Should I even think about 2 wheel drive

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #1  

cmyoung2

Gold Member
Tractor
BCS 850, Kubota BX2230 w/FEL, mid mount mower, 41" tiller Kubota L3600 w/4-1FEL, Farmi winch
Thinking about a slightly larger tractor than my BX2230, mainly to pull logs, power a chipper and maybe bushhogging. Limited budget of course. Looking at some 40-50 hp tractors like a Massey 150, but the two things that concern me are- one-our terrain is fairly steep, as in for a lot of it I back the BX up the hill and mow down, just not comfortable turning around on top, and the top is not that steep.I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure. And two, will the 2wd have enough traction. I do plan on a winch in the future, so traction may not be an issue. Most of the trees I am harvesting are 22"+, so a 16' log is around a ton. Not going to hook that to the BX going down hill, even with chains and filled tires. SO, am I crazy even looking at 2wd, or try to talk my wife into spending 2-3x for a 4x4(going to be a hard sale. I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other ideas.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #2  
Personally, I would only use a 2wd tractor on flat terrain. Just because grandpa had no option, it is not worth the risk, to me. You get that heavier tractor and a log going downhill out of control, you will want every option available to get back under control...or hopefully not lose control in the first place.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #5  
With an ag tractor, you are not crazy, but you better get one TWO sizes bigger than you planned to make up for the difference!

Also, plan on putting weights on a 2wd tractor, where a MFWD tractor is already heavier in the front.

I would NOT buy a 2wd compact tractor!

SR

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive
The Massey 150 is bigger than the 135 I'm use to, will have ballast in the rear tires, weighs 5-6000. Hopefully it will have loader sometime in the future. Probably 16' logs will be the max, that's all my sawmill can handle. More concerned about stability than anything.I'm looking at what I would call a small to medium size, 35-50 hp. The BX2230 takes care of the small stuff. Just started looking, still deciding.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #7  
The Massey 150 is bigger than the 135 I'm use to, will have ballast in the rear tires, weighs 5-6000. Hopefully it will have loader sometime in the future. Probably 16' logs will be the max, that's all my sawmill can handle. More concerned about stability than anything.I'm looking at what I would call a small to medium size, 35-50 hp. The BX2230 takes care of the small stuff. Just started looking, still deciding.
2WD or 4WD stability will be the same.

I have three 2WD tractors and 1 4WD tractor. PULLING and stability is a function of tractor size. Weights can be placed front , rear or sidewise.
General utility , when the front end is waving and wagging in the air, 4WD is of no benefit ;-)
Getting out of crap situations?, 4WD and locking diffs win every time!

N.B. The 4WD tractor has a locking FRONT diff. Freaking thing climbs like a billy goat!

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #8  
You will never utter the words “I wish I had bought the 2wd instead of the 4wd”. I bought a 4wd a few years back and have used that feature more than I thought. Don’t short yourself.

/ Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #9  
PULLING and stability are a function of tractor size.

1) PULLING

Tractor capability is more closely correlated to tractor WEIGHT than any other single (1) specification.

2) STABILITY

The small wheels and tires on a subcompact tractor result in low ground clearance, usually 7" to 9", therefore a low center of gravity.

Thinking about a larger tractor than my subcompact BX2230.
I think the larger tractor may be more stable but I'm not sure.
I have been around tractors a lot, but would value other opinions.

It is unlikely any TPH tractor with 12" to 14" of ground clearance will feel more stable to the OP than a subcompact tractor with 7" to 9" of ground clearance. A few TPH tractors with 12" of ground clearance, wide spaced rear wheels and 50% liquid filled tires may approximate the stability of subcompacts, but only a few.

Compact tractor instability relative to subcompact tractors is exacerbated by the heavier Loaders and (usually) greater lift height equipping contemporary compact tractors and by chair height seat in most compact tractors, positioning the operator's head (inner ear) higher above the ground.

If the TPH can be dropped from the equation, a Ventrac or Power Trac will compete for a stable feel relative to a subcompact TPH tractor, primarily because of the four or eight relatively small wheels and tires, again resulting in a lower center of gravity. Good stability, good PUSHING capability with these 'tractors', not much PULLING capability.

Last edited:
   / Should I even think about 2 wheel drive #10  
I prefer 4wd but rest assured there are plenty of 2wd tractors out there doing the work very safely.