil that meets or exceeds API SG/CD grades. I have been mowing with this tractor for my lawn business.I have been on some hills. I wore out some wheels.I have put some time in the seat, I have been threw the heat. so speaking about the tranny as it goes and does not slow,I have this to show, you can save money,as far as oil goes!

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #36  
ducati996 said:
So has anbody come to any viable conclusions here? this subject has been beaten to death a few times within the last few years and always with the same outcome - I guess my question is - Did anybody stray from the mfg's sythentic blend, and replace it for whatever suitable subsitute? How successful has it been? Im only talking the 2500 series and 3000 series machines, since the drivetrain is very similair if not the same. With the 3000 series, you have hydrolic outlets for power steering, and attachments to consider. Hytran fluid will not work on these machines, that much Im sure of. But I would like to find an ever better fluid (if it exists) in replacement of the Cub synthetic -
Overall its not even a big deal to buy 6 qrts every couple hundred hours or so of the Cub brand...

I decided if I ever need to change the fluid instead of just topping it up at filter changes, I won't use the Cub oil. Buying a snow blower and using the tractor in the winter is one case where I'm certain I'd change to different lube.

Mobil1 5W-40 would be my choice right now with Rotella 5W-40 as a close second.

/ Shell TTF-SB hydrostatic trans oil #37  
My 1864 (1995) has a pretty stout rear-end and the heavy duty sustrand hydro in it, so they hadn't started to "De-Content" in 1995 yet it would seem.

I was looking to buy a chipper/shredder this weekend. It seems that most of them are built by MTD now too, and I didn't read very good reviews, generally.

Sears seems to have the best one, but it's out of stock everywhere.

-Larry

ducati996 said:
MTD's influenence started in the mid to late 80's when the most obvious changes on the garden tractors were the traditional "heavy duty rear ends" were scaled down with less casting for the housings. Aluminum found its way in there later on...