Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas?

/ Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #71  
Only got the FREE hat after I kept wearing my Caterpillar ball cap every time I went in for something.

Sales VP commented. I said "If I had a Kubota hat, I'd wear it."

He presented one immediately.

Then I started wearing a John Deere hat when I visited.

Sales VP commented. I said "Wife liked & claimed Kubota hat as her "Truck Hat". If I had another Kubota hat, I'd wear it."

He presented another one immediately. I thanked him again!

Next visit, I sent my youngest daughter with a CASE hat.

She received a brand new Kubota hat.

I'm sending her twin sister in next with a BOBCAT hat.

/ Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #72  
Full tank of gas and 2 hats but no dealer stickers.

After the dealer left, I noticed he had left his personal swag baseball style hat on my table.

I hung it on the wall and when I got "buyers remorse" I would look at that hat and think, "well at least I got an extra hat."

/ Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #73  
Mine came with about 1/2 tank, don't remember if there was any marketing swag.

I remember thinking a full tank would have been a nice touch. But much more important in terms of leaving a good impression was that the dealer called me a week or two later, asking how I liked the tractor and whether there was anything I needed advice on operating. He cheerfully answered my questions, jotted down one thing to "check on" when doing the 50 hour service -- and remembered to check on that one thing when that service took place even though I had long forgotten.

He's also given me pretty good advice on implements/attachments, including what I shouldn't buy from him since I could get it much cheaper online. He was right.

Bottom line is that I like that a dealer shows he's thinking about the customer and their needs, not just "ok, sale completed". A full tank of fuel is one low-effort way of demonstrating that, and is appreciated. But there are other more important ways.

Last edited:
   / Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #74  
First Kioti from local dealer came with full tank and was SUPPPOSED to come with a nice orange badged hat that matched my tractor... instead I got a camouflage New Holland hat! I lost that hat so guess it must have been really good camo! Second tractor shipped from out of state also came with full tank of fuel plus two dealer hats and a full bag of merch - including a dealer t-shirt, some dealer key chains with fancy orange carabiners and also came with a couple of cheap dealer tumblers that were cool until the first time one fell directly on the straw and it punched right through the bottom of the cup... gona miss that cup. But... I never did get any merch that actually said Kioti on it. The hats and merch had nothing to do with my purchasing decision though - that was all based on pricing and inventory.

/ Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #75  
When your dealer dropped off your tractor, did it have a full tank of gas?

Did you get a hat, or anything else?

Did those decisions change/influence your perception of your dealer?
It was delivered with a full tank. While At the dealer doing final walk around I was offered my choice of hats. Then later received cookies and coffee cups in the mail.

Attachments

• 69AC0D5C-FC0E-410F-8201-285F729E2D41.jpeg
    69AC0D5C-FC0E-410F-8201-285F729E2D41.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 64
  • A5BDB496-1294-4676-A97B-14921E9E0C65.jpeg
    A5BDB496-1294-4676-A97B-14921E9E0C65.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 62
   / Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #76  
My John Deere came with 3/4 tank fuel. The delivery driver said I was lucky. The kid doing the fueling wasn't paying attention and went past the usual 1/2. No hat.

By contrast, years ago I bought a Kubota B7500. Came with full tank, 2 hats and most of all free 50 hr service.

Quite a difference from the Deere salesman that seemed to think he was doing me a favor to sell me the tractor.

/ Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #77  
Full tank of fuel, hat, shirt, jacket and a can of chassis color paint for any marks left from the chain binders when delivered.

/ Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #78  
When your dealer dropped off your tractor, did it have a full tank of gas?

Did you get a hat, or anything else?

Did those decisions change/influence your perception of your dealer?
No and i wasn't expecting anything. It did’t hirt my feelings. It is later when/if I have issues that dealer character is important…

/ Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #79  
I got hoodies for my wife and me, medium weight jackets for both, and a heavyweight winter work jacket plus caps and winter stocking caps for both. My closet is stuffed with Kubota clothing - hoodies, jackets of different weights, and tons of caps. But probably cost the dealer a fraction of 1% of what I have spent there. The ones using DEF were always full but I can't remember about diesel tanks.

/ Should a new tractor come with a full tank of gas? #80  
When I bought my tractor used, it came with a full tank, though that was only 3.5 gal (tiny tractor). But it was appreciated, as it was my first diesel engine, and I was not set up at the time for diesel fuel. The next trip to the dealer, they offered me 1/2 off a diesel can, which was much appreciated.

However, for cars, I have never bought one (new or used) that did not come with a full tank. My dad was a car salesman for most of his life, and every car that he sold/delivered always had a full tank. Customers appreciate, remember, and tell others about that.

Like others have said, while it may cost a bit up front, the pay back in free word of mouth advertising by happy customers is priceless.