• Yes, community members should vote to decide the rules

Votes: 16 13.1%
  • No vote, let the site owners make the rules

Votes: 106 86.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Should the community make the rules? #101  
One improvement that could improve the members' experience and also improve TBN's attractiveness to others:

Obviously when a post is deleted, or there's a ban, some moderator has thought about it a little. I think a PM should be sent to the poster with a brief explanation.

This should help steer that poster back into conformity with Mohammad's site rules.

This is called 'feedback' in some areas, used to keep something on the intended course.
Would a quick post from the moderator stating, post 118 deleted, rule 4 be enough?
You know who did it if you think it really makes no sense.
It has to be really easy and quick or it becomes a mind-numbing task.

/ Should the community make the rules? #102  
I cannot believe the vote so far. I am actually on the side of the admin with the rules as they are. But the man is asking if we want a say! Why would we not want that? Do we not trust ourselves?

Admin, management, entrepreneurs, etc. do not want their azzzezs kizzzzd. They want smart, respectful, engaged, followers willing to help. Am i wrong?

/ Should the community make the rules? #103  
I cannot believe the vote so far. I am actually on the side of the admin with the rules as they are. But the man is asking if we want a say! Why would we not want that? Do we not trust ourselves?

Admin, management, entrepreneurs, etc. do not want their azzzezs kizzzzd. They want smart, respectful, engaged, followers willing to help. Am i wrong?
The problem would be more debating and more division. It is not that any of us are not committed to the success of this site.

I think the less rules we have the better things are. With just the admin creating the rules while considering the members needs that is what we will and do have. Some people love rules and you will end up with many more great members leaving. Just in the last few days we have seen suggestions like only tractor talk allowed. That would be a bad move no doubt about it.

The main rule we could have that would make a big difference could also be considered religious. It simply is to treat others as you would like to be treated. All problems drift away with that type of mindset.

/ Should the community make the rules? #104  
I think the people who pay the bills make the rules however there are two additional points to add.

When it becomes apparent a significant number of users disagree with a rule as enforced, take the initiative to find out why. Take a pole, make a change if warranted, but let everyone know what’s happening.

The other big one is NEVER remove a post without an explanation for both the poster and others. I’ve rarely had anything removed but had a mod on another site get very indignant once because I reposted something several times he kept removing without telling me it was removed or why. I assumed it was an issue posting and reposted.

/ Should the community make the rules? #105  
Would a quick post from the moderator stating, post 118 deleted, rule 4 be enough?
You know who did it if you think it really makes no sense.
It has to be really easy and quick or it becomes a mind-numbing task.
A feedback PM to the poster doesn't have to be that complex. Just a single sentence. 'Don't mention [some controversial issue]'.

If the moderator has chosen to take action on a Report then he surely has an opinion - that he he can provide.

/ Should the community make the rules? #106  
I see a number of posts here proposing/requesting that moderators "explain" or "notify" deletions. It's not practical. As a moderator elsewhere, I'll delete a few non compliant posts most days (and probably miss more). I am already doing moderation for free, so I'm not interested in preparing a five minute email justifying my reasons per deleted post - too much time! Even if I would spend the time, I certainly do not want a resulting back and forth argument about my decision. So that forum has a very certain "do not justify moderation" policy. Do what you need to do, and move on. The poster may consider their deleted post in retrospect, and will probably figure out what they should not have said.

Think of this (or any forum you choose) as a club you chose to join. You chose it because you believe it offers an environment which makes you feel welcomed. A part of that is that it is tidy. Hired staff keep the place neat. You like neat, so you pay dues for it, and the hired staff who "moderate" the mess are paid. Well, on the two pilot forums I moderate, I'm not paid, and I bring 45 years piloting experience to my moderating, so it's kinda high priced help - for no price. Moderators are typically quite experienced in the role, so, asking them to do more, may be asking too much.

Hotel lobby rules: Don't post anything you don't feel should be said out loud in a crowded hotel lobby, where anyone could overhear.....

/ Should the community make the rules? #107  
Pretty sure lots of posters who have a post deleted would whine openly about the moderators reason for the deletion. This is a great site, and I am not aware about any deleted post that was specifically about tractors. 🚜

/ Should the community make the rules? #108  
Not seeing where to vote on ipad, but would vote No. your site, your rules, but be careful not to be go to extremes. We all should be civil.

/ Should the community make the rules? #109  
I voted no.

When "good" members leave, as some have, the owner of the site knows there is something wrong. It is his responsibility to manage it...not ours.

I am on a shooting forum where I spend more time. Some of the best "stickies" and threads are from "good" people who have been banned or left on their own. That site has deteriorated in content. New members do not see it, but the "old timers" know. It could happen here as well.

I disagree with those who think this site is "perfect". When people like James and Old Path have to leave, something is not quite right.

Status
Not open for further replies.