Skidding Logs with tractor.

/ Skidding Logs with tractor. #1  

BufordBoone

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 & M7060
Is there any affordable attachment that would make it easy to approach logs, grab them and then drag them to another location?

We had our place logged for pine and there are now a bunch of cedar trees (the loggers cut to get to the pines) that I'd like to harvest and save for future projects.

I'd bet that most are less than 18" in diameter.

I've also thought of building something to attach to the front end loader but wonder if pulling with the loader is OK or something to avoid (kind of like many say you shouldn't use rear attachments to push heavy loads.

I'm figuring I want to drag trees to a common area where I can de-limb them and put the limbs in a burn pile.

Any ideas?

/ Skidding Logs with tractor. #2  
I use a simple skid plate for the 3-pt hitch, that lets me chain up a log (or 2) with a choker chain, lift the butt of the ground, then skid it. This one also doubles as a trailer hitch. Here's a pic on my old B2920, still using it many years later on my L3200.

IMG_2290.jpeg

Many variations on this concept, and could be rigged up fairly cheaply. Lifting the front butt of the log up off the ground is key to skidding with ease.

/ Skidding Logs with tractor. #3  
   / Skidding Logs with tractor. #4  
I do something similar but with the boom pole, use log tongs to lift the log. Then use a chain to choke it and pull off the bottom of 3ph to move it. Avoids the aggravation of trying to get the choker chain tight enough the first few tries. Got a 2" ball welded to bottom of boom pole for this reason, also to move a trailer into woods load it and pull out.

/ Skidding Logs with tractor. #5  
I do something similar but with the boom pole, use log tongs to lift the log.

That will be my plan if I ever had land flat enough to drive the tractor all the way to the tree:hissyfit:

/ Skidding Logs with tractor. #6  
If you can't get your tractor to the tree you may have to come up with a winch setup to snake them out.

/ Skidding Logs with tractor. #7  
Or you can use chains or cables to pull the logs out. It's not as convenient as a winch but costs less.

/ Skidding Logs with tractor. #8  
Or you can use chains or cables to pull the logs out. It's not as convenient as a winch but costs less.

Yep.....not as handy, but a lot cheaper. IF this is something you plan to do on a regular basis (I own 70ac of woodlot, and do have to skid out firewood/saw logs on a regular basis), consider buying a tractor winch. They are extremely handy for just what you're doing.

enhance

/ Skidding Logs with tractor. #10  
Our property is not flat, so I was leery of skidding tongs on the 3 point.
I've been using a grapple on front end, and this Small Wood Lot Tools - Timber Maintenance, Pre-commercial Thinning, Firewood, Fuel Reduction skidding tong set up. The skidding tongs are safe because you adjust the lower chain length to drag the log with your draw bar, so the 3 point only lifts the log up off the ground.
I've skidded over 100 logs from 16' to 60' long. Just back up, lower the 3 point and drive off. Rarely have to get off of the tractor to hook or unhook.
Patrick