Sidehills with a cab vs without

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Sidehills with a cab vs without #21  
I am an experienced tractor operator and I use my machines to mow 3/1 slope which I mow on the sidehill and not up and down.

I am hoping you mean a "1/3 slope" not "3/1" (see chart below). If not, you have my respect, sir!
Grades.png

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #22  
Interesting chart. I don't understand the measurement. Like 1/3 of what? Why not just go by degrees?

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #23  
I believe that it is the same measurement of length whether it be inches feet miles millimeters or what ever 1 inch of fall in 3 inches of run, or 1 foot fall in 3 foot of run, 1 in 1 would be 45 degrees or 100% slope

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #24  
Is it a case of it being easier to determine slope with a level and ruler?

Are these the same measurements seen on the sides of steam engines?

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #25  
Interesting chart. I don't understand the measurement. Like 1/3 of what? Why not just go by degrees?

Yeah for us "not math geniuses" it can be confusing. This chart offers three different ways to "name" the same slope:

Degrees are just like on a protractor, or if you're a carpenter: "flat" is 0 degrees, "halfway up" is 45 degrees, and perpendicular to the ground is 90 degrees
1 in 10 means for every 10 feet you travel, the ground rises 1 foot. "1/3" or 1 in 3, means for every 3 feet it rises one foot. "3/1" means for every 1 foot you travel the ground rises 3 feet; steep!!!
Percent is just the "1 in 10" or whatever expressed as a percentage. 1 is 10 percent of 10.

Took me a while to figure this out, and I hope I have it right. :) Agree, why not just pick one system!

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #26  
Thanks. Why not just percent of 90? That to me would make more sense. 100 percent is straight up, shear wall.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #27  
Thanks. Why not just percent of 90? That to me would make more sense. 100 percent is straight up, shear wall.

Yeah, that seems more logical to me too. You can NOT get any steeper than 90 degrees, so that should be a 100% slope!

Last edited:
   / Sidehills with a cab vs without #28  
I just purchased a t4.75 New Holland cab and a 10 foot Titan bush hog. The tractor weighs 8700# with loaded rears and FEL sans bucket. The previous owner farmed with it mostly making hay. The rears are set out as wide as possible. Half the rear tires are outside the fender. It is around 90". Very stable on side hills. My 4610SU rears were set out to their widest point. The 75 is just as stable in my experience running both. Don't think the cab is that big of a deal with the weight and wide stance.

Last edited:
   / Sidehills with a cab vs without #29  
1/3 is rise over run, same as tangent of the angle...so arctan .33333, or 18.43 degrees (.322 radians). Roof pitches are done the same way. I prefer degrees over percent or pitch (ratio); just my personal visualization bias.

I'm sure the cab raises the COG a bit, but I don't think it raises it as much as it LOOKS like it does. On a larger tractor, the cab adds considerably less than 10% to the weight and, as a previous poster pointed out, a considerable portion of the added weight is located down in the engine compartment. Except for the glass, most of the high stuff is plastic, electronics and air space.

/ Sidehills with a cab vs without #30  
I'd get rear tires like the one on my 1964 MF135 diesel---18.4 x 16 (16" dia rims) and load them with whatever fluid is appropriate for your winter climate.

MF135 stump1 (1).JPGMF135 stump2.JPG

Good luck and be careful out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.