Single acting cylinder to JD 4520

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520 #1  

greasemonkeyok

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD cut
Please pardon my extreme ignorance, as I have little hydraulic plumbing experience. The tractor is a JD 4520 CUT with standard factory connectors for the FEL, but no rear hydraulic connectors (that I can find).

I need to connect a single-acting toplink cylinder (on a cement mixer running on the 3pt PTO). The tractor end of the hose will connect to a 1/2" - 14 NPT standard hydraulic quick coupler tip.

Is it possible to run a hose from one or more of the FEL connectors (the on the right side of engine) to drive the toplink cylinder? I guess the FEL cylinders are all dual action?

A second question, can this be accomplished by installing a kit to establish connectors at the rear of the tractor?

I have read through many of the posts here, and they all seem very helpful - except I need a guide for the abbreviations.

Thanks
Greasemonkeyok

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520 #2  
Welcome to the forum
You can add the 3rd SCV (kit) to your tractor and get the dual connectors at the rear.

Also, you can connect to one of the 4 connectors used by the FEL (disabling that function of the FEL). Coupler tip may not be the correct one, but Deere can get you the right one.

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520 #3  
Welcome to TBN:D

As BT wrote, you can get a kit to add rear remote to your machine-you actually already have the valve, but the kit includes the lever, hardlines and hardware to make it work.

You can also use the front remote from your loader...and a SA (single acting) cylinder will work by just plugging the one hose in and leaving the other port open.

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520
Thanks for the quick reply.

Is the 3rd SCV Kit aftermarket or JD, and does it come with detailed instructions? I'm not afraid to tackle mechanical tasks if the risks and danger points are known.

Thanks

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520 #5  
Thanks for the quick reply.

Is the 3rd SCV Kit aftermarket or JD, and does it come with detailed instructions? I'm not afraid to tackle mechanical tasks if the risks and danger points are known.

Thanks

It is a JD kit, call your dealer to get a price...the one for the 3x20 series is a little under $300, not sure on the 4x20's. You can do it yourself...

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520
This is great.

Thanks for the help.

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520 #7  
And SCV stands for Selective Control Valve.

Any other abbreviations? :)

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520 #8  
Don't bother with the 3rd outlet kit unless you need the full services of the loader and the mixer at the same time. I have a 1/3 yard mixer for my tractor and it is handy, but I only use it for a few days every few years or so. You can buy a male connector to plug into the female side of the the loader bucket pressure line (Just experiment to find out which one). Stick this on a 6' hose to the mixer connector, or just run a full length of hose and male connector to the cylinder directly. That's all it takes.

Cement is fun stuff to make and run into forms or walkways, BUT IT is VERY HEAVY when you are travelling with it on the fly. For that reason, I recommend leaving the loader on the tractor and filling the bucket with "stuff" before you start adding water to the mixer. Even with 160# of extra front weights on the weight bar, mine can get the front wheels off the ground if I hit a bump (JD1070). You can still use the loader lift and lower circuit, but the bucket rotation ("curl") circuit will be inoperable because you pulled the hose off for the mixer cylinder. The hose is probably $20 and the male JIC-CUT connector is $16 at TSC as I recall.

That's all you need to spend. The 3rd circuit is probably 10 times more money. If money is no object, throw the bills and change into the mixer and tell your kids to go retrieve it someday in the future....

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520 #9  
You can also use the front remote from your loader...and a SA (single acting) cylinder will work by just plugging the one hose in and leaving the other port open.
Curious as to what happens to that 'other port open'.

When he move the selector towards that port to 'relax' the one to his SA cyl, where is that pressure going to go on the unused port ?

/ Single acting cylinder to JD 4520 #10  
Curious as to what happens to that 'other port open'.

When he move the selector towards that port to 'relax' the one to his SA cyl, where is that pressure going to go on the unused port ?

The system goes into relief for those few seconds while the SA cylinder is retracting.