Should I paint my used utility trailer??

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #1  

denverdave66

Silver Member
Tractor
2012 John Deere 1016, FEL, 60"MMM
I just bought a 5x10 utility trailer for $500, it really needs a coat of paint on it, I know its silly to paint it cause I will be hauling dirt, brush and who knows what else on it but I want it to look nice but don't want to spend a ton of money on it. If I just use a wire drill brush on it then repaint it with Rustoleum gloss black will that hold or do I need to primer it first? My buddy told me he wouldn't waste his time to paint if cause it will flake off, what's everyone's thoughts on painting? I just bought 2 brand new tires and white spoke wheels so thought they might look funny if I don't paint it too.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #2  
If you aren't willing to invest the time to clean off all the old rust and put on a good primer, then forget the paint. Your buddy is right, it will just flake off if not properly prepared.
If you really want it to look good, have it abrasive blasted and then paint it including underneath.

I hate to be bearer of bad news but aside from the paint, I think you paid way too much for a used 5x10 trailer in need of paint AND new tires and rims. That is about half the cost of a brand new one with new tires. With 2 new tires @ $100 each +or- + the rim cost (assuming good trailer tires) You already have about the cost of a new trailer invested without adding paint to it.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer??
2 new 6 ply tires I bought today with rims was only $125. The tires had over 1/2 the tread but I wanted a spare and at that price I just bought 2.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #4  
I pressure washed this one and then brushed on a coat of Rustoleum.
Then I rolled a coat of used motor oil on the deck boards.
People keep asking me if I want to sell it. ?????

Attachments

• trailer.jpg
    trailer.jpg
    712.6 KB · Views: 2,467
I will prolly not mess with the paint, I only have $625 in it now. I looked at new ones and they wanted at least $1,000 or more for a new one. I won't be using it that much I have a brand new 16' tandem axle brakes on both axles Doolittle trailer I use too.

Stimw, that looks good, you only power washed it? No primer or metal brush? So tell me why you put used motor oil on the boards? Never heard of that.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #7  
If you wire brush it, then put primer on and then the rust paint. I wouldn't go with a gloss paint as it will show any little imperfection. Just a regular flat paint will do.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #8  
I have to agree with the flat paint.
If you wire brush it, then put primer on and then the rust paint. I wouldn't go with a gloss paint as it will show any little imperfection. Just a regular flat paint will do.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #9  
If you aren't willing to invest the time to clean off all the old rust and put on a good primer, then forget the paint. Your buddy is right, it will just flake off if not properly prepared.
If you really want it to look good, have it abrasive blasted and then paint it including underneath.

I hate to be bearer of bad news but aside from the paint, I think you paid way too much for a used 5x10 trailer in need of paint AND new tires and rims. That is about half the cost of a brand new one with new tires. With 2 new tires @ $100 each +or- + the rim cost (assuming good trailer tires) You already have about the cost of a new trailer invested without adding paint to it.
Gary is spot on with the sand blasting. No question the best way to prep it to get high surface energy for adhesion, then prime and paint.

/ Should I paint my used utility trailer?? #10  
Sand blasting is no doubt the best. You can also get a wire wheel for your angle grinder, wire wheel it, then use rust oleum in the hammer tone. It will cover up the imperfections. LUTT