Buying Advice Skid steer or 1460

/ Skid steer or 1460 #31  
I've got a couple 45's only about 5' high that I have to go up or down on occasionally. Down's easy. Up I have to get a run at it and pop over the top. I'm fairly certain I'd lose traction after a short bit if it were any longer as it's all sand. I have a road down to my lower field that's about 20 most of the way. That one's no problem. But about 4 hours into a brush cutting day, I notice significant loss of power going up, as the oil is plenty hot by then. So I shut off the brush cutter and head up and start it again at the top. I'm usually ready for a break, a snack, a drink, and let the machine cool down by then. Good time to clear off the front of the machine of debris, check hoses, blade bolts, etc.... then as well.

/ Skid steer or 1460 #32  
The oil pressure issue on severe slopes is why I hooked up the factory supplied low oil pressure switch on my PT180. I used a electronic siren (like some manufacturers use when you get off the seat with the PTO engaged). I have never noticed it come on when using the machine, but it is nice to know I have a way to determine if I lost oil pressure.

This Kohler engine list max angles of cont 20, intermittent 35. http://www.kohlerengines.com/engines/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2339_d.pdf

/ Skid steer or 1460 #33  
Here's the link to the service manual for the CH25 in my 2001 model year.
https://www.powerequipmentdirect.com/manuals/3dd7f0229f594b7a0c804a62742765d0.pdf

Page 7. 25 degrees.

564D8AD1-856F-444B-AD57-1844D889DFD5.png

/ Skid steer or 1460 #34  
I'm a little late to this discussion but will throw in my two cents. First, let me say that I love Power-Trac's I have three (multiple properties). I also have a compact track loader (skid steer with tracks) and a mini excavator. As others have mentioned, it depends on what you want to do.

The Power-Trac has many advantages. But it isn't NEARLY as strong as a compact track loader (CTL) when it comes to pushing, digging, or lifting. I recently saw a guy dig out an in-ground pool completely with a CTL. Frankly, I was shocked. He is a subcontractor for the pool company and digs all their pools with a CTL. You can pick up a nice used Japanese made Takeuchi CTL for significantly less than the cost of a 1460 and it's a FAR better made machine.

The problem with the skid steer is stability. If you get it on a small slope and raise the bucket, it can turn over easily. A compact track loader is a little better but nothing like the Power-Trac. As with most machines, everything is a compromise. If you intend on keeping the 1850 for specific duties, and add another machine, I would choose a machine that complements the 1850's strengths and weaknesses. For example, I wouldn't choose a skid steer or compact track loader for mowing on a slope. However, I wouldn't choose an 1850 for the purpose of any digging. I would list out the most frequent and important uses for my current AND likely future needs. I'd focus on 80/20 and select a machine that would work best 80% of the time. For the other 20%, I'd make do or rent a machine.

For the record, of all the machines I have, including a compact tractor, my favorite machine by far is still the good ole 425. It does a LOT for what it is. It's relatively cheap (especially if you buy used), fast, fun, doesn't tear up the yard, versatile and brings a smile every time I use it. I'm not suggesting you consider a 425...just adding context for others reading this post.

/ Skid steer or 1460 #35  
Hey all

So my wonderful 1850 is really showing wear. Last night i foend the holes connection the rollover arm to the connecting plate elongating. Probably what will happen is nect year i will take the machine off line and tear it down and improve it bur that said i brought up adding a 1460 to the fleet. I would keep the 1850 but put more abuse on the 1460. But tHe wife asked the hard question. Why not a skid steer. I need to check with terry but i think my implements cross over but outside of that i didnt have an answer because i have never has a skid. Any experienced thoughts?

One question that is on my mind, how many hours on your PT1850?

/ Skid steer or 1460 #36  
Hey all

So my wonderful 1850 is really showing wear. Last night i foend the holes connection the rollover arm to the connecting plate elongating. Probably what will happen is nect year i will take the machine off line and tear it down and improve it bur that said i brought up adding a 1460 to the fleet. I would keep the 1850 but put more abuse on the 1460. But tHe wife asked the hard question. Why not a skid steer. I need to check with terry but i think my implements cross over but outside of that i didnt have an answer because i have never has a skid. Any experienced thoughts?

Never asked, but can you post some pictures of the elongated holes?

/ Skid steer or 1460
Dunno on hours. I think i have had the machine 13 years so 750 to 1000 hours total Pictures forthcoming. Marrt great comments.

/ Skid steer or 1460 #38  
Woodland, your original question is similar to comparing a fork to a knife, just can't do it. I'd say that each machine would compliment the other as each excels in different tasks. Years ago Bobcat was selling "the Bobcat system" and that was a mini ex and a SS or CTL. Each machine had its capabilities and strong points. Imho, there's not enough difference between your proposed choices to warrant the expenditure.
Now I've followed your post over the years and am under the impression that you are dealing with hilly to steep ground, but beyond that, I'm only generalizing and selecting another man's tools with any certainty of his needs is just silly. With that said, get whatever you like (or your wife approves of) it's just a machine that can always be sold or traded. I'm the last guy in the world to talk someone out of another toy, er tool.
(What a rambling bunch of BS:laughing:)
I get by myself with a massive SS, a small excavator and my M9540 with a bunch of various attachments for each. :thumbsup: