Mowing Sickle Bar Mower - needs?

/ Sickle Bar Mower - needs? #1  

quid_non

Greetings All!
Considering the purchase of a sickle bar mower for my JD4600. Will be using it to clear around roadways and pond areas with steep grades. Considering a 51/2 foot unit with a hydraulic lift. What additional hydraulic "stuff" do I need to operate there units - my tractor has rear quick disconnects/power reverser for a backhoe but no levers to control the flow to the sickle bar mower. Any suggestions on a good mower and other items I would need for the hydraulic attachment?
Thanks!!

/ Sickle Bar Mower - needs? #2  
Maybe time to add the 3rd SCV to your tractor. A search should turn up some threads that discuss the process.. used to be kits available, and your Deere dealer may have such info if they are.

As to sickle bar mower, I think going long as possible better than the 5-1/2 foot one. Tractor I'd think would have enough weight to handle a 7' sickle bar to reach down banks and stay back from pond.

See that there is a Deere Frontier mower SB31 Series. Not sure of bar lengths available..

Mowing | Frontier™ SB31 Series Sickle Bar Mower | John Deere US

/ Sickle Bar Mower - needs?
Thanks for the reply and info beenthere!
I'm new to this but my 4600 currently has:
FEL
4in1 bucket (operated by a JR Long unit - switch for bucket located on joy stick)
Power Beyond for 48 backhoe.

All said - then does that indicate I already have 3 SCVs and need a fourth?

As I mentioned - I want to get a sickle mower that is operated via the 3pt attachment and a separate scv to allow the up/down adjustment for the sickle blades

Any help/clarification would be appreciated
Thanks

/ Sickle Bar Mower - needs? #4  
Doesn't the mower run off the PTO?

Then you should only need one remote to run the hydraulic lift cylinder on it and you say you already have more than one..

SR

/ Sickle Bar Mower - needs? #5  
Have you ever seen a sickle bar mower in fel? There is a brand made to bolt onto the bucket. Gives you options 3 pth never could imagine. Of course not saying what you want or could use. Should find them on youtube I would think.

Thanks Rob - yes the mower runs off PTO but you control the height/angle of the cutting arm using the hydraulics.

Interesting! Thanks I' ll look for one

/ Sickle Bar Mower - needs? #8  
I believe if you disconnect the quick attach hoses on the rear of the tractor and connect the sickle bar mower your joystick toggle will control the mower. Try disconnecting them and see f the 4in1 bucket operates. If not, then that is your circuit to operate the sickle hydraulics.

Edit: Just noticed that rear remotes are for backhoe. The above might not work. Find the connections for the 4in1 and plug the sickle into them. Then the toggle on the joystick will operate the sickle.

/ Sickle Bar Mower - needs? #9  
I believe if you disconnect the quick attach hoses on the rear of the tractor and connect the sickle bar mower your joystick toggle will control the mower. Try disconnecting them and see f the 4in1 bucket operates. If not, then that is your circuit to operate the sickle hydraulics.

Edit: Just noticed that rear remotes are for backhoe. The above might not work. Find the connections for the 4in1 and plug the sickle into them. Then the toggle on the joystick will operate the sickle.

Here's a photo of my Allis Chalmers 80T 7-ft sicklebar mower that has an hydraulic lift and is PTO-driven. "T" means it's a trailed or towed mower that's attached to the drawbar, not to the 3-point hitch. Paid $125 for it, towed it home, and fixed it up (new belt, new blades). I have triple rear hydraulic remotes on my Mahindra 5525 and just connect the mower to one feed/return pair. If you have a small cut (25 hp or so), a trailed mower might be a better choice than one that hangs on the 3-point hitch.

AC 80T--2.JPG

Good luck.

/ Sickle Bar Mower - needs? #10  
Never buy a trailered unit. They are a PITA to maneuver. You wil have downed a lots of grass with your tractor before you get that stubborn beast in a corner. Handling a donkey might be way easier.
As for your hydraulic question, are you planning to leave the loader on tractor while mowing? I would take it off for visibility reasons and you have your needed hydraulics right there. You only need to run one hose to the mower. It's hydraulic lift and gravity down.