• No vote, let the site owners make the rules

Votes: 106 86.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Should the community make the rules? #51  
I have seen this fail both ways.

Create ONE area where anything goes.

We do build acquaintances if not friendships here and that is what drives us back as we have learned who we trust vs. who to ignore.

You guys have to deal with this. Consider adding a couple more moderators if it is overloading you, then trust your instincts and follow your own rules.
You will lose some traffic either way but being consistent and having a playground for other topics might help. Good luck and thanks for providing this forum.

This site owner has created another site where you can speak your mind freely on whatever subject.

A lot of the members here know about it, but don't use it.

/ Should the community make the rules? #52  
Please do not have the moderators tell us to go to TNT. That site is a cesspool and is a good example of failure. The treads here are very informative and it is a big job for the moderators to keep politics out of it. It is not necessary to shut down ALL discussion on a subject and eliminate post that are not political.

/ Should the community make the rules?
Please do not have the moderators tell us to go to TNT. That site is a cesspool and is a good example of failure. The treads here are very informative and it is a big job for the moderators to keep politics out of it. It is not necessary to shut down ALL discussion on a subject and eliminate post that are not political.

So, more moderators needed?

/ Should the community make the rules? #54  
I voted no. Your site, you run it the way you want.

As previously noted, though, I think it would be nice to let violators know what they did wrong, rather than just removing a post with no explanation ... especially just after a new rules change.

/ Should the community make the rules? #56  
So, more moderators needed?
How many now?

Personally, I don't think more mods are necessary, and definitely no "Anything Goes" forum
We know the rules....no politics, be respectful of other's points of view (remember the old old "Gear vs. Hydro" debates years ago?).

If folks want to argue, use the TNT forum.
txdon wrote (post#52) "That site is a cesspool and is a good example of failure" (referring to TNT). I don't know, never viewed the forum.
But the question is, do we want TBN devolve into the same cesspool?

/ Should the community make the rules? #57  
Do you think we should allow the TBN members make the rules by way of proposing and voting on rules?

Over the years we've tried our best to make rules in the best interest of the community. Doing anything else would be counter-productive. But, maybe it's time for a new way of deciding the community rules.
I've been a member for quite a few years. I believe the owner / administrators should be the only ones to make the rules. I read a lot, but not all of the threads posted. If I have something to contribute I reply, if not I move on. We don't need to be confrontational.

I do believe if a post is edited or deleted the poster should be notified. I don't think any of my posts have been edited or deleted. If they have I was never notified. This is a great forum to which I feel I have contributed many posts to try and help others.

My thoughts are to add more moderators, notify individuals who violate the rules, posters should follow the rules, and keep things as they are.

I too will miss James who has contributed a lot to this forum.

/ Should the community make the rules? #59  
No, but allowances need to be made for some topics that effect our daily lives.

There were a couple posts removed recently that made me stop posting for a few days. I want to see TBN stay family friendly. There are plenty of other unregulated sites where people can go at each other.

1. One removed post was by a member who’s been posting the local COVID numbers forever, and suddenly it became against the rules, unbeknownst to any of us at the time. Nobody was arguing over it. Wham, his post was gone and everyone was trying to figure out why.

2. Another member was describing his COVID experiences, which a lot of us find very enlightening. his thread was locked and he was told to take it elsewhere in a rather abrupt way. Again, at the time no one knew why, and couldn’t even ask as the thread got locked.

3. Quoting a scripture in a signature is not discussing religion.

Since the updated rules, I still see the same people attacking other members, yet nothing seems to get done about them.

There have been some jokes in the joke threads that deserve to get pruned. Again it’s the same suspects.

I moderate a FB picture page, and I have rules like no bad language, no soliciting from other members, etc. I occasionally get someone who violates the rules and I drop them from the site.

/ Should the community make the rules? #60  
I voted no.

You've done a good job. I don't always agree with something but, I didn't always agree with my parents either (forget I could probably be your parent lol)

I think this site is a rare gem in the world with a plethora of different people, life experiences, different expertise's all coming to a single location. The breadth of knowledge and experience on "all things" in life is in my mind, unique and pretty awesome.

Now.... put another choice on your poll..... "how much would you be willing to pay for a membership AND THEN have the ability to create the rules?"

I wonder how many people would then actually pay up. It's easy to be a critic when nobody (other than you really) has a stick in this fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.