sickle sections

/ sickle sections #1  

kidr

Gold Member
I need to change sickle sections on my haybine.I see there are under or over serrated blades. which do you use under what conditions?

/ sickle sections #2  
I prefer the overserrated sections because there is less wear on the guard ledger surface. That means the guards last longer. Supposedly the underserated knives give a better cut in grasses with less horsepower needed, but I stopped using the horse and mule a LONG time ago. You can use non-serrated sections just as well if the field has rocks in it that you are growing in addition to the hay. Underserrated sections are supposedly more easily sharpend because the cutting surface is continuous, but I don't sharpen, I replace. Switching over to bolts from rivets encourages fast knife replacement.

The fact is, I buy whatever is cheapest of the on sale or opened package (missing content) stuff at TSC. I carry a spare cutter bar within the mower cross frame tube so changing is done fast when necessary.

While you are at it (presume its maintenance time), check the belts, hold down clips, reel tines, tire pressures and sickle drive bushing. You can still buy last year's parts at last years prices instead of waiting until June 1st...

/ sickle sections #3  
Under serrated are much better for fine stems (like grass hay) on a sickle bar. As well you can sharpen the sickles a bit.

I suspct on a haybine it doesn't matter as much?

--->Paul

/ sickle sections #4  
IIRC my mower ops manual talks about when to use under/over/non serrated sections which is crop/application dependent. Mine came w/ over and thats what I use which seems to work really well.

/ sickle sections #5  
I use the SCH cutterbar system from S.I. Distributing Co. Every other section is turned up side down. This system works very well, in fact in over thiry years of mowing hay is the best money I have ever spent on Hay Equipment. The design also while costing more to start with is more economical over the long haul. Because when you finally have to replace all the sections you just put them all on opposite from the one that came off in that position and you have a new cutting surface on the guard as the guards have a upper and lower cutting surface. As for how well they will cut I talked to a man that bought a new combine with a thirty foot header and took the factory sickle and guards off and replaced them with this system before he ever went to the field.

/ sickle sections #6  
Ive been thinking seriously about converting my mower to SCH parts. What sort of mower did you convert?

/ sickle sections #7  
I converted a 2170 Gehl Mower Conditioner and will convert a 451 new Holland sickle mower this spring. both the machines are a 9 ft. cut.

/ sickle sections #8  
Was the conversion straight forward? Was it a simple as popping the old parts off and bolting the new ones on or was there fitting to be done?

/ sickle sections #9  
The conversion was pretty much straight foward, only problem that I had was the new knife head they sent where you screw your tie rod in had 14 threads per inch instead of the 18 threads per inch that my machine had. I called the company and they sent another within three days. Other than that it took about three hours to completley install.

/ sickle sections #10  
I use New Holland top serrated 67631 sections in my Haybine. They last fairly long and you don't have to sharpen them.