Side Discharge Finish Mower?

/ Side Discharge Finish Mower? #1  

TractorGuy

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 4310 CUT, Ford New Holland 575E Industrial Backhoe, John Deere F725 Front Mount Mower
Why would anyone make or want one?

My finish mower is rear discharge and I can't imagine why you would want a side discharge model.

/ Side Discharge Finish Mower? #2  
For pull mowers, sure. Kind of a PITA for underbelly and front mowers, especially in dustier areas.

/ Side Discharge Finish Mower? #3  
I've had 4 side discharge decks (one MMM and 3 RFM's) and 2 rear discharge (both RFM's). I prefer the latter, but could live with either.

The only bothersome thing I've had with the side discharge decks was not being able to mow in any direction. Mowing next to mulched areas had to be done in only one direction to prevent blowing clipping onto the mulch. The mowing pattern elsewhere needed to be planned so the clippings didn't end up getting piled up.

On the other hand, the side discharge aided in "raking" leaves in the Fall.

/ Side Discharge Finish Mower? #4  
I have only used 3ph side discharge finish mower. Wondering if you can cut in reverse for any length of time with a rear discharge? Sometimes I have to back in and out of areas and the side discharge still throws out grass with no problem cutting in reverse.

Last edited:
   / Side Discharge Finish Mower?
I have no problem backing up with my rear discharge mower even in heavy grass. Sometimes it cuts even better since you run over it twice.