Skid steer back-up camera

/ Skid steer back-up camera #1  

Jframe

In the 1.5 years I've owned my Bobcat S 185 skidsteer I have put on about 63 hours plowing our driveway, which has 3 houses. Rear visibility is very poor, and I plow in the dark most often. The bottom of the driveway goes along high tide, and the upper end meets a state highway. I plow up and down the highway, often hours before a state truck comes by, and seeing all around is important. A portion of the driveway is so steep that I really should only back up it but visibility in the dark is too poor to do that. So I bought an inexpensive, Chinese back-up camera. A Leekooluu-USA with a 4.5 inch screen was $49, delivered to AK by Amazon. I hate to buy Chinese stuff but was told that even the brand sold by Bobcat is Chinese. Installation took about 45 minutes, most of that time taken up deciding where to run the wires. I mounted the camera on the orange counter-weight using existing holes. I think I will cut a piece out of an orange Tide laundry detergent bottle to make a snow cover to protect the camera. I had to wait for a day without rain for installation as my garage ceiling is too low to allow lifting the cab. I have no idea about durability but it sure works well. It works in dark and daylight. One remarkable aspect; in reading the instructions I saw that I could email their Leekooluu customer service and choose 1 of 4 options as a gift. Option #1 was a complete second unit. So sure enough, a second camera, video, etc. came for free, cutting the price per unit in half. Since the thing is unitized, if any part of it dies I can just plug the replacement into the existing set-up. For me the small screen was the right choice as room inside the Bobcat cab is very limited. I sometimes wear a Colt Commander in a shoulder holster when I plow (as I am a 2nd Amendment nut, I guess) and if I gain 5 pounds I will be in trouble. I also rebuilt the tire chains, and now I am ready for another winter of plowing. I don't look forward to winter but I must say that the heated cab (and the Bobcat has a great heater) makes the plowing very tolerable.

/ Skid steer back-up camera #2  
How has the backup cam worked out? I have a big ol' Case skid steer w/ the same visibility problem. I previously would put my .410 in a scabbard on the tractor, but haven't thought about how best to carry my Sig in the skid steer.

@Jframe

/ Skid steer back-up camera #3  
I put 2 back up cameras on my 773 Bob Cat. I have a switch and I toggle between the 2. One is below the roof with a wide angle for close work. And the other is on the engine lid and shows a normal view out the rear for general backing up... I can easily back down the barn isle with these 2... all from amazon as well. Transformed the Bcat operations. I recommend it For anybody running one of the tin can machines.

/ Skid steer back-up camera #4  
Same kind of situation with me - use a tracked skidsteer with a snowblower, almost always in the dark. The blowing snow from the blower itself causes visibility issues too.

I didn’t try cameras because I figured it would take me too long to focus on the screen and figure out what I was looking at, plus the blowing snow would probably cover up the camera lens.

What i did do was buy some 12v magnetic mount led spot lights; stuck them on the roof and aimed them to the sides and back. Not only do they help me see much better, people can spot me better too.

/ Skid steer back-up camera #5  
Same kind of situation with me - use a tracked skidsteer with a snowblower, almost always in the dark. The blowing snow from the blower itself causes visibility issues too.

I didn’t try cameras because I figured it would take me too long to focus on the screen and figure out what I was looking at, plus the blowing snow would probably cover up the camera lens.

What i did do was buy some 12v magnetic mount led spot lights; stuck them on the roof and aimed them to the sides and back. Not only do they help me see much better, people can spot me better too.
I plan to install an LED lightbar on the top of my skid steer and probably an LED flood light on the rear. That will hopefully be enough light.

/ Skid steer back-up camera
How has the backup cam worked out? I have a big ol' Case skid steer w/ the same visibility problem. I previously would put my .410 in a scabbard on the tractor, but haven't thought about how best to carry my Sig in the skid steer.

@Jframe
No snow to plow as yet but I did a test run on the part of the driveway that is too steep to go up frontwards in the S185 without weight in the bucket according to the manual. When I do drive up this slope empty the front end is light and feels likely to flip. As I had hoped the camera allows me to back up the driveway, even in the dark. Without the camera I could not back up it as it's narrow and unlighted; if I got over the edge I would fall hundreds of feet into the N. Pacific. Visibility out of this skid steer is just so poor toward the rear. Now this unit is very light, and was of course very inexpensive, but if either the camera, the video or both fail I have a spare and that might get me by until another unit could be shipped. So far as I can see all of these sets are made in China, are inexpensive, and pretty much expendable. I would be curious if the one sold by Bobcat is that much more durable, if it's made in USA, etc. I cannot see how a more expensive unit could give me better visibility than this one does but one made in USA could at least appear to be more durable.

A friend stopped by. He is looking at a new Toolcat, and he is alternatively looking at a much bigger Bobcat skid steer which can also be used with 4 wheel steering (a 770 I think). I have my skid steer looking pretty good thanks to touch-up paint and car polish, and he said so, but I could tell he thought mounting the camera inside a cut-up Tide bottle (to protect it from snow, at least it's orange) might not fit with the beach houses. He was too kind to mention it; most of my friends would not have been that kind.

