Should I Cover My New Tractor..???

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #21  
Pushing_Tin said:
A neighbor has a large unused barn, but I've only talked to them twice, the second time he told us we just ripped out his fence! I'd love to keep it there, and maybe pay him a monthly fee, but I was debating whether it's weird to ask such a thing when I don't really know him. :confused:

Mending fences...that's what neighbors is for right:D

Ask him...that'll get ya acquainted:rolleyes:

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #22  
I would put up a small pole barn first & then work on the house. You will have lots of stuff delivered for the unfinished house which you will want to protect/secure. You can also have your electric service run to the barn & trench underground to the house. Then you don't have the ugly overhead wires attached to the house. You're gonna want a barn eventually so why not just put it up now?

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #23  
stevevdw said:
I would put up a small pole barn first & then work on the house. You will have lots of stuff delivered for the unfinished house which you will want to protect/secure. You can also have your electric service run to the barn & trench underground to the house. Then you don't have the ugly overhead wires attached to the house. You're gonna want a barn eventually so why not just put it up now?
Pushing_Tin, that makes a lot of sense, especially considering you live in the Eugene area. You'd better hurry, though, if you want to keep that shiny new tractor dry. October 15th is almost here, and you probably won't see the sun again until mid June.

:D:D:D

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #24  
stevevdw said:
I would put up a small pole barn first & then work on the house. You will have lots of stuff delivered for the unfinished house which you will want to protect/secure.

That's a good point.

As far as security, get good insurance. I used to do things like turning the fuel cut off to off, or leaving the PTO on (which prevents it from starting), etc. But my tractor stays too far out in the country for someone to drive off with it and if they are determined enough to bring a trailer and tear down my gate, then they are going to get it no matter what you do. So I've given up. I take the key out and keep it out of sight of the highway. And I have theft and vandalism insurance.

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..???
Thanks for the input guys, what insurance group to you use? I have USAA and they want about $250 a year to cover the tractor, seems awfully high to me!

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #26  
Pushing_Tin said:
Thanks for the input guys, what insurance group to you use? I have USAA and they want about $250 a year to cover the tractor, seems awfully high to me!
10% of value per annum for equipment loss on our farm policy here. Liability is included in the base farm policy. I didn't buy any loss coverage for the tractors. I'm self insured on them.

Homeowners insurance often covers non-commercial and non-farm tractors at no charge. Don't know about renters insurance though.

Last edited:
   / Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #27  
Pushing_Tin said:

I have my homeowners (and auto) policy through USAA and they cover the tractor at no additional charge. This covers theft, fire, vandalism and natural disasters (but not flooding). It only covers the tractor for use on my property and does not cover it at all for damages occuring while towing the tractor. There may be some liability coverage but I'm not sure.

USAA would not provide coverage for any of the exceptions listed above at any price. I'm not sure what they are offering to cover for your additional $250, but I'm very curious to know. If they do provide towing coverage and coverage off of your property, in addition to the basic stuff, then $250 isn't bad. But they told me that outside of basic homeowner's coverage that they did not offer 'tractor' insurance. They offered no 'inland marine' coverage and acted like they did not know what it was.

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #28  
I would ask your neighbor about storing it in his barn. I live in a rural area and all of us around here are more then willing to help each other out. I'm sure it's no different where you live. If not the barn then I would most certainly cover it somehow.

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #29  
Speak to the neighbour, after all you will be living next to him when the house is complete, he may let you store it if he has the space. At any rate use the chain, make it as difficult as possible for someone to take.

/ Should I Cover My New Tractor..??? #30  
Afternoon Pushin_Tin,
Im on board with 3RRL and some of the others, I keep my Massey up at my Uncle Daves' barn when Im not around !Its only about 3/4 mi up the road. Of course I have to haul and split some firewood in rent return, but heck he has an unlimited beer supply !!! ;) He even has a beer frig out in the barn !!! :) Id ask the neighbor, never be too proud son ! ;)