/ Skid steer back-up camera #7  
Just another thought - maybe install solar powered motion sensor spotlights up high in trees all along the edge of the driveway. As you drive by, they would light up for “x” amount of minutes. Would at least help guide you backing up (because you could see where the lights are, even though they might not make the actual driveway real bright)

Even reflective tape would help you “see” the driveway edges. I wrap reflective tape around the top of my driveway markers - the lights from my skidsteer make the tape visible from far away and help keep me on the right path, even in blowing snow.

/ Skid steer back-up camera #8  
Just another thought - maybe install solar powered motion sensor spotlights up high in trees all along the edge of the driveway. As you drive by, they would light up for “x” amount of minutes. Would at least help guide you backing up (because you could see where the lights are, even though they might not make the actual driveway real bright)

Even reflective tape would help you “see” the driveway edges. I wrap reflective tape around the top of my driveway markers - the lights from my skidsteer make the tape visible from far away and help keep me on the right path, even in blowing snow.
Great idea. Those cameras have night vision but they do better with some light...any light. We use amazon grade solar lights down by the entry gate. Not only do they make you feel welcome at night... they let give me a visual when the gate swings like when I'm closing it after dark from being open all day. Anyway - YEs! Amazon backup cameras rock in the B cat. I've plans to take it a step further with proximity alarms.
P.S.
I just covered the roof vent to keep my screen unit dry.

/ Skid steer back-up camera #9  
No snow to plow as yet but I did a test run on the part of the driveway that is too steep to go up frontwards in the S185 without weight in the bucket according to the manual. When I do drive up this slope empty the front end is light and feels likely to flip. As I had hoped the camera allows me to back up the driveway, even in the dark. Without the camera I could not back up it as it's narrow and unlighted; if I got over the edge I would fall hundreds of feet into the N. Pacific. Visibility out of this skid steer is just so poor toward the rear. Now this unit is very light, and was of course very inexpensive, but if either the camera, the video or both fail I have a spare and that might get me by until another unit could be shipped. So far as I can see all of these sets are made in China, are inexpensive, and pretty much expendable. I would be curious if the one sold by Bobcat is that much more durable, if it's made in USA, etc. I cannot see how a more expensive unit could give me better visibility than this one does but one made in USA could at least appear to be more durable.

A friend stopped by. He is looking at a new Toolcat, and he is alternatively looking at a much bigger Bobcat skid steer which can also be used with 4 wheel steering (a 770 I think). I have my skid steer looking pretty good thanks to touch-up paint and car polish, and he said so, but I could tell he thought mounting the camera inside a cut-up Tide bottle (to protect it from snow, at least it's orange) might not fit with the beach houses. He was too kind to mention it; most of my friends would not have been that kind.
I just ordered the backup camera as I already destroyed a couple of non-essential things the previous owner of our new house left. I'm 5'8" and when I try to look out the back of the skid steer I don't see anything close behind me. I may have to borrow the Tide bottle idea.

/ Skid steer back-up camera #10  
I put 2 back up cameras on my 773 Bob Cat. I have a switch and I toggle between the 2. One is below the roof with a wide angle for close work. And the other is on the engine lid and shows a normal view out the rear for general backing up... I can easily back down the barn isle with these 2... all from amazon as well. Transformed the Bcat operations. I recommend it For anybody running one of the tin can machines.
I thought I had posted the camera particulars here but I see I did not. Somebody asked so I'll put then here now. My screen is mounted to the roof replacing the rearview mirror. The cameras are waterproof, not sure the screen is waterproof and I do not have an enclosed cab - So I put a piece of sheet metal over the top of the open roof section to stop water from getting the screen wet.
The original camera and monitor screen in 1280p was from Amazon =

DVKNM Upgrade Backup Camera Monitor Kit,7-inch LCD-HD,IP69 Waterproof Rearview Reversing Rear View Camera Monitor​

Seen here > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HFWPRPG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I mounted this camera on the engine cover just above the engine door. The system is wired so I took power directly from the battery and ran the + lead through the key switch as opposed to the reverse light as the instructions say. This way if the machine is on the camera is on. This was good but I wanted more vision so I ordered a second camera. This got a little harder because the second camera I chose (wider angle) had a male vs female plug. I bought a male to male cable adapter on amazon that solved that proplem. There is a camera option that ships with 2 cameras... but I wanted different field of views.

The second camera was a 1080p 170º lens vs the original 140º. I mounted it on the underside of the roof at the rear edge. Per the instructions I wired this through a toggle switch installed by the key (powered from the key switch). Toggling the switch switch the view from camera 1 to camera 2. Honestly neither camera is perfect but having 2 views helps confirm what I'm seeing. The monitor has a selection of user options and adjustments. The picture quality could be better but it is quite usable. And a huge improvement over the OEM blind spots or any mirror.
These cameras are wired so there was a lot of cable. Too long too. But I just rolled it up and zip tied it to the roof behind my head where it is permenantly out of the way.
The second camera is this one here > https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09FHLTVBS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

PixelMan Backup Camera,AHD 1080P Metal 170 Degree Wide Angle Rearview Reversing Camera,PMD2A-S Clear Night Vision IP69 Waterproof Reverse Rear​

The cost for everything was about $115. I will post some pictures later.

Attachments

• IMG_3002.JPG
    IMG_3002.JPG
    325.3 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3003.JPG
    IMG_3003.JPG
    304.8 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3007.JPG
    IMG_3007.JPG
    261.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3008.JPG
    IMG_3008.JPG